• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

There is also the restarting of the 16-week clock. If documents are missing or further required to complete your claim, such as a medical opinion, clock stops, restarts once doc received.

BinRat55 said:
In speaking with VAC earlier this afternoon, I received some clarification (clearer to ME at least...) - It's not 16 weeks from the time they receive your application nor is it 16 weeks from the time you enter in step 2. Only when you reach step 3 does the 16 weeks start ticking. And even then, it's much like soccer penalty time - they can run over as long as they have to based on the time wasted previously debating.

Step 1 and 2 - limitless (10 - 24 weeks is the "norm")
Step 3 - 16 weeks (maybe, depending, perchance, perhaps...)

This is what it says on MY VAC regarding my claim:
All your supporting documentation was received on April 27, 2015. You should expect a decision letter within 16 weeks of this date.
16 weeks from April 27 was yesterday and I just entered step 3.

Noted that it says SHOULD EXPECT not WILL RECEIVE.  Covers them well.

Tcm621 said:
This is what it says on MY VAC regarding my claim:16 weeks from April 27 was yesterday and I just entered step 3.

So if I were a bettin man and could do math (putting two and 2 together  ::) ) you would come out at 32 weeks - 16 weeks from step 3... plus your 16 weeks from Apr 27.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting major conflicting information from everywhere? Depending on who you speak to at VAC it could 16 weeks, 24ish weeks, a year and a bit...

BinRat55 said:
So if I were a bettin man and could do math (putting two and 2 together  ::) ) you would come out at 32 weeks - 16 weeks from step 3... plus your 16 weeks from Apr 27.

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting major conflicting information from everywhere? Depending on who you speak to at VAC it could 16 weeks, 24ish weeks, a year and a bit...
Not just you. Confuse and conquer.

Just dropping by to show you my timeline:
8 Jan 2015 = Claim handed in to VAC office
8 May 2015 = They finally started looking into it.
19 Aug 2015 = Decision letter was in my mailbox.

Here was my reply from VAC. It spells out pretty clearly that it is 16 weeks from date of recieving all documents.

The service standard for processing new claims is sixteen
(16) weeks as of April 27, 2015[This is the date I had all my docs in] Standard processing
time has been exceeded in your case, a message will be sent to
our Head Office to this effect. A

wings1 said:
I am at 40 weeks right now and not expecting to hear anything until the end of sept which brings me to 52 weeks . 16 weeks to 24 weeks is a joke

My last claim took 13 months. If the nurse can't handle it and has to hand off the decision to an actual doctor a year is what I would expect.

sitting at 52 weeks this week . and being told it could be until mid October . Beyond frustrated with this entire process 

Wow... 13 months. 52 weeks... Has there been anyone on the OTHER side of this turmoil? Anyone been relatively quick... and by relative I mean 24 weeks or less?

ayo23 said:
Just dropping by to show you my timeline:
8 Jan 2015 = Claim handed in to VAC office
8 May 2015 = They finally started looking into it.
19 Aug 2015 = Decision letter was in my mailbox.

Good or bad result?

Fair enough.

Let me try the question again - I have read many many many posts on people waiting stupidly long times, such as a year or more. Has there been anyone on the OTHER side of this? Has anyone managed to come away from VAC with a bonafide answer (good or bad) within 6 months or less?

Just curious...

Yes, 3 issues with the same condition. Submitted late November last. Adjudicated and approved in May this year. Given the complexity of the issues and my difficulty in obtaining civilian medical support, I find this refreshing. Dealing with the system is difficult tho' as the call center seems loathe to get you through to the local office. However, once  contact is made the process appears to motor effectively.

ueo said:
Submitted late November last. Adjudicated and approved in May this year.

So, 24 weeks-ish... and given a Christmas / New Year's break in the middle I'd say you managed well.

Good for you. And best of luck with your issues.

Towards_the_gap said:
Applied 10 April for a MH claim....Was told 16 weeks from 17 April for a decision - last friday in other words...Monday send a secure message asking for an update, find that my profile has been updated saying that the application is at Step 3, and that as it is over 16 weeks I should expect a decision letter shortly. Get a secure message telling me it's at head office for another month when they expect to give me an answer....

Ombudsman contacted today, will let you know how it pans out.

Nice little surprise today, and on my birthday no less. Get home to see a voicemail asking me to call someone at VAC. Call em up, get told a favourable decision has been reached (today in fact) and what I would be expecting and how to go about accessing it, plus the $500 for financial advice. And here's the shocker...... after all that, the poor girl on the other end of the phone asked 'how are you doing anyways???'. I actually burst out laughing and said 'you're the first person at VAC to ever ask that, thank you!'.

Kudos to her though, she sounded petrified throughout the whole conversation, I imagine some of her calls are to persons a lot more pissed off and far less affable than I!

So less than 2 weeks after dropping a line to the Ombudsmans office and I get a result 2 weeks earlier than VAC said they would get back to me. Kudos to the Ombudsman and to those waiting, make your case known to them! They can't help that what they don't know about.

Priceless!!

I'm happy that you are finally at a milestone and hoping you conquer MH - don't let it conquer you. Happy birthday BTW - mine was 2 days ago... went on to my VAC account hoping for a little birthday news... Lol! No such luck!

I love that you never sunk that poor VAC girl. Some people are just genuinely nice and good. We need more of them.

I can't remember when I applied, but I received the letter saying my decision was pending in late May (I believe they had received all my info as of 16 May) and just received the decision (5%) in the mail today.

I also went and got Veteran's plates today...  ;D

Back