• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

What are the rules surrounding speaking to a Member of Parliament as a serving member? I am so tired of this shit. I got the following message from VAC in response to my recent inquiry on a 45 week old claim.

-Personal details removed-

Thank you for using My VAC Account and our secure email services.

I am sorry for the delay. At present, your claims for X, and Y
is in Adjudication at Veterans Affairs Canada’s Head
Office. The average turnaround time for multiple condition disability
benefits claims is approximately 32 weeks.

In your case, the turnaround time started for Y started 2018-02-28. However,
Adjudication is currently processing claims dated July 2017.
We are tracking the progress of your claim and it will be processed
as soon as possible.

-snip-

Again, we apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.
You will be notified by mail when the decision is complete.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact
us again via My VAC Account or our toll-free number, 1-866-522-2122.

Sincerely,

VAC EMPLOYEE
National Contact Centre Network Analyst
Veterans Affairs Canada

So the average turnaround time is 32 weeks but they are just now getting to files 88 weeks old and my 45 week old claim will take another 26 weeks before they get to it. I am tired of being lied to. I am tired of being told they are hiring more staff and wait times keep rising because we are making too many claims. I have been told that the Standard SERVICE date doesn't start until it goes to head office (not true). I have been told that a recent diagnosis is required for old injuries yet the inquires resolution officer I spoke with told me that is not needed. I had a file go from completed to stage 3 because of something caught in stage 4(?) and it needed to go back to stage 3 for revision. Either VAC has a habit of lying to Veterans or their heads are so far up their asses they have no idea what goes on. I am a firm believer in Hanlon's razor which states, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity", but neither one is acceptable.

As I said in Nov, maybe VAC should triage ALL the files in the system. Quick review for conceivably, grant the claim at the max, with a provision of non precedent approval with respect to a one time benefit, then start from scratch.

There is obviously something seriously screwed up with the process that VAC utilize. Or the personnel.

On January 8, 2019, I received an email reply from VAC regarding claims they are working on...

This was their reply in part: 

"The oldest claims that we are currently working on are for the Service Standard Start Date
of July 2017. We are monitoring the progress of your claim and will advise you of the results in writing as soon as they become available."

Interesting update today from the call center, from what i was told - that wait time calculator that they brought out online for members to check wait times is actually pretty dead on accurate, but I'm also told these appear to be newer applications cause they are actually 32 weeks old, 32 weeks means roughly that summer 2018 files are being processed currently. Also clarified that these are not the rush claims such as tinnitus, knees, and mental health. So it appears they are they are showing a reduction in wait times to the public eye by processing new claims faster than older ones (looks good for election year maybe), and thus the guys with applications from 2017 are still waiting. Separate departments or adjudicators for older claims vs new ones? nothing surprises me these days.

cctchevy18 said:
Interesting update today from the call center, from what i was told - that wait time calculator that they brought out online for members to check wait times is actually pretty dead on accurate, but I'm also told these appear to be newer applications cause they are actually 32 weeks old, 32 weeks means roughly that summer 2018 files are being processed currently. Also clarified that these are not the rush claims such as tinnitus, knees, and mental health. So it appears they are they are showing a reduction in wait times to the public eye by processing new claims faster than older ones (looks good for election year maybe), and thus the guys with applications from 2017 are still waiting. Separate departments or adjudicators for older claims vs new ones? nothing surprises me these days.

So....tell us.....did you buy the bridge they were selling you too?  Not for one second would I believe anything from the department.  Not one iota.    Good afternoon laugh though.  Cheers!

I called the other day and they said they are still working on claims with service standard start dates of July 2017.  My application is for PTSD from 12 years of being a RCMP member and all that comes along with the job. I guess I’m hoping to hear something by March which will of been two years since I started this process.

"So....tell us.....did you buy the bridge they were selling you too?  Not for one second would I believe anything from the department.  Not one iota.    Good afternoon laugh though.  Cheers!"

