• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ukraine - Superthread

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score

One more article on mounting counter-offensives.
Still an unknown factor where any counter attacks are occurring, first source said Kharkiv but there seems to be more pressing concerns in the south.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Relic
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
The anticipation is killing me!

Imagine if they can break the siege of Kharkiv, turn around, and retake Kherson? Restore the Dniepr line, that'd be amazing.

Similarly, if Europeans aren't willing to risk their economic growth to defund Russia's O&G-financed war chest, they can enjoy living next to the new Soviet Union.

Man, it's only Day 9. Have another cup of tea. ;)

TacticalTea

Reaction score
Man, it's only Day 9. Have another cup of tea. ;)
It's the 21st century, war can be pretty fast...

I'm of the opinion contingencies for such events should be prepared in advance so that all possible measures are taken on Day 1, maximizing their duration and effect.

But that's me. I know there's also the idea of slow-rolling it out, so that there's good news every day for UKR and bad news every day for RUS. But I'd rather those good and bad news come as consequences of the aforementioned measures, and not in the form of the measures themselves.

But hey, maybe that's just my MARS mind trying to stay ahead of the ship of State, which for political / diplomatic reasons may be impossible in actuality.

Pieman

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I'm looking for where it says that people need training or they are liabilities.
Lots of people are needed in support roles, I'm sure. Plus, there are untrained civilians picking up rifles. So it's more like joining a resistance force than a professional army, I suspect.

TacticalTea

Reaction score
For those looking to join up with the Ukraine International Legion, you can start here: INTERNATIONAL LEGION FOR THE TERRITORIAL DEFENSE OF UKRAINE – Just another WordPress site

I'm still semi-seriously looking into it. I have heard of other Sappers who say they are going.
Friday, toast of the day: "To a bloody war and a sickly season", and we just got out of sickly season.

Been wondering myself if I'd be a liability or an asset as someone who's only been Navy.

KevinB

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Reaction score
Friday, toast of the day: "To a bloody war and a sickly season", and we just got out of sickly season.

Been wondering myself if I'd be a liability or an asset as someone who's only been Navy.
Are you fit?
Can you see?

If my boss would keep paying me, I’d head over in a heartbeat.
Kids and Mortgage, means that isn’t a possibility unless someone raises a Private Army (hmm maybe I should get a PowerBall Ticket - Kevin’s Own Irregulars has a nice ring to it.)

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Relic
Reaction score

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”
― Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There

Russia warns pro-Ukraine foreign fighters won't get POW status, will be criminals​

Konashenkov warns that pro-Ukrainian fighters won't be considered combatants in accordance with international humanitarian law or become prisoners of war.​

Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov warned that foreign fighters in Ukraine will not be afforded the rights given to lawful combatants according to international humanitarian law (IHL) as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky welcomed what he claimed amounted to 16,000 foreign volunteers to the International Legion of Territorial Defense Forces of Ukraine on Thursday.

"I wish to make an official statement that none of the mercenaries the West is sending to Ukraine to fight for the nationalist regime in Kyiv can be considered as combatants in accordance with international humanitarian law or enjoy the status of prisoners of war," Konashenkov said on Thursday, according to Russian state media outlet TASS. "At best, they can expect to be prosecuted as criminals. We are urging all foreign citizens who may have plans to go and fight for Kyiv’s nationalist regime to think a dozen times before getting on the way."

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Are you fit?
Can you see?

Kids and Mortgage, means that isn’t a possibility unless someone raises a Private Army (hmm maybe I should get a PowerBall Ticket - Kevin’s Own Irregulars has a nice ring to it.)
This WW1 again? Have the money so you raise your own regiment?

Dana381

Reaction score
Shocked, I am not

Anyone who thinks the Russians will stop in the Ukraine is on crack...

I can't help but think just what is Putin saving his better soldiers for. all reports say these are green conscripts. Surely he has some better trained soldiers he is saving for something else.

Also he seems to be saving his best air assets and ad assets. We haven't seen him use s400 or s500 if it's ready yet.

The Ukraine invasion looks to me like the appetizer and he is saving his best for the main course. whatever it is/was it is surely bigger than/tougher than Ukraine was supposed to be.

suffolkowner

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score

Russia warns pro-Ukraine foreign fighters won't get POW status, will be criminals​

Konashenkov warns that pro-Ukrainian fighters won't be considered combatants in accordance with international humanitarian law or become prisoners of war.​

Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov warned that foreign fighters in Ukraine will not be afforded the rights given to lawful combatants according to international humanitarian law (IHL) as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky welcomed what he claimed amounted to 16,000 foreign volunteers to the International Legion of Territorial Defense Forces of Ukraine on Thursday.

"I wish to make an official statement that none of the mercenaries the West is sending to Ukraine to fight for the nationalist regime in Kyiv can be considered as combatants in accordance with international humanitarian law or enjoy the status of prisoners of war," Konashenkov said on Thursday, according to Russian state media outlet TASS. "At best, they can expect to be prosecuted as criminals. We are urging all foreign citizens who may have plans to go and fight for Kyiv’s nationalist regime to think a dozen times before getting on the way."

Sick Altair on them

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
While I applaud anyone volunteering there are a lot of risks.

Trained pers will likely be useful. Especially former SOF types I would gather. Untrained present issues. The Ukrainian ambassador in Australia already warmed Australians without training to rethink coming.

Also this article explains some of the pitfalls and why this conflict is nothing like fighting insurgents.

It will be awesome to hear about Hector the mailman from Tennesse blowing up a BMP, but those stories won’t be the norm.

And I doubt that Russia will acknowledge foreign fighters as legit and will deal with them summarily.

TacticalTea

Reaction score
This WW1 again? Have the money so you raise your own regiment?
No need to go that far back. Private regiments were a thing in Ukraine from 2014 until... I wanna say 2017-18?

At any rate, yeah, it is expected that you buy your own gear - minus gun - before flying out to Poland.

Yeah, mercenary life ain't nice, that's for sure. Same shit for anyone fighting against ISIS, or even for Russians (Wagner getting obliterated by American air support)
Are you fit?
Can you see?

Yeah, no one to leave behind and no house to care for. I did just buy a car, tho, so I'd hate to never get to drive it much haha