• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Season

Revelations2005

Inactive
Reaction score
I've been reading through the boards because I want to join the Reg. Forces. Is it too late to sign up for this summer? I'm not too sure. It's only the middle of May but I hope it's not too late. I've finished school for the year and I want to experience different things in my life at this point.

If you are talking regs then it is never too late, although the chances of getting a bmq for the summer are slim, I believe that last reg force BMQ for the year runs in OCT and then starts fresh again in January. If it's reserves your looking for, you are cutting it close but may be able to get on a course if you go start your application like now...are you still here, I did say now.  ;D

Hell, I'm in the same situition as you. I'm looking into the regular forces (infantry.. always been a dream of mine).

If you know the process is going to take a while.. why not apply as soon as you can. That way you will get in faster..instead of waiting around to say applying after summer. Hey, you never know you just might get a chance to train in the summer if you get your ass in gear now with your applications etc.

I finish school in June, but I'm going down to my local recruiting office this week sometime. I'm going to be working full time in the summer, just more time for me to make some quick cash and get in better shape for BT!

Cheers!:cdn:

ScottyA

I wouldn't count on getting in for summer alone, have a back-up for the summer if you need to work.  I can't speak for the reg force but i know that sometimes it can take a while from handing in your application, until the day you start course.  I guess it also depends on the regiment you plan to join and the availability they have left for the summer. I'd say start the process cause the worst that could happen is that you start later on in the year!

As for Scott....it's PT not BT (assuming your talking about getting in shape).

Revelations2005 said:
I've been reading through the boards because I want to join the Reg. Forces. Is it too late to sign up for this summer? I'm not too sure. It's only the middle of May but I hope it's not too late. I've finished school for the year and I want to experience different things in my life at this point.

The sooner you get into a recruiting center and find out if there is a trade you really want in the reg. force the sooner they can start processing your application.

Perhaps your reading through the boards has not impressed on you that there can be a considerable time lapse between application and enrollment.
Hoping to land on a summer BMQ, while not having even submitted an application by the middle of may seems really far fetched in my opinion.  I won't say it can't happen, but I think it would be really unlikely.

I applied for Reg. Force 031 about three years ago, and am due to finally be merit listed in the very near future (just as soon as the med file comes back, its been about a month now)

Now there are lots of reasons why it's taken 3 years, however, aside from 1 thing that closed my application for awhile the slow processing time has been completely out of my control.  I qualified for every NCM trade on the CFAT, have a well above average fitness level, had 2 really solid interviews, and have no significant medical issues.

There was a request for allergy testing because I told the med tech I was reactive to be stings when I was a child (4 months) then subsequently I waited for my file to come back from Borden for about 8 months because it had never actually been sent.  Station #2 had listed my file as delivered to the med. dept, but had never actually walked the file over.  Probably, someone thought "I'll do that after lunch" and then never remembered.  It took a lot of phone calls to sort it out.  I was met with some really serious attitude at the end too when someone at station #2 became insistent that if the computer said the file was delivered, then it must have been delivered, and that there was no point in looking in the filing cabinet.  After I practically had to beg her, she finally got up (after 6 weeks of calling), opened the drawer and found it straight off.

Then came the transfer a year ago.  I was waiting for the med file to come back from Borden last spring, probably only weeks away from the merit list when I separated from my longtime girlfriend in Toronto.  I decided I would be happier moving home to BC than staying back east.  I made it really clear to the recruiting center that I did not want to jeopardise my process in any way, and that if transferring CFRC's was going to be ANY kind of problem that I would wait it out in Toronto.  They were enthusiastically insistent that it was a total non issue, my file would arrive before I even moved back, be glanced at by the CO of the recruiting center and proceed to the merit list.
It took about 6 weeks for the file to get here, and only after some calls made from the new CFRC to the old on my behalf.  Then the CO was on assignment to CFB Comox for about 2 months and by the time she got back my PT was expired.  so basically I've been put through the entire process over again minus the CFAT.  Updated medical, PT, and interview, all of which were scheduling issues due to the fact that I work Monday to Friday and my employer has to shut down whatever site we are at for me to take a couple of hours off, so I've had to schedule these updates at least 2 weeks in advance to feel comfortable enough to take the time off.

