• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons Kandahar Hat!

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
My son just got back in April from Kandahar and while he was there he received some of these hats. Anyway, some of the guys mentioned they were interested in a thread awhile back, and I thought I would mention it here if they were still interested.
Ebay Link

His description
Canada Day, 2006, Kandahar Afghanistan, Tim Hortons on the Kandahar Air Field Base (KAF) was opened much to the delight of members of the Canadian Armed Forces (and other members of the coalition). Troops could now have a taste of home and and Iced Cappuccino to battle the summer heat. The Tim Hortons trailer in Afghanistan took much logistical planning, and staff members from all across Canada applied to work in Afghanistan to serve our soldiers doubles doubles. There were innumerable stories in the media about the opening of this coffee shop, and of the staff that were putting their lives on hold for 6 months for the greatest cause there is, putting a smile on a soldiers face. The store is an amazing success story, doing daily sales a franchise in Canada could only dream of, especially since it has a limited menu compared to most Tim Hortons back in Canada.
    This store was run by the Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency (CFPSA), however all of the staff training was done according to Tim Hortons corporate standard. Although the trailer had only limited space, it is an amazingly efficient and clean operation,  exceeding all food safety expectations, no small feat in the dusty Afghanistan desert. The staff wore the uniforms of the CFPSA, the only piece of uniform that said Tim Hortons was the coveted camo cap you can see in the pictures above. The caps were made in limited numbers, with CFPSA employees receiving two each, as well as some members of the forces during Roto 2&3 getting a cap of their own as well. The caps quickly became a commodity, as not only were they a piece of Canadian military history, they were very aesthetically pleasing, securing its position as a MUST-HAVE item. When Roll-Up-The-Rim was introduced at the outlet in Kandahar, the caps were offered up as a winning prize. This is the same cap you can also find in the Canadian War Museum.
    Working at the Tim Hortons out there was one of the greatest, and also most humbling experiences of my life. I was never out on the front lines, but when the boys and girls who were came back, I was there working diligently so that they could enjoy a taste of home a whole world away in a hostile environment. Believe me when I say there is no greater feeling of satisfaction knowing you made a deployment just that much easier. I was given two hats the first day I got off the Herc and onto the base. I wore one during my duties, and kept one safe. This auction is for the one not worn during my deployment, pictured above. Condition is excellent, no rips or tears or discoloration anywhere. I will always cherish my own cap, as well as the memories that come with it. I would like to extend an opportunity for someone else to also own one of these historical items.

Thank you to the Canadian troops, you are my heroes.

And to think they were giving these away on TF 3-06, I threw at least 20 of them away when nobody wanted the ghay looking things.

MG34 said:
And to think they were giving these away on TF 3-06, I threw at least 20 of them away when nobody wanted the ghay looking things.

Here I am searching all the threads that I can find on army.ca about these hats because I want to get one for my dad and I read you threw out 20 of them... :crybaby:  :eek:.

If anyone out there has any to get rid of pm me.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290656748630&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:CA:1123

$450 ... I think every single pers on our roto (the last of the rotos over there) got one. For free. We even packed up and shipped back to Canada some that were left over (wonder what they'll do with those ones). Rare ... Hmmmmmmmmmm.

vaneffen said:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290656748630&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:CA:1123
No need to multi-link - considered spam.  Once here is enough, thanks.

Milnet.ca Staff

600 days there and I never managed to win one.  Hang on....  forcing a tear....  eerrrg.  OK, I can't manage the tear, but it would have been a good souvenir. 

eurowing said:
600 days there and I never managed to win one.  Hang on....  forcing a tear....  eerrrg.  OK, I can't manage the tear, but it would have been a good souvenir.

Agreed, two trips there and my luck with the roll up the rim was just as good as here at home.  SFA.

I ended up winning 4...gave them all away, then I found out about the demand back in Canada and folks willing to pay big $$$$
Oh well..easy come easy go.

The prices I have seen them go for vary.  When they first came out I saw them going for upwards of 200, but as they became more common they were selling for about 50ish ebay.

A few years ago MarwayMilitary here in Winnipeg had a few of them, only $20

Several versions of the Timmies hat exist.  The original version is the rare one.  Tim Hortons had to act quickly to
acquire hats for their staff and as promo items, so they bought blank hats from an Asian supplier and had them embroidered in Canada.  The original version had a chocolate - chip-ish  camo pattern as illustrated:
2007_th_kaf.jpg

The subsequent versions use the greenish digital type camo pattern seen in the ebay link.  Combat Camera has a number of photographs showing the original version in wear at the Timmies opening in KAF.

Interesting to note that some people would buy 4 sleeves of cups.  No coffee, just the cups.  Must have missed their scratch tickets.

I won one of the 'chocolate chip' ones, ended up giving it to my brother when I got home. He usually gets asked about it whenever he wears it.

Hey everyone I am wondering if anyone knows where I can find the Tim Hortons kandahar hat? I know it's hard to find I've heard, My friends dad was able to get his hand on one of these when he was overseas. Went to my friends house and saw it and now want one. If anyone could let me know if there is some still on the web or anywhere, I am willing to buy.

Thanks  :)

The only ones I've ever seen that were actual Tim Hortons ones, were won in Kandahar as part of their Roll-up-the-rim contests. (And no, you can't have mine, that thing took forever buying coffee to get!)  :p

Try Ebay. They were given for RUTR or worn by employees.

They pop up every so often.

Back