• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trouble with the Neighbours

pbi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
General Hillier had   (and has...) an excellent relationship with the US Army. I know from my own experience that when I reported to the HQ of CJTF76 in Bagram, Gen Hillier was still remembered with respect and fondness by very senior US folks there for his excellent leadership of ISAF V. I would be very, very surprised to hear that the CDS or other Gens with recent op experience would have willingly made this decision. I am much more inclined to believe that it has political origins, rooted in the hypocritical and sanctimonious fear that we are "cosying up" too much. No wonder we have difficulties with the US. It makes my skin crawl.

Maybe its time we returned to the days of Op APOLLO and get back into the game as a respected partner rather than whiling away our days in K-Town working for a multi-national clown act. (Sorry-I'm being unfair: I can't really comment directly on ISAF VII, but ISAF VI was The Big Top with Bozo and Boffo leaping all over the place...) I look forward to our total TOCA from ISAF to OEF.

Cheers,

ISAF VI was The Big Top with Bozo and Boffo leaping all over the place

God, you can say that again!   My opinion of a number of armies was completely changed by ISAF VI.   Realizing that the Franco-German Brigade was EUROCORPS "entry force" and (worse) that the Belgian Para-Commandos were regarded as the "elite" designed to be first inserted into an operation, their lack of ability came as a huge shock - especially after being raised on stories from old 4 CMBG guys about how great the Germans were.   Needless to say, I won't serve with a multi-national (European) unit again if I can avoid it.   HQ ISAF (and KMNB) was a brutal gong show after Hillier left and they were very lucky not to have had soldiers killed through incompetence.

The Europeans always thought the UK, US and Canada were "up to something" anyway...

TR

pbi said:
I look forward to our total TOCA from ISAF to OEF.

Cheers,

YOU AND EVERY SOLDIER IN THE CF...

FWIW Reserve Augmentees are showing up for work Monday to start pre-pre-pre training.

It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that some will be offered DS Mirage, some a choice of guaranteed DS Mirage - or taking a chance continuing on trg with the Bn to have a chance to go on TF 1/06, and if cut will still have guaranteed employment sweeping the 1VP lines  ;) - and some being told flat out sorry beat it punk.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
God, you can say that again!   My opinion of a number of armies was completely changed by ISAF VI.   Realizing that the Franco-German Brigade was EUROCORPS "entry force" and (worse) that the Belgian Para-Commandos were regarded as the "elite" designed to be first inserted into an operation, their lack of ability came as a huge shock - especially after being raised on stories from old 4 CMBG guys about how great the Germans were.   Needless to say, I won't serve with a multi-national (European) unit again if I can avoid it.  
seconded. From what I saw in ISAF 0, I have no faith in any military from Europe except the Brits. Actually, from what I've seen in Bosnia, several exchanges, and Kabul, I have no faith in any military that isn't the US, the UK, Australia, or New Zealand. Bloody horrific!

Reading your post made me think again...  After Bosnia and HQ IRF(L), I found that the Europeans weren't (with some exceptions) much better back then either...  I worked hand in glove with the Yanks on APOLLO and there was no comparison, despite some minor quibbles...  Someone (PBI?) used the term "Eurotourists" to describe ISAF VI - and that about sums it up.

It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that some will be offered DS Mirage, some a choice of guaranteed DS Mirage - or taking a chance continuing on trg with the Bn to have a chance to go on TF 1/06, and if cut will still have guaranteed employment sweeping the 1VP lines  - and some being told flat out sorry beat it punk.

That would make sense, although I am now out of this loop.  All will depend on how many get off the bus....

Cheers,

TR

German patrol policy - if you gte rocketed or shit simply avoid the area and hope they shot at someone else...  ::)

Having been an unfortunate participant in a Multi-National op I can say I was suprised none of us died to to incompetance, cowardice or general stupidity on behalf of the EuroRental Army.

We had a Hungarian "ParaCommando" OC leave the incident to eat supper and left my boss (a Capt) in charge - we where the only two Canucks around...  so much for European professionalism (I could go on but this is an open board, secondly I doubt anyone want to see a huge 4 page diatribe witten by me on the Europeans).

Lived it every day for six and a half months, brudda.  The smell of cooked cabbage is enough to send me into orbit.

