• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unit Organization in Afhganistan

Bruce Monkhouse said:
..and if you think we will make apologies for that than you are sorely mistaken.

I don't blame you for being cautious.  I was just meaning lets be realistic about what is OPSEC.  When the Canadian Army doctrine manuals are published on an open site, saying its OPSEC how a platoon is organized is useless. 

deh said:
All of this is open source.  Are there small changes in the ghan?  Of course.  Have we completly shifted the way we organise and deploy our forces? Not really.  Everything is structured to be adaptable.  So when you need two veh's to carry one section (ie RG-31) of course the number of crews doubles and the orbat changes a little. 

Thanks for all that stuff. Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I thought the thread was dead. Lucky I check again.:) I have a few more questions about your post:
- how many LAVs in the HQ section of a platoon?
- the crew is 2 men each for the 60mm and the C6? How many for the Carl Gustav?
- at the company level, what the the company HQ section consist of, and what weapons are availible from it to be detached? I guess I'm just looking for a by-the-book setup, since I'm sure it varies a lot.

I just finished the book "Contact Charlie", and it brought up some more questions for me.
- in the book Bravo Company uses G-wagons. How does the G-wagon fit into the platoon organization, ie: how many people can it carry, how many per platoon. The g-wagon is armed with a C6 as well?
- Recce platoon: how big is it, vehicles and men, and how large are the sections? In WW2 I thought they were four men, is it still four?

Thanks again! If anyone plays the Squad Battles series of games, (www.hpssims.com) then you could check out my scenarios here.

Mad_Dog said:
Thanks for all that stuff. Sorry it took me so long to reply, but I thought the thread was dead. Lucky I check again.:) I have a few more questions about your post:
- how many LAVs in the HQ section of a platoon?

There is 1 LAV in Platoon HQ

- the crew is 2 men each for the 60mm and the C6? How many for the Carl Gustav?
The Carl Gustav is a two man team.

We do have to respect OPSEC but a good point is brought up. Our doctrine orbats are fairly accessible to public. However task orbat for a specific operation or mission, I can see that being a no-no, don't blab on the internet deal. Of course we also do not discuss grids, names, routines, etc, etc.

Also keep in mind, the Taliban gain plenty of useful info just by watching our guys on day to day operations in Afghanistan.

Larkvall said:
What sort of unit organization does the Taliban employ?

I don't know if they are in formed units, as we would form them ie sect/pl etc.
You might want to read some counter insurgency books to get an idea of how an insurgency works.

Mountie said:
I don't blame you for being cautious.  I was just meaning lets be realistic about what is OPSEC.  When the Canadian Army doctrine manuals are published on an open site, saying its OPSEC how a platoon is organized is useless.

In my opinion, it is better to err on the side of caution than to have somebody skim information that could harm our people overseas. I'm pointing no fingers here, but not everyone who reads sites such as army.ca has our back in this war. On a side note, if the information is readily available elsewhere, why should we devulge such information here?

:2c:

Back