• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

transferring to navy

smithdc

Inactive
Reaction score
hey~ i'm currently living in nova scotia and im in the army reserve, im moving to victoria BC in september next year and i doubt there is much b class army work out there so im thinking about going naval reserve as a boatswain , what actions and paperwork would i have to do, and is one year enough time to do this in? and ive done BMQ, SQ, and BIQ in the army, would i have to redo basic? any help would be great ~ semper fi :salute:

If you did the BMQ in-unit that might pose a problem in granting you your by-pass, but my understanding is that NAVRES generally accepts BMQ + SQ as basic qualified - only a formal request can give you the answer, so I'd recommend contacting the nearest NRD (SCOTIAN, in Halifax) to ask the recruiter there. A year should be ample for the process, as long as you get moving; you'll need to schedule a PSO interview to assess your suitability for the Boatswain trade before the Occupational Transfer can go through. Since I presume you'll want employment next summer, the way to go about this is:

- Put in the request ASAP to transfer to NAVRES at SCOTIAN;
- Explain to SCOTIAN that you'll have to commute from Middleton, so you won't be able to parade every Wednesday night (if that's the case);
- Don't try to hide the fact that you plan to transfer to MALAHAT (in Victoria) next fall - they won't mind, particularly for the Boatswain trade; and
- Get your summer employment while at SCOTIAN (you'll probably be employed at the Fleet School in Halifax, if all goes according to plan) and arrange your transfer to MALAHAT over the summer.

Good luck.

smithdc said:
hey~ i'm currently living in nova scotia and im in the army reserve, im moving to victoria BC in september next year and i doubt there is much b class army work out there so im thinking about going naval reserve as a boatswain , what actions and paperwork would i have to do, and is one year enough time to do this in? and ive done BMQ, SQ, and BIQ in the army, would i have to redo basic? any help would be great ~ semper fi :salute:

You do realize there are several reserve army units in Victoria and the surrounding area so what do you base your statment "much class b work" on? have you contacted any of the units in question? Have to talked to your CoC regarding a transfer from you unit to any of the army units out there? You make a lot of assumptions in your post that say to me you have only investigated the naval option....

A few guys from victoria tranferred from there , and when i asked, they said the only work ill find that is steady and will pay my rent , is in wainwright, if there was closer work than i have no problem staying infantry. Ive tried to contact the recruiter out there but no luck so far, he should be returning my call anytime, I just wanted to bring this up as an option. Im just on the search for some steady B class work to keep me livin out there. If there is other known work out there without transferring, Id love to hear about it ~thank you for your time  :salute: Semper fi

smithdc said:
A few guys from victoria tranferred from there , and when i asked, they said the only work ill find that is steady and will pay my rent , is in wainwright, if there was closer work than i have no problem staying infantry. Ive tried to contact the recruiter out there but no luck so far, he should be returning my call anytime, I just wanted to bring this up as an option. Im just on the search for some steady B class work to keep me livin out there. If there is other known work out there without transferring, Id love to hear about it ~thank you for your time  :salute: Semper fi

Have you ever thought of getting a job ?

I have a similar question regarding transfers between army and navy. In the case of a trade qualified army NCM transferring to the navy as an officer do they get an IAP or BOTP bypass or he/she has to start from scratch? Currently I am doing graduate school in the UK however, I am in the supp res. (plus I joined the UOTC here just to keep my military skills sharp) and I am thinking of joining the NavRes as an Int O next year when I come back to Canada. So if anyone knows anything about this transfer between NCM and Officer I would appreciate the response.

Falange

PS: I am sorry I am using this threat to ask my question but I just figured that the topic is related and it was not worth opening another post. Nonetheless, if the mods think it is better to open a new one I do not have a problem with that

Have you done your PLQ?  Also out of curiousity, what is UOTC?  Are you talking about a reserves exchange with the UK?

