• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unprovoked Toronto Subway Murder Suspect Was “out on numerous releases"-Article 27/03/2023

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
I remember trying to explain to folks in the "convoy" thread how ' real criminals' get released over and over and over again, yet a lot of those folks got no bail. Here is an example of that with tragic consequences for an innocent 16 year old boy.

Law enforcement sources say the homeless man accused in the random murder of a Toronto teen on the TTC was “out on numerous releases.”
“This,” a detective close to the investigation told The Toronto Sun, “is a full-on justice system failure.”

According to cops, around 9 p.m. Saturday at Keele TTC station, Gabriel Magalhaes, 16, was sitting on a bench in the west-end station when he was stabbed in an “unprovoked” attack.
The teenager was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries and later died there. Dead at 16.
The suspect — identified as Jordan O’Brien-Tobin, 22, of no fixed address — faces a charge of first-degree murder.

MORE AT LINK

Vanessa Kurpiewska was stabbed to death with an ice pick

I thought ice picks went out with the Murder Inc. era, and electric refrigerators became popular.

Not to suggest an ice pick was not the weapon.

Just that you don't see them around much anymore. Maybe bartenders still use them.

Amazing how quickly we went from "the Police are all racist thugs, the people they deal with are all victims and you can't believe a word out of their (police) mouths" to "huh, maybe they weren't the problem all along".

"A full-on failure of the justice system".

Absolutely. There has been a lot of recent press on reforming the bail system - which is good and needed, but it's only a slice of the pie. It is unfair to lock up people, who we have to remember are not yet convicted in their most recent escapade, for years until trial. One newspaper article I recall said the over half the population of provincial correctional facilities in Canada were awaiting trial; although that is trending downward (which some view as a good thing - victims of subsequent crime notwithstanding it seems). I couldn't find credible data on the average pre-trial visit. The entire justice system is creeping along on flat tires; not enough money, not enough players, and too much procedure.

Part and parcel of the justice system is the mental health system. It is highly unpopular to say, but there are too many people out in civil society who have absolutely no business being there. Sure, it may not be their fault, but it's not the victims' fault either. Community supports need to be strengthened, but that will only reach so many. There needs to be a tough, honest discussion about re-institutionalization the worst-of-the-worst, sickest-of-the-sickest, or however they want to frame it.

"A full-on failure of the justice system".

Absolutely. There has been a lot of recent press on reforming the bail system - which is good and needed, but it's only a slice of the pie. It is unfair to lock up people, who we have to remember are not yet convicted in their most recent escapade, for years until trial. One newspaper article I recall said the over half the population of provincial correctional facilities in Canada were awaiting trial; although that is trending downward (which some view as a good thing - victims of subsequent crime notwithstanding it seems). I couldn't find credible data on the average pre-trial visit. The entire justice system is creeping along on flat tires; not enough money, not enough players, and too much procedure.

Part and parcel of the justice system is the mental health system. It is highly unpopular to say, but there are too many people out in civil society who have absolutely no business being there. Sure, it may not be their fault, but it's not the victims' fault either. Community supports need to be strengthened, but that will only reach so many. There needs to be a tough, honest discussion about re-institutionalization the worst-of-the-worst, sickest-of-the-sickest, or however they want to frame it.

All of this.

Court and prosecutorial capacity need to be increased to cut down on these backlogs. I’ve charged people in serious but very simple to investigate and prove crimes of violence, and had it take well over a year to resolve in court. Most files aren’t very complex; they’re just stuck waiting in line.

The mental health system is also woefully inadequate, both in terms of resources allocated, and willingness to use legal authorities to compel assessment and treatment.

All of this.

Court and prosecutorial capacity need to be increased to cut down on these backlogs. I’ve charged people in serious but very simple to investigate and prove crimes of violence, and had it take well over a year to resolve in court. Most files aren’t very complex; they’re just stuck waiting in line.

The mental health system is also woefully inadequate, both in terms of resources allocated, and willingness to use legal authorities to compel assessment and treatment.
I’m sure that budgets need to be increased in that area, but from your perspective could you see any specific improvements to the mental health system?

Law enforcement sources say the homeless man accused in the random murder of a Toronto teen on the TTC was “out on numerous releases.”

Very disturbing.

By passenger volume, TTC is North America's third largest transit system, after only New York and Mexico cities.

In the three-and-a-half decades I was sent to TTC emergencies, there were a total of three homicides. None of which I attended.

One each at St. Patrick, Victoria Park and Dundas stations.

As far as the criminal justice system is concerned, about all I know was from watching "American Justice", and on here.

Some passenger disputes may be settled "out of court". Not to suggest that should happen in Canada.

Very disturbing.

By passenger volume, TTC is North America's third largest transit system, after only New York and Mexico cities.

