• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Videos reveal moldy, disgusting Camp Lejeune barracks where Marines are forced to live

I sailed, briefly, on USS Anchorage in 1997. We embarked a naval HQ and a company of PPCLI for a landing exercise at Nanoose. I had previously sailed on a couple of HMC ships and understood the meaning of the word "shipshape". The Anchorage was more like a garbage scow than a naval vessel. We occupied the quarters normally assigned to the USMC and they were disgusting. The filth in the lower deck berths was so bad it reduced one of our MS to tears. Our Ops Chief, as I recall, took the issue in hand and with lots of hot water and elbow grease the cabins were made marginally habitable. The officers's berths were not much better but of course without an NCO to organize us we just wallowed in the dirt. I got the sense from the ship's crew that this was the usual state of affairs for the Marine's berths. I won't get into details of the USN crew's seamanship, other than to say that while transiting the Gulf Islands the senior RCN officer aboard was within seconds of seizing command of the ship to avoid the USN Captain taking us aground. That would have been interesting. Apparently navigation, like cleanliness, was not a critical factor on this ship.

I won't get into details of the USN crew's seamanship, other than to say that while transiting the Gulf Islands the senior RCN officer aboard was within seconds of seizing command of the ship to avoid the USN Captain taking us aground.
Tangent: One of the underlying issues that led to the collisions a few years back. Safe navigation and seamanship, for whatever reason, isn't front and centre in the USN Surface Warfare Officer training curriculum.

I've been on a couple of USN ships and they just seemed "industrial". HMC ships would have their messes that at least tried to look somewhat homey.

doing an ex in the winter:

"These shacks are freezing! What the hell?"

"Well....actually...they're supposed to only be for summer use, so there's no insulation.... you have 2 sleeping bags right?"
Only in Canada would we build shacks without insulation 😅🤦🏼‍♂️

It’s not like we use facilities and equipment outside of it’s intended use…

It isn’t like isn’t winter 6-7 months of the year…

Only in Canada would we build shacks without insulation 😅🤦🏼‍♂️

It’s not like we use facilities and equipment outside of it’s intended use…

It isn’t like isn’t winter 6-7 months of the year…
Those shacks were insulated, albeit poorly. I saw the insulation when a couple were being demolished for black mould. I had heard they were originally accommodations at DEW line sites that were moved to CRPTC when those sites were decommissioned. That would make them at least 50 years old.

When we stayed at Camp Lejeune in 1995 the shacks were not that bad. One thing I do remember is that the washroom did not have doors or walls between each toilet just a row of toilets. We thought it was strange and when we asked it were told it was to prevent drug use.
CFRS Cornwallis. No doors on the sh!tters.

Those shacks were insulated, albeit poorly. I saw the insulation when a couple were being demolished for black mould. I had heard they were originally accommodations at DEW line sites that were moved to CRPTC when those sites were decommissioned. That would make them at least 50 years old.
Isn’t 50 years old fairly young by DND shack infrastructure standards?

CFB Toronto. Building 132 JR ranks barracks
Common building plan for the period

Bathroom right beside my room the ceiling caved in above the toilets on a weekend.

The plaster and stuff was left exposed after the janitors did a clean up for months

Then the bathroom was closed off on a Monday for repairs ( full asbestos removal from the area of the caved in ceiling ) but no one was concerned about the asbestos till the civilian contractor came in to do a removal. We were allowed to use it everyday until contractors started work on the removal and repairs. They had full tyebeck suits, masks and other safety equipment. Janitors who did the first clear up had no protection. We were exposed to the asbestos and no concerns were raised. My room was next to the bathroom, shared a common wall and ceiling.

No wonder the city of Toronto did not want to take over any of the buildings after closing. Asbestos was a big concern in those old buildings

CFB Toronto. Building 132 JR ranks barracks
Common building plan for the period

Bathroom right beside my room the ceiling caved in above the toilets on a weekend.

The plaster and stuff was left exposed after the janitors did a clean up for months

Then the bathroom was closed off on a Monday for repairs ( full asbestos removal from the area of the caved in ceiling ) but no one was concerned about the asbestos till the civilian contractor came in to do a removal. We were allowed to use it everyday until contractors started work on the removal and repairs. They had full tyebeck suits, masks and other safety equipment. Janitors who did the first clear up had no protection. We were exposed to the asbestos and no concerns were raised. My room was next to the bathroom, shared a common wall and ceiling.

No wonder the city of Toronto did not want to take over any of the buildings after closing. Asbestos was a big concern in those old buildings

Pffffttt....

That happened in our armoury right above the RQ stores, as well as over another less critically vital part of the defence infrastructure.

It only took months and months to clean up...

Back