I could go on forever, too - at the Brigade, we had the Georgians doing camp guard over the election.... :eek:

Maybe a new thread:  "Dumb S**t I've Seen European Armies Do"... ::)

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Maybe a new thread:   "Dumb S**t I've Seen European Armies Do"... ::)
Italian carabinieri officer standing in his skivvies (skin-tight thong) blow-drying his hair, when I'm sent to fetch him for confirmatory orders for an Operation his "troops" are vital to. (My eyes!  :eek:  )"I'll be there as soon as my hair is done."  ::)

secondly I doubt anyone want to see a huge 4 page diatribe witten by me on the Europeans

Well sheesh why do you think we're here?  Change the names and call them Granovians if you want, but out with it already.

KevinB said:
I doubt anyone want to see a huge 4 page diatribe witten by me on the Europeans).

Yes we do.

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Maybe a new thread:  "Dumb S**t I've Seen European Armies Do"... ::)

I second Teddy and Brit's motion, a new thread is in order.

OK, opening round:

We shut down downtown Kabul around Chicken Street two weeks after a hand grenade attack aimed at foreigners so the French Defence Minister's boyfriend could buy a carpet! This was a complete operation:  surveillance, route blockages, increased patrols, the whole bit!

Lest there be confusion, the Minister is female...

[rant on] * portions edit for OPSEC

We are tasked to provide Close Protection for CF EOD pers and CF INT w/ local source.  Firstly the mission racetracks in CAMP for five hours while the EURO MNB gets its act together - then we hold in location (CAMP) while waiting for the MNB to set up a cordon - then when we get info the cordon is set we roll to the front gate and some Yahoo asks me if we are with the "source" I kinda ignore him and he asks again - I direct him to our Capt.  Turns out he is a Norwegian Col (who knew...) anyway he held the Multi's at the Camp gate waiting for us...  -- while we where waiting for them to set a cordon... 
  Right...

Then after another co-ord (read dogfuck) we set off in convoy with the bozo patrol (mixed Hungarian/Beglian Company)

All of 500m past the gate we get halted by the local SS (Afghan Secret Service - but make no mistake then are the nail pulling types) - they want to speak to the source (go figure: they want the bomb to sell) After another Goatfuck some clown (read EuroCorps Senior Officer) agrees to let them in to the sources house first.

We get to the site - wait for 45min in a line down a road while the Clown Patrol attempts to set up a Cordon while an America Platoon takes over from a B Coy 1VP LAV that was watchign the site...

Cordon Set -- or is IT

Now I dont know about you but a US/UK/Canadian cordon actually means CORDON - not line'ish of people who may be vaguely understood as soliders sitting around smoking and joking and not stopping traffic in or out...

Anyway we learn this is what the Europeans consider a cordon and that is what we are getting...

2hrs pass the Afghan SS is looking in the tgt house...

They cant find it (the bomb)

We take source, CF Inf goumbah (dont get me started) and Int dudes 3VP Close Protection soldier to the house.

Wrong house - our bad...  The Hungarian Maj had been in a such a hurry to take over he never got a ground brief and told the American to watch the wrong house  ::)

So after a discussion with the Brass Gong (Norwegian Col [he's here why?], Hungarian Maj, Belgian Capt, US Lt, Brit Capt [still unsure why he was there other than seeing how F'd up ISAF was] and a slew of other Euro bozo's - total rank 1 Col, 6 Maj, 4 Capt.  Somehow the Norwegian Col seems to think I know whats going on (okay I have a beard, no rank, C8SFW with wizzies and pistol) he asks my opinion - which I give  ^-^
anyway no one seems to have a better idea so...
-- later my Capt wonder why I got asked and not him -- we figured that Col Norgie decided hey ask the SF guy  ::)

however the Afghan SS have already come back and bring the bomb in the street  :blotto:

more stupidity

its takign a while for the CF EOD team to do this thing in so the Hungarians are tired and partialy collapse the cordon to eat  ??? - their OC goes as well and leave my Capt running the show (the other officers seem to have faded off when the novelty of the bomb wore off..)

Bomb disarmed (16 hours after we found out about the mission)

Everyone leaves - leaving the Canadians with a BOMB - so we have to run shotgun for the EOD team all over hells half acre to the NATO bomb site --

Even better when OC B tried to run the mission himself he was shot down by the Brass Bozo's as the CF did not have an AOR...
So they got their rental armies to try to do it - yet still stuck us holding the bag when they got bored.