In the three-and-a-half decades I responded to TTC emergencies, there were a total of three homicides. None of which I attended.

As far as the criminal justice system is concerned, about all I know was from watching "American Justice", and on here.

Some passenger disputes are settled "out of court". Not to suggest that should happen in Canada.

The decline of the TTC or at least the decline of safety is quite pronounced, Peronally I’ve witnessed a subway suicide right in front of my eyes, a group of homeless people attacking another homeless man (just as the police arrived in time) and countless other fights or near fights. My sister-in-law recently was riding either the Queen or King streetcar only to see a woman get up from her seat to get off, only to see that the woman was wearing virtually nothing below her short blouse. Whether it’s drug addiction, people with serious mental problems or something else entirely, most Torontonians are rightfully worried about riding the so-called Better Way.

But it’s Toronto itself that’s changing. The first time I noticed the change—and not for the better—was in the late ‘70s. If I remember correctly a young shoeshine boy was lured into an apartment above a body rub parlour on Yonge Street and strangled by a gang of sexual deviates who were eventually apprehended, tried and convicted. After that, it seems, innocence was lost and Toronto The Good was no longer the same place it had been. Perhaps the fault is due to our permissive society…I wish I knew the answer, and I’m sure it’s a multifaceted problem. But the problems facing the TTC are but a reflection of what is happening around the once-great city of Toronto, a place I seldom visit anymore even though I live less than two hours from it.

And the realization, that for some, there is no treatment....
You are correct - some cannot be corrected to the point they should mingle with us in society. While we have the wit to realize this, there are many in ivory towers who do not and in fact are "experts" that dictate how we police and operate custodial facilities - and I daresay not many of them have ridden in a patrol car or walked a range at lockup.

But it’s Toronto itself that’s changing. The first time I noticed the change—and not for the better—was in the late ‘70s. If I remember correctly a young shoeshine boy was lured into an apartment above a body rub parlour on Yonge Street and strangled by a gang of sexual deviates who were eventually apprehended, tried and convicted. After that, it seems, innocence was lost and Toronto The Good was no longer the same place it had been. Perhaps the fault is due to our permissive society…I wish I knew the answer, and I’m sure it’s a multifaceted problem. But the problems facing the TTC are but a reflection of what is happening around the once-great city of Toronto, a place I seldom visit anymore even though I live less than two hours from it.
JLB, play more than just Toronto, and it came from many levels of government, including provincial support in defunding health facilities, and casting a whole bunch of people out onto the street into homelessness, who would’ve otherwise being cared for real time in an institution with their mental health issues. Now, the issue is quite evident on the streets and will only get worse as the failure to provide appropriate mental health care for the citizens continues.

When they ran the hippies and draft dodgers out of Yorkville, and Rochdale, they brought their vices with them to Yonge St.. You could buy anything on the Strip. Massage parlours all up and down it. Cars orbiting at all hours, going nowhere. This was before MADD and RIDE.

The shoeshine boy murder at Charlie's Angels ended that. The details were too horrific for here. There was a moral panic across Metro. 15,000 very angry people marched on Queen's Park demanding action. It was not a candlelight vigil. It was a true protest, the likes of which this city not seen in many years. Perhaps ever? Mayor David " tiny perfect" Crombie called the Strip a "yawning cesspool". Because of the nature of the crime, they came down especially hard on the gay bars.
It only took a few weeks to clean up the strip. It was a dramatic improvement. The Eaton Centre "revitalised" it.
The Airport Strip was much nicer. Diamond Lil's had wonderful live entertainment. Up on the top floor, the glass all around. You could see the bright lights of the airport and the city! Dancing every night.

Our area was Dry, but there were lots of places around town. The Brown Derby. It had huge reproductions of Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin and Toulouse-Lautrec and some others. They all wore derbys. It was a very nice place. The manager's name was Sammy. He was a retired boxer. I didn't find that out until I met him again many years later.
There was also the Silver Rail ( it was beautiful ), the Westbury, the Edison, Steele's Tavern, the Zanzibar, the Ford Hotel. the Colonial, Le Coq d'Or, Starvin' Marvin's.

At any rate, soon there will be a new mayor in town. Maybe s/he, or someone on here, will have the answers.

Very disturbing.

In the three-and-a-half decades I was sent to TTC emergencies, there were a total of three homicides. None of which I attended.

Some passenger disputes may be settled "out of court". Not to suggest that should happen in Canada.

Filmed in Toronto perhaps? As Bronson exits the train the advert above him says, "The First Canadian."

When they ran the hippies and draft dodgers out of Yorkville, and Rochdale, they brought their vices with them to Yonge St.. You could buy anything on the Strip. Massage parlours all up and down it. Cars orbiting at all hours, going nowhere. This was before MADD and RIDE.

