• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

UAV/RPA Crew Recognition and Honours

I believe that those working the RPAs are as capable of kicking ass at their jobs as anyone. I don't think we're likely to see decorations for valour handed out, but where solid work is done, commendations, MIDs, and maybe the odd meritorious service decoration would not go amiss. We've certainly seen MSMs handed out for much lesser stuff than providing effective and skilled RPA support (armed or unarmed) to friendly forces in war. I've been fortunate enough to have made a few friends in that community, and I recognize them to be an un-sung group of quiet professionals who do some serious kick-ass work.

Hopefully they will not have to wait as long for recognition and honours as Bomber Command did.  ( 9,919 Canadians were killed ).

Survivors had to wait until 2013 - 68 years after the war ended - for a clasp only. No medal.

mariomike said:
Hopefully they will not have to wait as long for recognition and honours as Bomber Command did.  ( 9,919 Canadians were killed ).

Survivors had to wait until 2013 - 68 years after the war ended - for a clasp only. No medal.

Royal Newfoundland Regiment didn’t get any special medal, and they had significantly worse survival rate than the airmen of Bomber Command. 

More to the point, recognition can take many forms.  Perhaps the most important can be linkages and long-term relationships formed between those supported in the ground and those supporting from the air, remote or “personal.”  I know a number of guys who live and fly out of the Florida pan handle, who have quite a following of “thankful brothers.”  Can’t say as I directly know many supporters from Tampa and Vegas, but I can imagine appreciation gets passed where and when it can.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Royal Newfoundland Regiment didn’t get any special medal, and they had significantly worse survival rate than the airmen of Bomber Command. 

Some land, sea and air units during World War Two sustained worse losses than others.

But overall,

"The pitiful prospects of surviving a tour of bomber operations were only matched in hazard on either side by the German U-boat crews."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Hastings

Brihard said:
I believe that those working the RPAs are as capable of kicking *** at their jobs as anyone. I don't think we're likely to see decorations for valour handed out, but where solid work is done, commendations, MIDs, and maybe the odd meritorious service decoration would not go amiss. We've certainly seen MSMs handed out for much lesser stuff than providing effective and skilled RPA support (armed or unarmed) to friendly forces in war. I've been fortunate enough to have made a few friends in that community, and I recognize them to be an un-sung group of quiet professionals who do some serious kick-*** work.

This.  :nod:

Saw this in one of the Covid-19 discussions. Adding here, without comment, for future reference.

So herein lies the question: Are medals for risk/hardship, or for conduct during operations?

If it's the former, then do the staff at MacDill AFB (Tampa, FL) or Bahrain get medals revoked? If it's the latter, then if the actions of an RPA crew (not just pilot) is worthy of a medal, should they not get it regardless of their location?

The USAF have given RPA crews Meritorious Service and Air Force Commendation medals too: USAF to Give RPA Crews Prominent Awards - Air Force Magazine

The RAF have given their Reaper crews medals for operations as well: 'Phenomenal' Reaper Crews Receive First Op Shader Medals

Back