• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Or, when speaking generally and exact rank or seniority is irrelevant to the point being made, you can simply call any level of general rank by the broad moniker "general" and any flag officer by the moniker "admiral".

Works of me, and for the public at large.

SIDEBAR

Would one also refer to a Commodore that way?  For the junior services, a Brigadier General is a General, but the Senior Service has numerous quiffs...

dapaterson said:
SIDEBAR

Would one also refer to a Commodore that way?  For the junior services, a Brigadier General is a General, but the Senior Service has numerous quiffs...

No, no.  You call him "64"..:whistle:

dapaterson said:
SIDEBAR

Obviously we have a quiff, DP.

Commodores, only referred to as commodores, are not considered flag officers. They only have a broad pennant.  ;D

Vice Admiral Norman to make his first court appearance Tuesday, 10 Apr 2018, in an Ottawa courthouse.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4132239/mark-norman-case-shipbuilding-davie/

Just don't get your hopes too high.

This is just the first appearance where two things can happen: (1) The Admiral will enter a plea of not guilty or, (2) no plea will be entered as the Admiral elects trial before a jury - in which case the matter will be referred to a Superior court for a later date, when the plea will be entered.

In either case, the Admiral, does not have to be present, if he so wishes, as he has legal representation to speak on his behalf. For such politically charged case, not being present would not be unusual.

Either way, Vultures of all stripes and sizes will be out in force, no doubt.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
In either case, the Admiral, does not have to be present, if he so wishes, as he has legal representation to speak on his behalf. For such politically charged case, not being present would not be unusual.

Well the Admiral did appear and his presence (I would have worn the sword as well if I was him) was a very visible display of a shot across the governments bow

FSTO said:
Well the Admiral did appear and his presence (I would have worn the sword as well if I was him) was a very visible display of a shot across the governments bow

Weapons are not permitted in court; the optics of surrendering his sword would not have been good.

dapaterson said:
Weapons are not permitted in court; the optics of surrendering his sword would not have been good.

Thanks for the correction. :facepalm:

FSTO said:

Good on him. I also like the combination of cockiness and moral high ground found in his statement about getting back to work for Canada.

BZ.

I can't help but note that the Chantier Davie shipyard sits in the riding of Bellechasse-Les Etchemins-Levis... a riding currently held by Steve Blaney of the Conservatives. There couldn't possibly be a political dimension to this whole fiasco could there?

ModlrMike said:
I can't help but note that the Chantier Davie shipyard sits in the riding of Bellechasse-Les Etchemins-Levis... a riding currently held by Steve Blaney of the Conservatives. There couldn't possibly be a political dimension to this whole fiasco could there?
There is always a political dimension.  But wouldn't you think that for a ruling party, currently down in the polls, encouraging voters to switch allegiance in the next vote would be more beneficial than punishing them for their past selection?  The libs currently have the east coast under wraps; it is in Quebec and Ontario that they need to cement relationships and even by implication going after Davies is not the way to win popularity

Looking at his photograph today in his uniform, I couldn't help but notice he has the wrong type of SSI on.  Doesn't he have any wingers who could have got him the correct one, as he obviously wants to be properly on display today.  Don't Admirals have any friends or is it a shark tank at his level?

Cloth is out and metal is in on CFs.  Has been for some time now.

Interesting, I hadn't heard.  Did they switch dolphins and dive insignia to metal as well, or are they playing fast and loose again?

Just the SSI. (As far as l know)  The cloth badge is to be worn on the NCD.  And to be fair to the man, his uniform is correct for when he was last in the office.

Back