• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

So I have a departmental review in, after being dicked around by VAC representatives giving me the wrong information since 2015, has been at stage three for 62 weeks now. Wait time is 54. BUT in April it was 30 something. I remember on April 17 my application hit the exact wait time estimate, and every week older my application has gotten, the wait times have increased. As well the oldest application in processing for departmental reviews at the time was October 2018, it’s still October 2018. I’m happy to see that some people are getting answers, and even under the estimated wait times. But I currently have three applications in, one mental health (5 weeks beyond wait time) one departmental review (8 weeks beyond wait time) and one rubber stamp (5 weeks beyond wait time) and I can’t get anything from VAC reps but “our wait time estimates are an average of the applications completed in the last 90 days, some applications are more complicated and take more time.” I check in every two weeks for an update on the oldest applications in processing, and they’re not moving at all. Any one have any suggestions? I’m getting desperate. Their last email to me even contained the passive aggressive “as previously mentioned...”. I’m at my wits end.

So I went to check on the status of my files which are both over a year at this point. Of course, no change but I got curious to find what VAC is saying the wait time is. I googled the wait time tool because I can't find a link on the MyVAC site and saw that it was at 65 weeks for an initial claim (which we all know is low). Last time I checked it was in the low 50s (53 maybe). This thread popped up in the Google search and for those who have forgotten this thread was started in 2015. Back then people were complaining about 4,5 or 6 month waits.

I also found a VAC document from Aug 2015 that states that 73% of applications were processed in under 16 weeks for FY 12/13 while an auditor general report had the number at 75% for FY 13/14 although it found
We found that from the veterans’ perspective, it takes about twice as long as the Veterans Affairs Canada standard (32 weeks compared with 16 weeks) for 80 percent of veterans to receive an eligibility decision

What a difference a few years make. Basically, I'm just nostalgic for the days I only had to wait twice the standard wait time instead of 4 or 5 times as long.

Here is the AG report. https://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/parl_oag_201411_03_e_39961.html#hd5e

E-mailed Veterans Affairs through MyVAC looking for any update on my current claim for PTSD. I’m currently at 54 weeks since Step 3 (September 23 2019) and was told that similar claims are still dating back as far as October 2018. Just curious if anybody on here has a claim In this category dating back further than October 2018 since we can’t seem to trust anything they say.

Had a claim, not PTSD but same category went to complete last month. Stage 3 was from Feb 2019

Currently at 83 weeks at stage 3. Called in July and they said they were working on October 2018 files and to call back and check in October. Called today and guess what...They are still working on Oct 2018 files.

Just received notification my departmental review has been completed. Still don't have a decision letter but it was 452 days between SSD and completion. That's just shy of 15 months. It's actually pretty close to the wait time tool estimate, which is surprising.

Have a claim for hearing loss and tinnitus, which I'm led to believe is as close to a "rubber stamp" file as they come.

I've been at stage 1 (they have received my paperwork, nothing else) for 35 weeks. The wait time page says they start counting when they have the "complete application; including confirmed diagnosis and any supporting documents". Not sure if that means stage 2 or stage 1. The wait time page also says the estimated wait time for a similar file is 11 weeks, last calculated on October 28 (today).

The representative I spoke to on the phone was apologetic, but seemed unsurprised.

Something is wrong over there.

Ask to speak to a Veterans Service Agent. They can usually give you more information and send requests through if they can’t figure out what’s going on. Much more helpful than the 1800 line.

RedFive said:
Have a claim for hearing loss and tinnitus, which I'm led to believe is as close to a "rubber stamp" file as they come.

I've been at stage 1 (they have received my paperwork, nothing else) for 35 weeks. The wait time page says they start counting when they have the "complete application; including confirmed diagnosis and any supporting documents". Not sure if that means stage 2 or stage 1. The wait time page also says the estimated wait time for a similar file is 11 weeks, last calculated on October 28 (today).

The representative I spoke to on the phone was apologetic, but seemed unsurprised.

Something is wrong over there.

I submitted tinnitus and hearing loss on 20 Aug 20.  It only took a few days for both to go to Stage 2.  Yesterday, tinnitus went to Stage 3, and this morning I received a note from the person handling my case asking for some additional information.  That seems pretty efficient - and as I understand it, the wait times start at Stage 3.

Having said that, I submitted 9 other conditions on 2 Dec 19, and they are all still at Stage 1.....  Seems they want to clear the decks of the easier cases first (like hearing).

