• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC Minister hangs AFG ramp ceremony painting in Hill office

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
20120424-cplgreen-painting.jpg

Minister of Veterans Affairs Steven Blaney and Corporal Joel Green pose in front of the Corporal's painting entitled Slow March; the painting was selected to be featured in the Minister's Parliament Hill office.
Minister Steven Blaney Chooses Powerful Portrait Depicting Afghanistan Ramp Ceremony
The Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs, today announced he has selected a heart-wrenching painting by Corporal Joel Green to hang in his office on Parliament Hill. The Minister invited Cpl. Green to witness the installation this morning of the artist’s powerful ramp ceremony portrait.

Entitled Slow March, the painting features four members of the Canadian Armed Forces carrying the casket of a fallen signal operator from Cpl. Green’s unit, during a ramp ceremony in Afghanistan in 2007.

“Corporal Joel Green’s portrait is a remarkable painting that captures, in the faces of just four soldiers, all the emotions we feel as Canadians when we watch one of our fallen heroes brought back home,” said Minister Blaney. “This painting conveys the ultimate sacrifice of our men and women in ways that mere words could never express.”

“It is a great personal honour to have the Minister of Veterans Affairs choose one of my works, knowing that every time someone visits the Minister’s office, they will be reminded of the terrible price we’ve paid to defend our shared way of life,” Cpl. Green said. “But the most important thing is that this is a tribute to all the men and women who have ever chosen to serve our country.”

Cpl. Green said he was inspired to paint the ramp ceremony after experiencing a “deep emotional response” to the look on the face of his good friend Private Daryl Janssen, who helped to carry Cpl. Matthew McCully’s casket. Cpl. McCully was killed when he stepped on an improvised explosive device in May 2007.

“I mainly painted this for our common friends, for Cpl. McCully’s friends and their ability to soldier on and hold it together despite their inner turmoil,” Cpl Green said. “It really struck a chord with me and I was very proud of them.”

Just what I have been waiting for. In some VAC offices, all you see for art is WW II era art....

I do appreciate what our forefathers did in Europe and Korea, but the message sent is powerful. In essence, it says VAC is comfortable only with "traditional" veterans and are unwilling/unable to deal with the "Modern" vet.

Good move on VAC's part.

Thank you!

Yes, I agree.  Shame it could not be displayed where all on the Hill would have a reminder of whom ultimately pays for some of their actions.

Well said Jim. All we can do is watch and wait.

Take Care,
Regards,
TN

jollyjacktar said:
Yes, I agree.  Shame it could not be displayed where all on the Hill would have a reminder of whom ultimately pays for some of their actions.

It's a start, maybe we'll now see more displayed in other VAC offices as the precedent has been set. besides the good Cpl appears to be a very talented artist and I'm sure will have other similar works available. I'd be hounoured to have aprint of that painitn displayed prominently in my Legion Branch.

Can we have another one with a pile of smouldering enemy dead and a smiling infantry guy sitting on top giving the thumbs up?  ;D

Back