Now finally I'm really really close to getting merit listed and I'm living like a hermit because I'm terrified that some unforeseen event will set me back at zero again.  Any legal matter could close your file for 6 months, some jerk picking a fight at the bar, a car accident, witnessing a crime, whatever, I want none of it right now.

As you can see, there is so much potential for hangups during the recruiting process it's unreal.  It really would be wise to get in and talk to a recruiter right away.  Because if you toy with the idea for awhile, but don't commit to applying then when you eventually do make the commitment you could end up frustrated and disappointed at how long it all can take.

Anyway, Go for it I say, and Good luck.

I'm just wondering, I started up my application process in April, and have got my CFAT and Medical done, as well as my physical this tuesday. I will also have my interview on the 24th. I asked the recruiting center to switch my application from the MP reserves to the Infantry Regular Force, and hopefully be with the PPCLI here in Edmonton. Does anybody have any idea how long it may take for myself to get into training, if their are no problems with my application or my health?

There is no way to tell exactly how long it can take.  At least that's what I have come to believe through my experience in the recruiting proccess, and from reading through this forum.

First will be the time it takes for your medical file to be reviewed at Borden.  Usually you will be told 2-8 weeks (4-8 is a safer bet).  Assuming you are found suitable for enrollment after your interview, and there are no medical issues to be clarified with Borden you would then be placed on the merit list.
Your trade of choice will convene a selection board and select candidates in order of merit scores begining with the highest scores first and working their way down until they have filled all available openings.
If you have a high score, you may only have to wait as long as it takes for your trade to get around to holding a selection board (possibly right away, possibly a few months).  A mid to low score may see you get passed over and waiting for several more months before they reconvene to select more candidates.

After you are selected and sworn in, it can be anywhere from a couple of weeks, to a couple of months before you are scheduled to attend BMQ.
I've also seen a lot of talk about people who finish BMQ, but who do not get into their trade training for a really long time.

Like I said, I'm going to the recruiting center this week, I would say don't plan on getting into the army right away, it's different for everyone. I already have a construction job lined up for this summer and if I need it, into next fall and after Christmas. Just because I just don't want to sit at home waiting and waiting.. for a phone call, when it could be a couple of months and some cases years.

GrahamD said:
Your trade of choice will convene a selection board and select candidates in order of merit scores begining with the highest scores first and working their way down until they have filled all available openings.
If you have a high score, you may only have to wait as long as it takes for your trade to get around to holding a selection board (possibly right away, possibly a few months).  A mid to low score may see you get passed over and waiting for several more months before they reconvene to select more candidates.

Hey GrahamD sorry to hear about the crazy wait and the attitude you at times got.....my question is what do you mean by high and low scores....are the scores in relation to your Aptitude test and PT and Interview. Cheers. :cdn:

I havent been here for a while, but I'll post this anyway, in case you havent found out elsewhere already.
  The simple answer is yes, they review ALL the information the have gathered about you, and then assign you a merit score based upon that information.

the military isn't a career for those that decide to join on a weekend whim. (well maybe the reserves is)

it takes approximately 8 months from applying to go off to bmq (boot camp)
so it gives you lotsa time to think about it and make sure its what you want, but yeah... you don't just sign up and get shipped out later that month lol, i wish!!!

Hmm. I completed my CFAT, medical, fitness, and interview last week. I'm not sure how the numbers go, but I think each province, or each recruiting centre has a certain quota for each trade? Prehaps I'm wrong on this, but the recruiter told me for the trades I"m looking for, ex 700 infantry, 350 crewman, 300 for sig op.  So basically I can kiss goodbye my hopes of going to BMQ this summer or fall?  Prehaps a recruiter could clarify this a little for me? I'm not looking for exact times or anything, just an estimate would do.

I wouldn't write if off yet Fry. It seems that the CFRC here in St.John's has a penchant for moving people along real quick!

hmm, sounds good... I hope so.... I want to go before christmas, lol. prehaps I'll give em a call now.

Back