• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

USA brings back death penalty for fed cases

>we have allowed the killing of a bunch of innocent victims

But "we" haven't "allowed" anything.  Murderers are responsible for their own acts.  What about all the other things we might do that deter murderers?  Are "we" then "allowing" killings by failing to do all those other things?  Ridiculous.

Laws work best with "bright lines".  Not executing anyone is a "bright line".  Start quibbling, and eventually a quibble results in an innocent death.

I think the question as to whether or not a country should have a death penalty is one for the public at large through their elected representatives.

Under the US Federal System there are dozens (if not hundreds) of laws on the books that allow for the imposition of the death penalty. Under those laws, several death penalties have been imposed.

The real question is what allows the Department of Justice to choose not to implement those punishment after all reasonable appeals have been exhausted?

This is one circumstance where I agree with Barr. The laws are on the books, the sentence has been issued and appeals are gone, the department should get on with things in their regular course.

:cheers:

Looks like three people have been executed by the federal government of the United States since 1963. 

FJAG said:
I think the question as to whether or not a country should have a death penalty is one for the public at large through their elected representatives.

A cursory search on support for capital punishment in the US tells us that it's a hot topic, with only a slight majority supporting it. In Canada depending on the province, you'll find Canadians in some cases actually support it in greater numbers than the entire US does, do you suggest we should bring it back as well?

cld617 said:
In Canada depending on the province, you'll find Canadians in some cases actually support it in greater numbers than the entire US does, do you suggest we should bring it back as well?

For historical reference to the last post.

The last execution in Canada was in 1962, when they hanged Lucas and Turpin back to back at the Don.

mariomike said:
For historical reference to the last post.

The last execution in Canada was in 1962, when they hanged Lucas and Turpin back to back at the Don.

Since you raise historical reference to the death penalty in Canada, the case of Steven Truscott should be mentioned.  While his sentence was commuted to life in prison prior to the executions of Lucas and Turpin, the national attention focused on the application (and perhaps haphazard application) of a death sentence on a 14 year old child had much to do with the later suspension of the death penalty in Canada.

I suppose, if the internet had existed back then, that case would have been a lively topic of discussion on this forum due to the military nexus of both victim and alleged perpetrator(s).

cld617 said:
A cursory search on support for capital punishment in the US tells us that it's a hot topic, with only a slight majority supporting it. In Canada depending on the province, you'll find Canadians in some cases actually support it in greater numbers than the entire US does, do you suggest we should bring it back as well?

I am not against capital punishment and in fact favour it's use in certain circumstances, but in Canada's case we've made the decision some time ago not to use it. I wouldn't advocate for it's return. I can live with the status quo.

FJAG said:
I am not against capital punishment and in fact favour it's use in certain circumstances, but in Canada's case we've made the decision some time ago not to use it. I wouldn't advocate for it's return. I can live with the status quo.

I’ll agree and add that the Dangerous Offender clause needs to be pursued vigorously in certain cases. Like Willie Picton, Bernardo etc

Back