• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAdm Norman - Supply Ship contract: Legal fight

At a sub section meeting we were told the following, which came from the top.  For all uniformed personnel, we are not to comment on this subject in social media.  Civilians within the department are encouraged to refrain from commenting as well. 

jollyjacktar said:
At a sub section meeting we were told the following, which came from the top.  For all uniformed personnel, we are not to comment on this subject in social media.  Civilians within the department are encouraged to refrain from commenting as well.

I'm surprised it took this long for that directive to be made. Maybe a NAVGEN is in order?

jollyjacktar said:

I'm sorry, but are they suggesting you could comment if, for example, you were dressed like Yoassarian at his medal ceremony?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 11.27.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 11.27.32 AM.png
    327.3 KB · Views: 260
whiskey601 said:
I'm sorry, but are they suggesting you could comment if, for example, you were dressed like Yoassarian at his medal ceremony?

:rofl:  That might be a nice Catch 22.

FSTO said:
I'm surprised it took this long for that directive to be made. Maybe a NAVGEN is in order?
Be an interesting message. "Support and trust your chain of command, but don't do it for this guy."

PuckChaser said:
Be an interesting message. "Support and trust your chain of command, but don't do it for this guy."
Mixed Messaging R Us

He is heading back to court and a legal defence fund has raised money on his behalf.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mark-norman-court-costs-1.4662223

jollyjacktar said:
He is heading back to court and a legal defence fund has raised money on his behalf.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mark-norman-court-costs-1.4662223

Against my better judgement I went to the comment section.  :facepalm:

I think that this is all on Scott Brison (MP for Kings-Hants NS). Project Resolve embarrassed him in front of his Irving benefactors.

FSTO said:

I think that this is all on Scott Brison (MP for Kings-Hants NS). Project Resolve embarrassed him in front of his Irving benefactors.

Ask yourself who holds the riding where Davie is located versus where Irving is located. I think the answer speaks for itself.

One remark in the comments caught my eye:
"Henein will chew these fools up if they are stupid enough to allow it to go to trial."

One can only hope.  :)

FSTO said:

You weren't kidding...

67483677.jpg

ModlrMike said:
Ask yourself who holds the riding where Davie is located versus where Irving is located. I think the answer speaks for itself.

That's what boils my butt about all of this. Its never ever about capability, its always about pork barrel politics.

It's also about Irving's perspective that they're the only company that can, and should build ships in Canada.

ModlrMike said:
It's also about Irving's perspective that they're the only company that can, and should build ships in Canada.

An argument I could buy if and only if Irving itself stopped building and buying ships for their own fleet abroad - which is not the case: For themselves, they go for cheaper overseas builds. If you own a shipyard and don't even bother building your own ships, why should the taxpayer build at your place?

The fact is Irving never bought the Halifax shipyard with the expectation that it would be building ships after completion of the MCDV's. They bought it to have a refit yard for their own ships - no more. The small contract they got for the Coast Guard's mid-shore patrol vessels - built under the old yard's set up - was not exactly a glowing success.

And now they lucked out and have stumbled into the biggest shipbuilding contract in Canadian history, likely only because at the time, Davie was out of contention (just coming out of bankruptcy protection and as a result, applying at the last minute only for the "non-combatants" program).

ModlrMike said:

Sounds like “we’re entitled to our entitlements” crew.

Admiral Norman finally has a court date.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/norman-military-corruption-court-1.4807987
Mark Norman's military corruption trial will play out during the 2019 election campaign
Murray Brewster · CBC News · Posted: Sep 03, 2018 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

It will be next summer before Vice-Admiral Mark Norman goes to trial on a single charge of breach of trust — putting a politically-charged corruption case right in the middle of the next federal election campaign.

A trial date of Aug. 19, 2019 was set as the military's former second-on-command elected Tuesday to be tried in provincial court, a hearing that is expected to take seven weeks.

His lawyer, Marie Henein, denied she wanted the case heard during a politically sensitive time and said the long run-up is needed because of a fight with the government over disclosure of documents.

She said she has asked the Crown to waive cabinet secrecy on all documents related to the case — a request to which the government has not responded.

"It's quite an extraordinary prosecution where, really, the complainants decide what we get to look at, what's important and what's not," she said following Tuesday's court appearance.

"We've asked for a full waiver of cabinet confidence so that we can defend this case, so that we can see the full story, and that waiver is still not forthcoming."

Henein also served notice in court Tuesday that she will be bring forward a motion early next year to have the charges against Norman stayed.

The clock is ticking. The Supreme Court of Canada's landmark Jordan decision requires that an accused face trial in a provincial court within 18 months of being charged.

The judge hearing the Norman case on Tuesday asked Henein if she would be flexible about the deadline. Henein said she was not prepared to waive anything as long as issues of disclosure by the Crown remain in play.

Norman was charged last spring after the RCMP accused him of leaking cabinet secrets to a Quebec shipyard in relation to a contract to lease a supply ship to the navy.

The charges relate to his time as commander of the navy. He was, at the time of being charged, the vice chief of the defence staff.

Norman was removed from the post this summer, but remains suspended with pay. His job is now being filled by the former commander of the Canadian Army, Lt.-Gen. Paul Wynnyk.

On Tuesday, Norman thanked his supporters, some of whom sat through the court proceedings.

"This has been a really difficult time and it's going to continue to be a real challenge and I just want everybody to know how much that support means to me," he said.

A Go-Fund-Me page has been set up to defray his legal costs, which the federal government has refused to pay. It has a set goal of $200,000, of which $140,450 had been raised by Tuesday.

Blackadder1916 said:
Admiral Norman finally has a court date.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/norman-military-corruption-court-1.4807987

Based on an August 19th trial start, with seven weeks scheduled for trial, it's very possible that there will not yet be a verdict by the election. It doesn't specify if this will be a jury or a judge only trial, though I wouldn't be surprised to see this go jury for strategic reasons.

All the dirty details will get out though, without the pesky facts of a verdict. I think politically, the Liberals are going to feel karma from the Mike Duffy debacle.

Back