It took me almost exactly one year from the time I submitted my application for a review of my disability pension due to deteriorating hearing until the notice of a (favourable) decision. The money, including payment back to my initial application date, was in the bank before I knew a decision had been taken. In this case, and considering the affects of the pandemic on VA, I would have to say I am satisfied with both the process and outcome.

I contacted VAC in early June to request a reassessment on a wrist injury as I was unable to initiate it myself through their site. I was told the request was sent to the Paramedical Assistant at my area office and that I would be contacted and receive the necessary paperwork shortly. It's a reassessment, the "necessary" paperwork consists of online forms. Other than that it's a matter of making me an appt to see their doctor. It's been over 6 months now and I have received nothing. I can accept that wait times are atrocious but 6 months to acknowledge my request and send me some forms is absurd. I did attempt to follow up with them several times to ensure I didn't slip through the cracks. I was told that they are experiencing some delays in reassessment packages being sent out due to the COVID-19 pandemic and my request is active and in progress. I can only imagine what wait times are like if after 6 months I haven't even received the documentation to initiate my reassessment.

TheKings8th said:
I contacted VAC in early June to request a reassessment on a wrist injury as I was unable to initiate it myself through their site. I was told the request was sent to the Paramedical Assistant at my area office and that I would be contacted and receive the necessary paperwork shortly. It's a reassessment, the "necessary" paperwork consists of online forms. Other than that it's a matter of making me an appt to see their doctor. It's been over 6 months now and I have received nothing. I can accept that wait times are atrocious but 6 months to acknowledge my request and send me some forms is absurd. I did attempt to follow up with them several times to ensure I didn't slip through the cracks. I was told that they are experiencing some delays in reassessment packages being sent out due to the COVID-19 pandemic and my request is active and in progress. I can only imagine what wait times are like if after 6 months I haven't even received the documentation to initiate my reassessment.

Wait times continue to rise, despite more assurances that VAC is training more people and that the government is focused on helping Veterans during Covid. Maybe they are focusing on existing clients (although I haven't heard boo from anyone). I had review completed at 65 weeks, and my current claim is sitting a day shy of 73 weeks. It is funny to go back to the first post on this thread where the concern was that VAC had an average of 24 weeks instead of 16.

Well I have to give credit where credit is due. I had all my documentation in to VAC on 15 Dec for an initial claim. File moved to step 3 on 23 Dec and completed on 4 Jan. Crazy. Now we will see how long it takes for them to get me a letter. I've been quick to complain about prior service so I thought I'd make a point of giving them a pat on the back here. I wish everyone had an experience like mine. Still waiting for them to even initiate my reassessment claim however. That one has now been 7 months and I don't even have my forms.

Well I have to give credit where credit is due. I had all my documentation in to VAC on 15 Dec for an initial claim. File moved to step 3 on 23 Dec and completed on 4 Jan. Crazy. Now we will see how long it takes for them to get me a letter. I've been quick to complain about prior service so I thought I'd make a point of giving them a pat on the back here. I wish everyone had an experience like mine. Still waiting for them to even initiate my reassessment claim however. That one has now been 7 months and I don't even have my forms.
Wait. What? That's like 3 weeks. I'm at like 18 months. How did even happen? Was it sexual favours because I'm not opposed to that at this point?

Wait. What? That's like 3 weeks. I'm at like 18 months. How did even happen? Was it sexual favours because I'm not opposed to that at this point?
My cynical side is guessing that’s how they get the average wait time down... pick a couple new cases.

Good question. I'm not complaining though. With my other claim combined I'll probably still average 80 weeks.

My cynical side is guessing that’s how they get the average wait time down... pick a couple new cases.
This is quite possible. That said, I spoke too soon. So apparently they no longer include the form to opt for the lump sum payment. I was told it will be up to 6 weeks to receive that in my inbox. Ugh. They were doing so well.

Just got in touch with VAC to see what the oldest cases related to my category (mental health) were. I received a rather long winded and borderline irritated email back saying that they are still working on cases that go as far back as December 2018 and since I’ve only been waiting 72 weeks (Sept 2019) I shouldn’t expect an answer for some time.
Now a coworker of mine whom had submitted his similar claim 5 months (Jan 2020) after me and was given his 40% payout after only 30 weeks, just received another 10% because they’ve already done an administrative review at his behest. How can that even be possible?
Nothing like feeling like you’re being kicked while you’re down.

My only mental health claim took 30 months to get the 10% initial assessment approved and I am now on 12 months waiting for the final assessment. However, I don't expect that for another 18 months at least.

Sorry for your wait, but I think your coworker is the exception.

Back