• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University vs College, and degree specialization

Third

Inactive
Reaction score
Is a college education given any special consideration by the military?  Everything regarding education talks about university degrees and I haven't noticed any mention of college (Other than RMC which is a university).  Is a diploma from college just viewed as a slightly extended highschool one?

Do NCMs get any benefits for holding a degree?  Does what your degree is in have an impact on your trade?

About me, for the curious:
I'm just finishing year 2 in a 3 year computer science co-op diploma course at Sheridan College with an option to fast track into a 4 year degree program at Ryerson (I think entering second semester, 3rd year) and I have hopes of being an infantryman.  Maybe one day if I feel I'd be good for it I'd try to become an officer (of course it's up to them) but I'm definitely not interested in a DEO program.  I'm not sure if this particular degree is something worth getting seeing as it's far removed from what I'd like to be, and would hold me up for another two years.

Whoops, meant to go in the recruiting sub-forum.

I'm currently in my third year of Business Admin - Accounting at conestoga college, with a similar option like you have to transfer my credits for advanced standing and earn my Commerce degree in my fourth and final year of study. I've applied for 1. pilot, 2. Nav, 3. logistics.

From my understanding, if you're applying as an NCM you're college credentials should be good enough, with good marks it will make you an even more attractive candidate. However, if you're applying as an officer then you need to obtain a university degree......doesn't matter what field really they just want you to have one. Take me.... business is completely different than aviation, but its more about the acreditation than the relevance of the degree itself....then again having a relevant degree will only make your file more compelling.

You've got to decide how you want to apply. If it was me... since you already have 3 years of college down, I would apply for ROTP (which is what im doing) and get them to cover the costs associated with you're 4th year for the degree program. That way you earn a university degree on their ticket, and when you're finished, enter the CF with the benefits of being an officer.

Hope that helps.

Back