• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

Been awfully quiet in here, does this mean VAC beat us all down?

My wife spoke to a friend who said they were working on files from February of 2018. That is something right?

kalobis said:

My wife spoke to a friend who said they were working on files from February of 2018. That is something right?

You never know where they are. Call five times, you'll get five different answers

On your other point, VAC hasn't  beat me down. I also know that worring bout it is useless and unhealthy. I don't panic much, because they have to include backpay. I'm out nothing but time. Something I have an abundance of.

They've been giving me consistent answers with regards to times, maybe they started noting down what they tell you. A week and a half ago I got first applications were on Feb 18 and reassessments on Dec 18. Been trying to get a suspended claim restarted since I uploaded the required forms a month ago but still nothing. 8 months now without even going to stage 2....

kalobis said:

My February 18 claim was completed a couple weeks ago. Now I just need to wait for money and the results of the appeal I had to submit.

I still have 2 ongoing but the one nearest completion is only at 47 weeks. I stopped complaining until it hits a year.

Applying for Tinnitus. I just got informed that my claim Is in step 3 nous. The estimated wait time is 24 weeks. I’m just curious as to when this 24 weeks starts because of the wording in the comment section in the Track my application section:

"Your claim is at the decision making level. All your supporting documentation was received on February 25, 2019. Although we strive to provide a decision within 16 weeks, we are currently experiencing a higher than normal volume of applications"

Feb 25th is the exact day I placed my claim. The way it’s worded means the 24 week wait starts then?

lapinpunki said:
Applying for Tinnitus. I just got informed that my claim Is in step 3 nous. The estimated wait time is 24 weeks. I’m just curious as to when this 24 weeks starts because of the wording in the comment section in the Track my application section:

"Your claim is at the decision making level. All your supporting documentation was received on February 25, 2019. Although we strive to provide a decision within 16 weeks, we are currently experiencing a higher than normal volume of applications"

Feb 25th is the exact day I placed my claim. The way it’s worded means the 24 week wait starts then?

Yes, the timer starts from Feb 25. Will be longer than 24 weeks.

lapinpunki said:

My last claim was 15 months from the time I provided all the documentation to a decision. I have added another month waiting for a form to arrive that is required to be submitted in order to receive a lump sum payment. I'm looking at 6 weeks after that to finally receive the bulk of my award. So assuming the form arrives tomorrow (unlikely) and I send it to them electronically (likely) it will be in the neighbourhood of 18 months from application to award.

Based on my claims, I would estimate the time has increased by almost in the last 4 years.

In a new development, I have been on hold for the my VAC account for the last 5 minutes. I didn't even know that was possible. VAC is really innovative.

Tcm621 said:
My last claim was 15 months from the time I provided all the documentation to a decision. I have added another month waiting for a form to arrive that is required to be submitted in order to receive a lump sum payment. I'm looking at 6 weeks after that to finally receive the bulk of my award. So assuming the form arrives tomorrow (unlikely) and I send it to them electronically (likely) it will be in the neighbourhood of 18 months from application to award.

Based on my claims, I would estimate the time has increased by almost in the last 4 years.

My current claim for a single condition was submitted in March of 2018 and all required documents were received late June 2018. I called last week and was told best guess was my file would receive a decision by December 2019 or January 2020. So add at least a month for the payout paperwork (if the claim is approved) and it's about a 20 month wait from the completed file or 24 months from opening the application to payout...

It's a joke that they even have 16 weeks as the standard they strive for... I certainty don't expect same day service but 2 years is comical. The message is pretty clear, I'm asking for more than the government has to give!

RangerDave said:
My current claim for a single condition was submitted in March of 2018 and all required documents were received late June 2018. I called last week and was told best guess was my file would receive a decision by December 2019 or January 2020. So add at least a month for the payout paperwork (if the claim is approved) and it's about a 20 month wait from the completed file or 24 months from opening the application to payout...

It's a joke that they even have 16 weeks as the standard they strive for... I certainty don't expect same day service but 2 years is comical. The message is pretty clear, I'm asking for more than the government has to give!

I have been waiting for about 6 weeks for the paperwork. Apparently they sent it on the 31st of August and Canada post takes longer to deliver their mail than anyone else's. I can't believe they can't scan it and email me a copy.

Tcm621 said:
I have been waiting for about 6 weeks for the paperwork. Apparently they sent it on the 31st of August and Canada post takes longer to deliver their mail than anyone else's. I can't believe they can't scan it and email me a copy.

You got a VAC office nearby? You can go in and get them to print it out for you.

Apparently they sent it on the 31st of August and Canada post takes longer to deliver their mail than anyone else's. I can't believe they can't scan it and email me a copy.

All VAC/BPA mail is couriered to a central mailing point where it is then released to Canada Post. Offices are not authorized to send mail by Canada Post, nor I believe email as what they send is classified. All BC mail is sent to a PQ office for mailing. Cant remember the location.

How does it work to get a lump sum instead of monthly? How long does it take from “completed” to received?

lapinpunki said:
How does it work to get a lump sum instead of monthly? How long does it take from “completed” to received?

Call VAC and tell them you want the lump sum election form. They will either mail it to you or send it to your My VAC account within 4-6 weeks. Once you fill it out and submit it, it can take another 4-6 weeks to receive the money in your bank account.

Rifleman62 said:
All VAC/BPA mail is couriered to a central mailing point where it is then released to Canada Post. Offices are not authorized to send mail by Canada Post, nor I believe email as what they send is classified. All BC mail is sent to a PQ office for mailing. Cant remember the location.
Kirkland Lake? When my wife worked at VAC everything went through there. They didn’t do anything with it, it just had to be sorted there as a make work project or something.

Anyone hear from VAC lately? What files are they working on? February of 2018?

This week I was told via email that for Departmental Reviews they are working on June 2018. That said, about 5 months ago I was told they were working on July 2018. Who knows? Have been at level 3 since August 2018.

I have a file in Step 3 from May 2018, but it isn't a Departmental Review so I guess they have different timelines. It says 26 weeks average and I am around 80 weeks haha, what a system.

Just adding to this.

I've had a reassessment applied for, May 2019 is when it went to step 3.

Average wait time says 15 weeks, my Case Manager told me my file is still young compared to many others.

I don't expect to hear anything for at least a year wait time by what I'm reading.

My big question is, what is the purpose of the wait time tool. It seems like its only an effort to placate and lie to us Veterans.

Tcm621 said:
In a new development, I have been on hold for the my VAC account for the last 5 minutes. I didn't even know that was possible. VAC is really innovative.

It really isn't, I work in IT as a career. Its an ancient outdated system, I mean as in early 2000s is when what they are using was developed. I can write on a whiteboard for weeks as to how to improve it, new additions new ideas.

I know people say "its not healthy, or good to be stressed over this"

But to be honest, I have no choice. I am losing my hearing, and have been since 2012, Direct cause is not certain, could be a few things, Lariam, IEDs, and mortar strikes, my ENT is 100% certain its from service. I am awarded it at near 20% if I recall correctly with Tinnitus and Hearing loss, However I am at about 400 DSHL and hearing aids are not of much use lately.

I am a manager at a technical support company, global, a major telecomm producer in the world, with some of the largest sites imaginable, 50-100k users, hearing is essential to my job.... I have a family to support. I don't have luxury of time. I need some kind of reengagement training, etc. Apparently you can only get it once gone....nice....

Currently waiting since April 2018 on a departmental review.... that they made a mistake on.

Back