• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

Harley52 said:
I hate to disappoint everybody but I am presently waiting at 107 weeks for a new application and still waiting with no end in sight.

Harley,
Has your file been at Step 3 for 107 weeks or you initially submitted the Application 107 weeks ago.

If anyone has a file that has been sitting at step 3 before Jun 2018 they will escalate it, you might need to talk to someone higher but they will do it.  Call the VAC Obudsman or your MP.

Firebird, I miscalculated, it's 85 weeks, 5 days in Stage 3.  You have a long wait yet.

I expect that when I die, whenever that might be, I will still have pending applications with VAC. Of course, they'll not know I'm dead, but they'll toss thousands into my, now, inactive bank account😬

Listen up veterans, recently the federal government actioned and paid out over 8 million applications for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) within weeks; however, they seem to have great difficulty actioning the backlog of 40,000 veteran disability applications at Veterans Affairs Canada with many waiting times in excess of 3 years.  Obviously, Canadian military veterans have a low priority with respect to disability benefits. 

Frustrating part is waiting years for a decision that you will likely have to appeal, which will take another 1.5 years in order to get benefits.

I waited two years on an application that I have had to appeal and now am at 6 months on the appeal and I’m pretty sure the process has come to a complete hault. No idea what’s going on. So Firebird and Harley, you’re Completely right. This is disheartening to say the least. And by the way, if you die before the application is completed, it does not pay out. (Maybe to financial dependents, that I’m not sure of. But to your family if your kids are grown, nope.) My neighbour recently passed from long undiagnosed cancer, likely caused if not at least contributed to by his 30 years as a hull tech on ships, and they told him that if he dies before his application is completed then his kids won’t see a dime. He went years not knowing the benefits he was entitled to and neglecting his health because of a lack of cash flow, and all they offered to do when he passed was help with funeral expenses, and only after the fact, if the medical professionals could reasonably say that his service at least contributed to the cancer. 🤦‍♀️

52,704,000 seconds
878,400 minutes
14,640 hours
610 days
87 weeks and 1 day

and still waiting.

I emailed VAC (since you can no longer call and speak to someone unless it is an emergency) and inquired as to the current applications being processed.
-So the wait time for first time applications may be 58 weeks, but they currently have applications as old as August 2018. That’s ~120 weeks.
-Reassessments are on the wait time tool as 22 weeks, however they have applications as old as June 2019 not yet processed. At least Triple the wait time they are giving.
-And departmental reviews, wait time says 44 weeks, but applications as old as October 2018 are still in processing. 18 months....
I find myself always asking the VAC representative “why do you refer me to the wait time tool when the times on it are so wildly inaccurate?” And I’m always given a form answer about how complicated applications take longer and simple ones less time. Yes, obviously, I’m not stupid. But who is getting their applications completed in less than the wait time? I would really like to know.
In 2015 when I put in my first application, I was told 16 weeks. They had all the information on hand from the military, didn’t even request further documentation. In 2015, my application took 9 months to complete. More than twice the time I was told.
So I ask again, who’s applications are getting finished UNDER the expected wait times?
Also, has anyone had an application completed since the whole pandemic? They claim that their processing has not been affected, is that another falsity?

I also wonder whose applications are being completed in less than 58 weeks. I am currently at 75 weeks and don't see my application as being all that complicated. It was Veteran Affairs that told me to submit the application after I submitted a reassessment for an approved claim. They advised me that with the Tables of Disabilities they use it would be more beneficial for me if I submitted the claim as a new application vs reassessment. I initially submitted the reassessment back in 2016. They suspended that application and then advised me to submit a new application. Part of the delay with new application was a missing signature from my doctor nut that was rectified and the application went to Step 3 in Nov 2018. 75 weeks ago.
If applications are complicated then it may make sense why it may take a little longer to collect information and prepare file but once that is completed and it reaches Step 3 for decision then they should just make the decision. At least then if it is not favorable then you can engage Bureau Pension Advocates for an appeal.

Why are they doing this? Because they can, they don't care and there is no accountability. The new ombudsman has been basically radio silent since taking the job. Even when his office takes a complaint, they can't do anything. We have no recourse and VAC knows it. Calls to the ombudsman, letters to MP's and even lawsuits have failed to change anything for the better. It is very disheartening.

My application was completed this afternoon at 3pm. I waited 86 weeks at step 3. There is no "new" money under my monthly allowances so I assume it was denied. I spoke with someone and they said that decision letters are not being mailed right now, but I should see one within 5 business days in MYVAC inbox. They couldn't give me more information other than if I would like to appeal  the decision (whatever that decision is) I have to wait on the letter. So I assume I'm in for another long haul.

There is absolutely no excuse for a decision to take 86 weeks. And then to be denied so you know that to appeal it will likely be another 18 months by the time you can get dr appts and resubmit paperwork and wait for a decision. Govt is throwing money around to everyone and anyone but I have yet to hear the Minister of Veteran Affairs voice any concerns for Veterans.

Just received notification from VAC on my two outstanding claims 86 weeks and 88 weeks both denied.  Easy cop out. Oh well.

Pitiful. Write your MP anyway, as well as to Canada's major newspapers(letters to editor)/broadcasters.Include the contrast as to how Vets are treated.

Harley52 said:
Just received notification from VAC on my two outstanding claims 86 weeks and 88 weeks both denied.  Easy cop out. Oh well.

Don't give up dude. VAC can make some pretty wacky mistakes, take full advantage of their grievance process for denied claims. I'd get the legion to help too.

Back