• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight

Thanks for the info!

</tangent> We now return you to your not so hastily scheduled politically motivated lynching...

Inside voice!  Inside voice, dammit!

FSTO said:
Thanks for the correction. :facepalm:

I suspect his lawyer has a number of other advisers lined up to walk through things like that.  It's what you say, how you look, how you present yourself that has an important impact on perceptions; this is a battle being fought on multiple planes.

jollyjacktar said:
Looking at his photograph today in his uniform, I couldn't help but notice he has the wrong type of SSI on.  Doesn't he have any wingers who could have got him the correct one, as he obviously wants to be properly on display today.  Don't Admirals have any friends or is it a shark tank at his level?

Also no name tag.

Actually, he is wearing a number 1A: No name tags unless specified by the commander.

As for the metal vs. cloth SSI: How would  he have known to change and got a proper one? He has been told to stay home, even though still in the service, for the last year and a half.

And really, except for a few obtuse ones of us, how many Canadians would know any of the difference? Or care?

They see him in full uniform with medals - that's what counts to them: He is making the statement "I am a top defence "soldier" of Canada, you try to impeach my honour at your own risk when it comes to putting Canada first".

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Actually, he is wearing a number 1A: No name tags unless specified by the commander.

As for the metal vs. cloth SSI: How would  he have known to change and got a proper one? He has been told to stay home, even though still in the service, for the last year and a half.

And really, except for a few obtuse ones of us, how many Canadians would know any of the difference? Or care?

They see him in full uniform with medals - that's what counts to them: He is making the statement "I am a top defence "soldier" of Canada, you try to impeach my honour at your own risk when it comes to putting Canada first".

Which l said to be fair, he was dressed correctly for his last assignment.  But again l ask, don't officers at this level look after each other at all, or is it every officer for himself? As l am not of that world, l don't know. 

I would like to think that were he a Chief, one of his wingers would have looked out for him.

jollyjacktar said:
... l ask, don't officers at this level look after each other at all, or is it every officer for himself? As l am not of that world, l don't know. 
As an alternate theory to him being abandoned by his peer group: Given his current state, he has no need to wear his uniform on any given day of the week. When most people put on a suit for their day in court, would anybody have known he was going to show up in uniform? Assuming he did speak a peer about the court date, given the gravity of the situation and implications for the individual and for how government works, (and despite our seemingly endless tinkering with them) where in conversational priority do you see fitting “what’s changed in buttons and bows since Jan 2017”? If nobody knew he was going to wear his uniform, what is the motivation to say “I’d better go check on the status of his uniform just in case he spontaneously appears in public with it this month”. I would be surprised even at the CWO/CPO1 level if somebody were worrying about this without prompting from the member ... and this member has bigger things to worry about.

Why is he wearing his uniform at all? If I have a Sgt busted for a DUI, and he shows up in court in full uniform, someone will likely have a chat with him very soon afterwards.

Now, maybe the courts are a little different here in Ontario. In Alberta, we were forbidden by the court from wearing a uniform inside the courtroom.

MCG said:
As an alternate theory to him being abandoned by his peer group: Given his current state, he has no need to wear his uniform on any given day of the week. When most people put on a suit for their day in court, would anybody have known he was going to show up in uniform? Assuming he did speak a peer about the court date, given the gravity of the situation and implications for the individual and for how government works, (and despite our seemingly endless tinkering with them) where in conversational priority do you see fitting “what’s changed in buttons and bows since Jan 2017”? If nobody knew he was going to wear his uniform, what is the motivation to say “I’d better go check on the status of his uniform just in case he spontaneously appears in public with it this month”. I would be surprised even at the CWO/CPO1 level if somebody were worrying about this without prompting from the member ... and this member has bigger things to worry about.

I've seen it and done it myself wrt buttons and bows.  Mess mates look after mess mates. 

My question was not a theory but simply a question.  The Weirdroom is not my area and the social actions therein are unknown to me as an outsider.  Still curious if it's all for one and one for all, or not.

I do agree, he had much on his plate to be sure.  But as someone else pointed out, his actions today were measured and deliberate display to send a message.

captloadie said:
Why is he wearing his uniform at all? If I have a Sgt busted for a DUI, and he shows up in court in full uniform, someone will likely have a chat with him very soon afterwards.

Now, maybe the courts are a little different here in Ontario. In Alberta, we were forbidden by the court from wearing a uniform inside the courtroom.

This is not a run of the mill DUI. It was a senior officer charged with an offence that allegedly happened while he was the senior officer of the RCN. His honour is at stake and I'm glad he showed up booted and spurred ready to go to the wall for his honour.

jollyjacktar said:
Which l said to be fair, he was dressed correctly for his last assignment.  But again l ask, don't officers at this level look after each other at all, or is it every officer for himself? As l am not of that world, l don't know. 

I would like to think that were he a Chief, one of his wingers would have looked out for him.

We of the Wardroom do look out for each other or at least I try to. I've seen enough cluster***k disasters in the officer corps that I try my best to ensure people look professional when they are stepping out.

FSTO said:
We of the Wardroom do look out for each other or at least I try to. I've seen enough cluster***k disasters in the officer corps that I try my best to ensure people look professional when they are stepping out.

That is good to hear that in your world, mess mates look after each other.

As a young guy l had a taste of your world while doing phase training in Gagetown as a Reserve Artillery OCdt.  The fellows l was with were mostly RMC and were not looking after each other, the atmosphere was poisonous.

jollyjacktar said:

As a young guy l had a taste of your world while doing phase training in Gagetown as a Reserve Artillery OCdt.  The fellows l were mostly RMC and were not looking after each other, the atmosphere was poisonous.

The ring knockers are a different breed for sure!  ;D

jollyjacktar said:

As a young guy l had a taste of your world while doing phase training in Gagetown as a Reserve Artillery OCdt.  The fellows l was with were mostly RMC and were not looking after each other, the atmosphere was poisonous.

The lucky Cbt Arms RESO OCdts managed to go to Gagetown outside of the summer course schedule so they could work with the DEO mob. The rest of us suffered through the extra character building experience ;)

jollyjacktar said:

That is weird. I was once an OCTP Artillery Officer who did the summer phase 2 course with the RMC crowd. My experience could not have been more different- we were all united in our hatred of the course staff!

jollyjacktar said:

I can only imagine that it must be different for GOFOs. 

I have detected an increasing trend of infantilizing our senior people.  I have seen up close how demanding their schedules can be, compounded by the sheer scope and scale of the issues we expect them to contend with (mostly because we do not delegate low enough, and believe that every issue must be touched by every GO).  As such, there is certainly value to providing the necessary support to manage all of that, but it sometimes appears that we have gone a step too far, and essentially made them increasingly reliant on the support network...and when that goes away, the adjustment must be difficult

Just a thought

Oldgateboatdriver said:

The regulation concerning not wearing nametags with N1 orders of dress was rescinded a long, long, long time ago.  Nametags are now required with all orders of dress, except ceremonial orders (which the Navy does not have) and Mess Dress.

Back