[rant off]

I have more...

-- later my Capt wonder why I got asked and not him -- we figured that Col Norgie decided hey ask the SF guy  Roll Eyes

Funny, this never showed up on any of your bi-weekly diatribes on non issued kit......

;D  I saved some secrets...

Or even better the Belgain Para's drug raid!

Now keep in mind some GENIUS in NDHQ decided that instead of sending an extra 20 031's from Canada to do OP duty we decided to cut the #'s and use foreign troops to do the Camps OP's..
  - that testifies to the stupidity of some CF Brass but I digress.

Now you wonder what Belgian Para's and drug raids have in common

Some fo you probably think I am going to tell you of a multinational drug raid...

and I sort of am  ;)

Unfortunately I cant give to much background due to OPSEC concerns about the OPS and the manning etc.

But anyway Steve (a buddy) was doing a rotation as an OP liason NCO and went up to see how they where doing  ;D

Whatcha think Steve found - well a PARTY  :eek:  complete with booze and drugs - plus guns etc...
Seems the Paras decided to cut loose with a little Weed, some Hash and maybe a few other illegal Narcotics - plus Beer and Hard Liquor.

Now if they only had hookers Steve might have stayed - I mean who has a party without Hookers  ???

Needless to say there was a small adjustment in personnel in the Belge contingent  ;D

let me guess - they sent hookers? :D

OK, here goes (and I remember both KevinB's op and the drug thing all too well... gong show all round):

Some (non-operational) stuff from Camp Warehouse:

1.  Georgians watching DVDs while on sentry.

2.  The French Major who cocked his pistol and fired it THREE times into the unloading bay.

3.  The Slovak officer who nearly died of alcohol poisoning at HQ ISAF (in fact, he was clinically dead at the hospital).

4.  Three French soldiers caught drunk downtown, visiting one of the more notorious establishments (yes, they're in Kabul too).

5.  Waiting 1.5 hours OUTSIDE the Warehouse gate (in a soft-skinned vehicle) because the Germans were running an exercise.

6.  Four days without food of any description (late Jan 05).  Thank God for care packages!  Three days without potable water too...

7.  17 "bars" on CW ("Cocktail Party au Sunshine Bar")...  Need I say more?

8.  Having Romanian MPs in the neighbouring tent and listening to them party all night - every night.

9.  Spanish unwilling - for over a month - to fly anyone but Spaniards in their helicopters.

10.  The Turkish Brigadier's new marble office floors - three days after taking command.

I have a number of war stories much like KevinB's, but will have to think about what I can post here.  Bloody gong show...

TR

More Hungarian Professionalism
and a pictorial history  ;)
Out for a ride (and you wondered WHY the other contigents did not like us poaching their AOR's)  We see a Hungarian Platoon stooped by the road -I swear they left the gate and stopped at the first tea shop they could find.

DKSBSF.jpg

We do our little thing and come back 4 hours later - the same platoon is at the same site  :eek:  Still having TEA.

Next: night patrol down the Jowz Valley (infamous from the Sgt Short / Cpl Beerenfenger mine attack)

JowzValley.jpg

Now I don't know about you but I always tend to pay attention a wee bit more at night.  Coming down around one of the little towns (the 3" wide road with the lovely walls on each side)
RoadinTown.jpg

AND WHO DO WE SEE?

a Hungarian Platoon bedded down for the night (on Patrol MY ASS) - there is one guy manning the PKM MG up on a GWagon (they had the useful version where you could look around or mount stuff to...)  he's half asleep - I figured we'd get stitched any day when he woke up and saw people approaching...

KevinB said:
More Hungarian Professionalism
and a pictorial history   ;)
Out for a ride (and you wondered WHY the other contigents did not like us poaching their AOR's)   We see a Hungarian Platoon stooped by the road -I swear they left the gate and stopped at the first tea shop they

Reserves .......... I'd start training them as they are probably all we'll ever see of the next 5000 regulars for quite some time as the idiots on Parliament Hill who send the CF overseas have this nasty habit of sending the leg units out to the line and attritting them down to zero.

Everyman an infantryman and every weapon pointed outside the perimeter

Snit about Reserves?  What are you talking about?

Back