I did not get to do my PLQ unfortunetly. UOTC stands for University Officer Training Corps, which technically are university units part of the Territorial Army (Brit army reserves), hoewever their role is to train OCdts and therefore they are not operational for deployment. They pretty much train university students that want to get a commission when they graduate or people just curious about army stuff. Although, I should mention that the Royal Navy and the RAF have similar university units. In the first year the recruits do something extremely similar to BMQ, the second year you get leadership courses, and the two final years you get prepared for Sandhurst and start working with a local unit. The exchange program your thinking about is the Memorandum of Understanding that exists between the MoD and the CF but that is another story. The reason because I joined the UOTC and not the TA or did the MoU exchange is just because my degree is time demanding and the UOTCs schedules are usually designed to not create conflict with school.

Falange

My understanding (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) but without your PLQ qualification, you need to do the entire officer basic training, so IAP and BOTP.  With your PLQ qualification, you may apply for IAP-bypass and only attend the BOTP portion of the course.  However, the benefit of being trade qualified already is that you can keep your pay / or get bumped to a higher pay level when doing your basic officer training depending on your entry plan.

I may have misunderstood but if you joined the UOTC in Britain, which "technically are university units part of the Territorial Army (Brit army reserves)," and were a member of the supplementary reserves in Canada, were you not serving two masters at the same time so to speak?

I am just serving the same Queen, so I have the same master ;D!  In reality I am under no obligation to serve with the UK, not even in a national emergency case sort of thing. I am just participating in a training stablishment. However, with the Supp. res I do have the obligation to serve if called upon. So in technicalities there is no conflict between the two.

ah, no obligation to serve solves the mystery.

As a matter of fact different Queens :p
The Queen of Canada, the Crown of Canada, as an institution is the very embodiment of our Canadian system of government, our constitution, and the Canadian way of life (ie Canadian democracy, constitutional monarchy etc.) as encompassed by parliament.  This is the very basis of Canadian society and what Canada is built on.  So when you joined the CF and swore/affirmed an oath to the "Queen of Canada," this was not in reference to the Queen as an individual sitting in the U.K., but the Queen of Canada as an institution which is the very essense of our Canadian way of life.  Many new CF members (and MP's for that matter) don't necessarily understand what they are swearing an oath to but in fact, the Canadian way of life (as embodied by the Canadian system of government, the Crown of Canada) is exactly what we are sworn to defend and do defend on CF operations around the world everyday.  This is very different from the Queen of the U.K.

Haha, sorry, couldn't resist with the rant.  ;D
Cheers!

smithdc said:

If your serious about transfering to the naval reserve, there's lots of work on the ships right now and the best part about it is its mostly Class C.

You do not have to leave the army reserve if you do not want to. As mentioned, there are units in BC and based on your performance, there is work in the next few years (ie: 2010). If you are set on a CT, the Naval Reserve will take you based on a PLA and through the PLA grant you BMQ and some other quals (ie:404s). From that you will start off as anyone else as a Bosn. As mentioned above, once trained, there is more work than you care for on the coast. You have to be willing to accept IAW the needs of the service and you will be employed more often than not.

Falange said:
I have a similar question regarding transfers between army and navy. In the case of a trade qualified army NCM transferring to the navy as an officer do they get an IAP or BOTP bypass or he/she has to start from scratch? Currently I am doing graduate school in the UK however, I am in the supp res. (plus I joined the UOTC here just to keep my military skills sharp) and I am thinking of joining the NavRes as an Int O next year when I come back to Canada. So if anyone knows anything about this transfer between NCM and Officer I would appreciate the response.

Falange

PS: I am sorry I am using this threat to ask my question but I just figured that the topic is related and it was not worth opening another post. Nonetheless, if the mods think it is better to open a new one I do not have a problem with that

I actually just went through this process myself.  I was an NCM in the army, PLQ qualified.  I released to the Supp Res and then rejoined the Navy as a MARS Officer.  They wrote off the IAP, so the only portion I have to do is the BOTP.  If you dont have the PLQ already complete you will start from scratch.  The only way to get the whole IAP and BOTC written off is if you help the rank of Sgt or above.

Hope this helps

Back