• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tommy Robinson arrested

It's still strange to send someone to jail and banning the ability to publically report it or discuss it.

https://www.dangerous.com/44250/tommy-robinson-jailed-u-k-issues-media-blackout-thousands-march-protest/

Tens of thousands of people marched to 10 Downing Street in central London over the weekend to protest Robinson’s arrest. Protesters were seen holding signs that read #FreeTommy and waving Union Jack flags while calling for Robinson to be released. Protestors also took to the streets in other cities like Tel Aviv over the weekend and further demonstrations are planned in multiple cities, including outside the British Consulate in New York. 

Apparently it was "hundreds", not thousands. However the petition to release him has signed 400,000 in 1 day. https://sputniknews.com/viral/201805281064885078-tommy-robinson-arrest/

Arresting him was stupid, they gave him more legitimacy and made him a lightening rod.

Colin P said:
https://sputniknews.com/viral/201805281064885078-tommy-robinson-arrest/

Sputnik News,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputnik_(news_agency)#Criticism

The BBC reported today,
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-44287640
Robinson was already subject to a suspended sentence for a contempt charge related to a separate case in Canterbury.

At the earlier sentencing hearing, the judge warned him he should expect to go to prison if he committed further offences.

END QUOTE

I think the crux of the issue is how fast the police and courts acted in his case and not others.

Colin P said:
I think the crux of the issue is how fast the police and courts acted in his case and not others.

As well as the weird publication ban on his sentencing and being sent to prison.

Jarnhamar said:
As well as the weird publication ban on his sentencing and being sent to prison.

According to the BBC,

"A ban on reporting his 13-month sentence at the same court was lifted after being challenged by the media."

Some judges are reasonable and careful, others are complete nutbars who enjoy their authority to much. Both my wife and sister had tales of being lawyers in courts with the nutbars. Got to see it once myself when i challenged a ticket, at the end both the cop and I walked out and looked at each other and said WTF just happened?

My first reaction was to ignore the latest wrinkle in this story and hope that it passed unnoticed by the rest of the site.  Providing more attention to this . . . . .  (discretion prevents me from labeling him with what I really think of him) would just add to his reputation, however the appeal judgement that sees him released on bail is a good example of how a judiciary functions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-45029755
Tommy Robinson bailed after Court of Appeal win

Former English Defence League (EDL) leader Tommy Robinson has been released on bail after winning an appeal against a contempt of court finding.

The 35-year-old admitted the charge and was jailed in May for filming outside Leeds Crown Court during a trial.

At the Court of Appeal, Lord Chief Justice Lord Burnett ruled the case be reheard as there had been technical flaws by the judge who jailed him.

Robinson's solicitors said everyone has the "right to a fair hearing".

The far-right activist, from Luton, was not present for the ruling in London and was released from his 13-month sentence being served at Onley Prison, near Rugby just before 15:30 BST.

Speaking to reporters, Robinson said: "All the British media do is lie. I have a lot to say but nothing to you.

"I want to thank the British public for all their support."

In his written judgement, Lord Burnett said: "We are satisfied that the finding of contempt made in Leeds following a fundamentally flawed process, in what we recognise were difficult and unusual circumstances, cannot stand.

"We will direct that the matter be reheard before a different judge."

Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley Lennon, will attend the Old Bailey for the hearing, conducted by the Recorder of London, "as soon as reasonably possible".

The case that brought Robinson to Leeds related to grooming and the second of three trials involving 28 men. The third trial is due to start in September.

Footage, filmed by Robinson on a mobile phone and broadcast on social media, saw him discussing the criminal trial that was subject to reporting restrictions.

The video, lasting about an hour-and-a-half, was watched 250,000 times within hours of being posted as a Facebook Live.

A statement from Robinson's solicitors said: "The rule of law and right to a fair hearing are fundamental to every individual and this ruling is an example of the safeguards of our system.

"What makes the British system so unique is the ability to set aside personal feelings and deal with the law and each case on its merits."

Robinson had challenged two contempt of court findings but Lord Burnett said a suspended sentence he was given relating to a trial in Canterbury in May 2017 should stand.

He was given 10 months for contempt of court in Leeds and a further three months for breaching the suspended sentence handed to him in Canterbury.

