• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

YZT580

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Not a really earth-shattering observation but it has struck me that the greatest difference between photos from the Ukraine side and those from Russia is that many of the Ukraines exhibit an air of quiet confidence and a display of humour (even gallows humour) regardless of the adversity whilst the Russians are glum and angry.

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
Not a really earth-shattering observation but it has struck me that the greatest difference between photos from the Ukraine side and those from Russia is that many of the Ukraines exhibit an air of quiet confidence and a display of humour (even gallows humour) regardless of the adversity whilst the Russians are glum and angry.
Have you seen the "we're lucky they're so fucking stupid" clip from early on in the war?

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
They went into the war missing Winter kit -- Russian troops without winter kit...
I guess someone sold it for profit.

I don't think this winter will be better for them.

Maxman1

Reaction score
I can see that. In their last war against Germany, did they not send soldiers into battle with no rifle and boots, with instructions to pick up rifles and boots from their dead comrades in front of them?

No, they did not. That was invented for Enemy At the Gates, with the closest similarity being Imperial troops in the First World War suffering arms shortages. Just one of many things that film made up or otherwise got wrong.

Soviet troops were short of ammo early into the war and could be sent into combat with as little as one round, but they were still issued a rifle.

Czech_pivo

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
They went into the war missing Winter kit -- Russian troops without winter kit...
I guess someone sold it for profit.

I don't think this winter will be better for them.
I'd say, 'let's hope for a cold winter' but that works against Western Europe and their need for heating supplies.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd say, 'let's hope for a cold winter' but that works against Western Europe and their need for heating supplies.
They have more than enough energy from the German nuclear reactors when combined with the stuff being brought in from outside of Europe.

suffolkowner

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
They have more than enough energy from the German nuclear reactors when combined with the stuff being brought in from outside of Europe.
I think they need the NG for heat and industrial uses. The one BASF plant has something like 100,000 employees and uses as much NG as all of Denmark. The electricity market is a separate matter and acting like markets sometimes do. Still it was a mistake to shutdown some of the nuclear reactors or at least premature

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score

Jawhol Coal!

Coal Reserves in Germany​

Germany holds 39,802 million tons (MMst) of proven coal reserves as of 2016, ranking 6th in the world and accounting for about 3% of the world's total coal reserves of 1,139,471 million tons (MMst).

Germany has proven reserves equivalent to 154.6 times its annual consumption. This means it has about 155 years of Coal left (at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Jawhol Coal!

Coal Reserves in Germany​

Germany holds 39,802 million tons (MMst) of proven coal reserves as of 2016, ranking 6th in the world and accounting for about 3% of the world's total coal reserves of 1,139,471 million tons (MMst).

Germany has proven reserves equivalent to 154.6 times its annual consumption. This means it has about 155 years of Coal left (at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).

Remember that story about the Germans preferring fat, lazy staff officers because they were the most efficient? They were inclined to get things done with the least effort?

I don't think they survived the war.