The shoeshine boy murder at Charlie's Angels ended that. The details were too horrific for here. There was a moral panic across Metro. 15,000 very angry people marched on Queen's Park demanding action. It was not a candlelight vigil. It was a true protest, the likes of which this city not seen in many years. Perhaps ever? Mayor David " tiny perfect" Crombie called the Strip a "yawning cesspool". Because of the nature of the crime, they came down especially hard on the gay bars.
It only took a few weeks to clean up the strip. It was a dramatic improvement. The Eaton Centre "revitalised" it.
The Airport Strip was much nicer. Diamond Lil's had wonderful live entertainment. Up on the top floor, the glass all around. You could see the bright lights of the airport and the city! Dancing every night.

Our area was Dry, but there were lots of places around town. The Brown Derby. It had huge reproductions of Laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin and Toulouse-Lautrec and some others. They all wore derbys. It was a very nice place. The manager's name was Sammy. He was a retired boxer. I didn't find that out until I met him again many years later.
There was also the Silver Rail ( it was beautiful ), the Westbury, the Edison, Steele's Tavern, the Zanzibar, the Ford Hotel. the Colonial, Le Coq d'Or, Starvin' Marvin's.

At any rate, soon there will be a new mayor in town. Maybe s/he, or someone on here, will have the answers.

…I know we drift a bit in threads sometimes…
1680042070866.gif

JLB, play more than just Toronto, and it came from many levels of government, including provincial support in defunding health facilities, and casting a whole bunch of people out onto the street into homelessness, who would’ve otherwise being cared for real time in an institution with their mental health issues. Now, the issue is quite evident on the streets and will only get worse as the failure to provide appropriate mental health care for the citizens continues.

Not just Toronto; came to Kingston in 2004 and the changes since then are pretty evident. Homeless people with obvious mental health/drug problems wandering the streets. Plus crime is up big time. Last Friday there was there was a drive-by shooting right across the street from Collins Bay Institution. Inmate (not sure on day release or parole) crossing the street and car pulls up, couple guys get out and start blazing away. Down he goes with multiple wounds. Still looking for suspects.

The decline of the TTC or at least the decline of safety is quite pronounced, Peronally I’ve witnessed a subway suicide right in front of my eyes, a group of homeless people attacking another homeless man (just as the police arrived in time) and countless other fights or near fights. My sister-in-law recently was riding either the Queen or King streetcar only to see a woman get up from her seat to get off, only to see that the woman was wearing virtually nothing below her short blouse. Whether it’s drug addiction, people with serious mental problems or something else entirely, most Torontonians are rightfully worried about riding the so-called Better Way.

I'm not sure the Emanuel Jaques murder (the 'shoeshine boy') was the end of the line for Toronto-the-good but it certainly was a station stop. As a kid growing up in the '60s, I had no concern riding the subway; I used to do it end-to-end just because I thought it was cool, or wandering the streets at all hours. Most people, including most kids, were more deferential to others, kids were respectful (afraid?) of other parents and in many cases, 'a village did raise a child'. I have no recollection of street drugs, homelessness or at-large mental illness; although no doubt they existed in certain pockets.

Police, actually walking a beat ('post' as TPS called them) would 'move people along' if they were panhandling or bothering pedestrians. Then it became that they can't do that. Toronto police used to be famous for using the 'Ways and Means Act', including offences such as Gross Mopery or the more serious crime of Gross Mopery with Intent to Gawk as a means to pick people up and perhaps take them to High Park (sorry Mike), Sunnydale Park or the industrial waterfront, just to get them off the streets for a while. Totally illegal of course, even then, but it was problem solving. Now it is FIDO (f*** it-drive on); if it's not a logged radio call, it doesn't happen.

I don't know what the answer is either. Perhaps it's just an inevitable result of higher population and density. I'm a fan of the old 'broken windows' approach that NYPD took; jump on the small stuff because that's how rot sets in a community; but it would grind our justice system to a complete halt.

Not just Toronto; came to Kingston in 2004 and the changes since then are pretty evident. Homeless people with obvious mental health/drug problems wandering the streets. Plus crime is up big time. Last Friday there was there was a drive-by shooting right across the street from Collins Bay Institution. Inmate (not sure on day release or parole) crossing the street and car pulls up, couple guys get out and start blazing away. Down he goes with multiple wounds. Still looking for suspects.
Settling a debt, no doubt. I always liked the Kingston area, but it has more shitrats-per-square kilometer that most other places its size. Either the missus moving close to hubby for visitation, buddy getting released and hanging around the area or, likely these guys, competitors camping out waiting for their moment.

Closing the old Rockwood Asylum down on King Street certainly didn’t help things in K-Town, that’s for sure.

Back