• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unhappy Incidents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey you all, I just joined the militia, gonna receive my BMQ next month. I am wondering whether any of you had any unhappy incidents involving you wearing your uniform in public. Like did any anti-war protestor scolded at you for joining the armed forces.

I wouldn't worry about that. I'm not in the military but if your wearing your uniform in public just be proud. Who cares what others think.

Hope you enjoy BMQ and have some fun and good luck I Cant wait!

Take Care.

Delta said:
Hey you all, I just joined the militia, gonna receive my BMQ next month. I am wondering whether any of you had any unhappy incidents involving you wearing your uniform in public. Like did any anti-war protestor scolded at you for joining the armed forces.

I've personally never had any problems. Canadians, for the most part, are quite supportive of their troops, there's not much to worry about in this sense. Sometimes soldiers will get the odd comment from someone who's against the military in some form or fashion, but these incidents are generally few and far between. People are quite supportive.

Cheers

I've been insulted, spat upon, and assaulted. But only in Ontario.

paracowboy said:
I've been insulted, spat upon, and assaulted. But only in Ontario.

and you you stay out west, you young wippersnapper.   We don't need you out here messin' things up...

dileas

tess

I live in Quebec (Montreal)...probably the most anti military province in Canada.

I have been bumped on the street, I have had the "stare down"...I have been laughed at, I have been pushed.  I have been asked when I was going to Iraq to kill innocent people.

But aside from all the cr@p I have been through while in uniform, one GOOD incident makes up for it.  I was on a train heading back from Meaford when some guy got up out of his seat, walked over to the other end of the train car where me and my buddy were sitting, shook my hand and said "Thank you guys for everything you have done"

Like what was said.  Be proud.  It's not some rent-a-cop uniform you got on there.  it's the uniform of your countries armed forces.

Hubby has had the same sort of incidents happent o him, but he agreed that one positive one made up for the bad. He went home to Ottawa on leave and went out for dinner with his parents while in uniform(he was still a newbie to the CF). They went to The Swallows and some guy came up and started chatting it up with my hubby about life in the CF now compared to 30 years ago. After all the chit-chat the guy said that dinner and drinks were on him that night and to enjoy themselves and he thanks my husband for joining such a reputable service, and he got up and went back to his table.

The worst I ever got as a cadet was some guy snatching my beret off my head and calling me every name under the sun. My beret was returned to me by another fellow who got it back for me. After that, I never went to cadets in uniform again. That was back in the early 90's during the gulf war.

I was called a babykiller when we worked the Clinton/Yeltsin summit in Vancouver.  I laughed so hard, I nearly peed meself!  The young UBC philosophy major stomped off in a huff, to a chorus of catcalls from the overwhelmingly civy crowd.

Personally for me when i am gonna be in the CF i am gonna wear my uniform and i am gonna be proud but if somebody pushes me it will be difficult for me not to punch him hard in the face ...but i don't have the right...but it could be considered as defence no ?

Sorry if speak with my fists and not with my head but it makes me angry knowing people that go spit or push there own soldiers...and its because of those Canadian soldiers that this pricks can sleep well at night and not worry about dying when they take the buss.....

Seriously i think i am gonna get really angry if somebody spit in my face in the middle of the street.....

:cdn:

If you react and beat him down, no matter how badly he deserves it, you are proving their point.  You are wearing the uniform, therefore you represent Canada, you are not an individual.  What I find works really well is to blow them a big kiss and walk away...drives them nuts when you won't take the bait.

Wolfe said:
Personally for me when i am gonna be in the CF i am gonna wear my uniform and i am gonna be proud but if somebody pushes me it will be difficult for me not to punch him hard in the face ...but i don't have the right...but it could be considered as defence no ?

Sorry if speak with my fists and not with my head but it makes me angry knowing people that go spit or push there own soldiers...and its because of those Canadian soldiers that this pricks can sleep well at night and not worry about dying when they take the buss.....

Seriously i think i am gonna get really angry if somebody spit in my face in the middle of the street.....

This is a scary attitude. I hope you don't seriously intend to beat up every person who disrespects the CF? The CF doesn't need people who think like that IMHO. Maybe you should reconsider your career choice.

This is the exact attitude that should not be allowed in the forces. Beating up civilians that make you angry is an offense under the criminal code of Canada and under the military Code of Discipline.

If you don't have better control of your emotions, you're going to be a crappy soldier.

And no, punching someone who pushes you isn't self defense if you can walk away. Use of force is only a last resort.

NavComm said:
This is a scary attitude. I hope you don't seriously intend to beat up every person who disrespects the CF? The CF doesn't need people who think like that IMHO. Maybe you should reconsider your career choice.

This is the exact attitude that should not be allowed in the forces. Beating up civilians that make you angry is an offense under the criminal code of Canada and under the military Code of Discipline.
I think the attitude expressed in his post is exactly what we need in the CF.

but if somebody pushes me it will be difficult for me not to punch him hard in the face ...but i don't have the right

Wolfe said:
Sorry if speak with my fists and not with my head

I am not much of a trouble maker, and no this is how i will feel, angry but i am never gonna beat up the civilian that insulted me even if i wanted to, i am gonna take it inside of me and deal with it.

On my way home from Petawawa a couple of weeks ago, when the group of us arrived in downtown Toronto we had a number of good-hearted gestures from civilians passing us on Dundas St., people saluting us on our way to the subway station, people smiling and nodding their heads at us. In the subway station on Dundas while waiting for the TTC, a young black male came up to us and asked us if he decided to join the army, would he be able to keep his afro throughout his training and his period of service. That one made my day.

Cheers

infamous_p said:
On my way home from Petawawa a couple of weeks ago, when the group of us arrived in downtown Toronto we had a number of good-hearted gestures from civilians passing us on Dundas St., people saluting us on our way to the subway station, people smiling and nodding their heads at us. In the subway station on Dundas while waiting for the TTC, a young black male came up to us and asked us if he decided to join the army, would he be able to keep his afro throughout his training and his period of service. That one made my day.

Cheers

Hey if he's a Rastafarian and the hair is religious....

The CF has my religion on record as "Jedi", and seing all the Veils and Turbans this summer I'm tempted to grow me a nice big Jedi braid.

48Highlander said:
Hey if he's a Rastafarian and the hair is religious....

The CF has my religion on record as "Jedi", and seing all the Veils and Turbans this summer I'm tempted to grow me a nice big Jedi braid.

Haha, well if he gathers a few thousand people and starts a new religion where afro's with combs and pencils sticking out of them is standard, all the power to him...

I nearly hit the floor laughing when I read that...  ;D

NavComm said:

If you don't have better control of your emotions, you're going to be a crappy soldier.

And no, punching someone who pushes you isn't self defense if you can walk away. Use of force is only a last resort.

A good scrap once and a while is good for the soul.

someone w/ NavComm's attitude should definitely join the CF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back