Robinson attended Canterbury Crown Court during a rape trial of four men and filmed on the steps of the court and inside the building while the jury was considering its verdicts.

At an earlier hearing, Robinson's QC argued that procedural "deficiencies" had caused "prejudice" in Leeds.

Lord Burnett said the judge should not have commenced contempt proceedings the same day he was arrested.

He explained "no particulars of the contempt were formulated or put to the appellant", and there was "a muddle over the nature of the contempt being considered".

Robinson's bail conditions order that he does not "approach within 400m (0.2 miles) of Leeds Crown Court".

His lawyers had argued that a rehearing was not necessary due to the length of time he served in prison.

But the Court of Appeal said the "alleged contempt was serious" and the sentence might be longer than that already served.

Rival groups of Robinson supporters and "Stand Up To Racism" protesters had gathered outside the Royal Courts of Justice and swapped chants.

Both groups of about 30 people were outnumbered by watching police.

BBC White House reporter, Tara McKelvey, said his case has generated "a united front among nationalists" from across the Atlantic, with Robinson gaining support from the likes of Steve Bannon and Donald Trump Junior.

I've cut and put into individual quotes two separate but related sections from the same BBC article link.

Analysis: By Dominic Casciani, BBC home affairs correspondent

This morning, the Lord Chief Justice's ruling in Robinson's appeal underlined that the rule of law - the rules that apply to us all - must be applied fairly in all circumstances.

And that's why the Court of Appeal ruled that Robinson's second conviction in a year for contempt of court was flawed. In essence, the five hours from arrest to sentence at Leeds Crown Court was rushed.

Robinson wasn't told what specific parts of his activity at the court had been potentially prejudicial to a jury - meaning nobody to this day knows exactly what he did wrong.

Further, he immediately removed the offending video from Facebook on the court's order and the judge should have then adjourned the matter to give him longer to prepare a defence.

Tommy Robinson is still convicted of contempt in relation to his behaviour at Canterbury last year where he received his three month sentence for potentially derailing a fair trial.

Today, the Court of Appeal said that very same right to a fair hearing means Robinson should have a full opportunity to put his case without rushing to judge.

What is contempt of court?

Contempt of court laws are designed to protect the rule of law, ensure fair trials - and avoid trial by media.

Contempt can be committed by a broad range of people and organisations including the press, jurors, and social media users.

The maximum sentence for contempt of court is two years' imprisonment, but it can also be punished with a fine.

The law on contempt is set out in case law and the 1981 Contempt of Court Act.

Key areas that amount to contempt include:
◾Publishing anything that creates a substantial risk of seriously prejudicing "active" criminal proceedings
◾Bringing into a court building a device for recording sound

Taking photographs or film in a court building is capable of being a contempt of court.

Breaching a court order or undertakings given to the court can also amount to contempt.

So he's out, for now.  Okay, my prejudices are showing.  For those interested in the full judgement from the Court Of Appeal, it's available here.  https://www.judiciary.uk/judgments/r-v-stephen-yaxley-lennon-aka-tommy-robinson/

The Rebel on his treatment in prison https://www.therebel.media/revealed_tommy_robinson_s_shocking_treatment_in_prison

[quote author=Blackadder1916]  Okay, my prejudices are showing. 
[/quote]

You're not the only one.

- the five hours from arrest to sentence at Leeds Crown Court was rushed.

-Robinson wasn't told what specific parts of his activity at the court had been potentially prejudicial to a jury - meaning nobody to this day knows exactly what he did wrong.

-the judge should have then adjourned the matter to give him longer to prepare a defence. 

Tommy is asking for asylum in the U.S.

Tommy Robinson begs for asylum in US as he faces jail in the UK
https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/09/tommy-robinson-begs-asylum-us-faces-jail-uk-10135682/
Far-right activist Tommy Robinson has made a public appeal to Donald Trump begging to be granted ‘asylum’ because he faces jail in the UK.

Granting asylum would cause an uproar I am sure. But with relations between the Government and the US in a rough patch I can see Trump granting his request. Thoughts ?

Sure, then the UK could grant Assange asylum as bit of a quid pro quo.

Back