• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vac claim. Questions

It can take two weeks sometimes (and more), for a decision to be finalized at VAC, go to be paid out, and finally get into the hands of the client. We were just informed of the decision letters on My VAC Account last week.

It's a slow step in the right direction.

My VAC Account has the potential to be a great tool. But the funding for it is making progress difficult.

I went to the VAC satellite office here on base today. They were able to actually print out the decision letter and the payment authorization as well. I signed it and they faxed it then and there. I was told I would see a payment in 3-4 business days.

It took a looooong time, but I am happy with the result. Couldn't have come at a better time too - Friday is my last pay before the dreaded pension / severance wait!

BinRat, you are smart! I never even thought to go to the VAC office and do that!

It was a fluke actually - I figured if the guy on the phone could see it then so could the office here. I was only going to convince them to let me SEE the decision on their computer, but the guy said he could do one better... and voila!

Awesome, good for you. It's scary reading you waited over 50 weeks at this point. But I'm glad its finally coming to a positive outcome. Gives me worries about my current process.

gryphonv said:
Awesome, good for you. It's scary reading you waited over 50 weeks at this point. But I'm glad its finally coming to a positive outcome. Gives me worries about my current process.

The nice lady at the Ombudsman's office who spoke to me told me that my case was really REALLY unreasonably delayed. I will admit, it was complicated, but we all deal with complicated on a daily basis. Shouldn't be an excuse given what it is. As I said, very apologetic. She said in her 2 years in that office handling hundreds of cases, mine was the longest she's seen. My luck, right?

But it did work out - quite favorable to my benefit and I know there were a lot of people in my corner. Try not to worry about your situation too much - I learned that the hard way!

blackberet17 said:
Contact the Honourable Minister Hehr. You've already started working your way up the CoC, he's pretty much next in line.

What is he going to do?
Nothing, all he will do (His assistant/Secretary) will do is a typed up letter (Mass stack awaiting signature) and mail it back to you stating someone will contact you (4-6 weeks later). This was for a Claim pushing 8 months awaiting answer.

I emailed/fb messaged Mr O'Toole, I had a phone from him within 24 hours and then a solution with 48-72 from his Inquiry Resolution Officer. That is how it should be done. This claim was 5 Months.

BinRat55 said:
It was a fluke actually - I figured if the guy on the phone could see it then so could the office here. I was only going to convince them to let me SEE the decision on their computer, but the guy said he could do one better... and voila!

The team members in the office are of much more assistance then the call centres. Its more personal seeing the person for them, and are wanting/willing to do more.

In the event your waiting too long, ask for it to go to an Inquiry Resolution Officer, in addition to speaking to a Case Manager who is allowed to read you the letter, Call centre teams can not.

If my claim has been in since April and still on Step One and not sent to Charlottetown what should I do? I'm not in a huge rush however my PCat just went up the chain and I'd like to have it before I'm released. I feel like 6 months is a bit long.
Any helps would be great, cheers.

Hockey22 said:
If my claim has been in since April and still on Step One and not sent to Charlottetown what should I do? I'm not in a huge rush however my PCat just went up the chain and I'd like to have it before I'm released. I feel like 6 months is a bit long.
Any helps would be great, cheers.

Call them?

We'll that show a bit of an insult on my intelligence..

I've already called about 6 times. They keep saying they are re ordering my medical files. That's been my ongoing answer for about 3 months even from the VAC office on base.

You can't say it's an insult on your intelligence; you didn't mention it, and we can't read minds.

Try requesting your own copy of your medical file through a Privacy Act request.  They only have 30 days to respond to that, and if you tell them it's in support of a VAC claim, they're less likely to ask for an extension.  I got a copy of mine in a couple of weeks, and I've been out five years.

Back