No bridges here, I'm like 15 months, just saying there is some crazy shit going on obviously, id be curios if anyone knows of anyone who's got one processed fast lately with a new app, though they probably won't be on this forum lol.

So I sent out a few emails yesterday regarding the wait time yesterday,

This was my received response.

“Thank you for your inquiry and for visiting the Veterans Affairs Canada web site.
If you are inquiring about the wait time tool that we have on-line, these wait times are average wait times.  Some claims are expedited due to health / unmet health needs so it brings the average wait time lower.”

Don’t think redzoned files should be used the lower the wait time! Opinions ??

I sent an e-mail on the 22nd of December and 15th of January. I got a response yesterday regarding both the e-mails stating they have fwd the e-mail to the department handling my claim. My turn around time for an e-mail from December has now been fwd to the appropriate department.

Cough cough.... a month to get a response saying they have sent the e-mail to the right department. I have no expectations now, none. I'll keep you updated.

claim 1 - ripped achilles September 2018  (stage 1)
claim 2 - partially torn ACL Decemeber 2018 (stage 3)

claim 1 - ripped achilles September 2018  (stage 1)”
claim 2 - partially torn ACL Decemeber 2018 (stage 3)“

Sadly Your probly looking into 2020 till you hear anything, 16 months or so seems to be the norm for me

Yes it defenetly takes time. I have been on step 3 for 55 weeks. When I ask for updates I always get the same one size fits all type of answer. Higher volume of demands, and so on

cctchevy18 said:
sorry, but I wouldn’t call tinnitus a “ rush “ claim, wait time tool says average wait for a decision is 17 weeks, I’m at triple that now

I've had a claim in with VAC since early November 2017.  Called ombudsmans office today, & they agreed that it was excessively long and beyond normal to be still waiting for it to be finalized and completed.  Nice lady at ombudsmans office took my contact info and told me she would get back to me asap after she contacted VAC.  Within about an hour she called back and informed me that new case workers have been assigned all straight forward outstanding claims and as mine is one of those, it was currently being finished with one of these said workers and should be done within 1-3 weeks.  However, more complex claims are still outstanding and not yet worled on dating back to July 2017.

Mine is dated July 2017, I checked to see what was happening and they told me it could take up to a year, I said ok but it has been more than a year on stage 3 and file opened in July 2017. Then I got the usual higher volume of file, it takes time and they are working on may 2017 file.  Told her I feel like a Christmas turkey, constantly being stuff. Couple days later got a call and a case manager is coming this Thursday.  I wonder what kind of stuffing I will get this time. Will see

Hi,
Is anyone have any idea on the waiting time for disability benefits for mental health and the entire process what to expect. I have been diagnosed with general anxiety disorders in 2017 due to military events that I have gone through. It is still to this day strongly impacting my life and my family, including my young children.  I have submitted all document and now on step 1. This is my first time dealing with VAC. Did anyone dealt with them with related issues?
Still serving in the forces

Thank you

Hey. As of today I’ve been waiting 72 weeks from when they received all my documents etc.  So I suggest you get ready for the long haul.

72 weeks !!! My god defenetly something wrong with them. When I was released it took 2 weeks for manulife to bring my pension up to 75% as they are suppose to. VAC suppose to bring it up to 95% and nothing yet and it has been well over 2 months. Don't manulife and VAC have the same client on earning lost ??
No wonder they take a life time to solve disability benefits claim.

Tech1963 said:
72 weeks !!! My god defenetly something wrong with them. When I was released it took 2 weeks for manulife to bring my pension up to 75% as they are suppose to. VAC suppose to bring it up to 95% and nothing yet and it has been well over 2 months. Don't manulife and VAC have the same client on earning lost ??
No wonder they take a life time to solve disability benefits claim.

It will be 90% not 95%. Did you apply for the earnings loss benefit through VAC?

Yeah 90% sorry for the typo
Yes I applied through VAC it was done simultaneously with the rehabilitation program

Back