• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons in Theatre Merged Thread (in AFG, no plans to preposition)

From the navy point of view there is nothing like a Tim's after a long trip away.  A four hour fuel stop in St Johns  brings on a lot of Timmi es.  I can well imagine how thank full the soldiers are coming back on base and being able to grab a Tims.  Bravo Zolo to all involved in getting it to them.

I have a good friend who served at Timmies in Afghanistan as well.  Her husband is a soldier too and she wanted the experience.  She loved it!  I have a great amount of respect for our civvies who go and serve overseas.  Every bit counts and helps.

BZ to the staff of Timmies at KAF and all those Timmies near our military bases everywhere.

BZ to Jennifer Jones for her great article.  Should be required reading by everyone NOT in the military

Great writing.  Not only does it give the human factor to our troops and allies there, it also gives the human factor to these people that put thier lifes on the line so our brave troops can have a little bit of the home comfort.

I agree geo except think you should have stopped at "by everyone" - in or out of the military this would be good for all to read.

I only had the opportunity to grab a timmies 4 times throughout my tour and it was always a huge morale boost, regardless if it was +50C that coffee went down like ice cold water after a long patrol.

Glad y'all appreciate it - hopefully as much as I love working there  (even if you might end up with the bottom half of a cinamon raison baeel and the top half of an everything - oops (my first day).

The looks on people's faces as they get their double doubles (30 of them sometimes!) is great - and its always fun to "play" with those who are new to Tim Hortons. Evertying she said in the article was true - although the Americans seem to like black or hot chocolate and you can't forget the dutch and their French Vanillas and rasbery donuts. And the brits who get me to wrap each donut so they can bring it home to the UK

Its non stop, but I love it :)

And the hat goes for 5k (apparently somebody offered a girl that).

- Mich
(works at Timmies right now).

Catalyst said:
Glad y'all appreciate it - hopefully as much as I love working there  (even if you might end up with the bottom half of a cinamon raison baeel and the top half of an everything - oops (my first day).

The looks on people's faces as they get their double doubles (30 of them sometimes!) is great - and its always fun to "play" with those who are new to Tim Hortons. Evertying she said in the article was true - although the Americans seem to like black or hot chocolate and you can't forget the dutch and their French Vanillas and rasbery donuts. And the brits who get me to wrap each donut so they can bring it home to the UK

Its non stop, but I love it :)

And the hat goes for 5k (apparently somebody offered a girl that).

- Mich
(works at Timmies right now).
Hi Mich!  I'll be by tomorrow!  2 Double Doubles, please.  Probably around 7:30 or shortly thereafter.  And no, I won't need a cap!  I'll let you know by saying "I ordered by internet last night!"  LOL

(thank you for working here for us)
MR

Bumped to mention the coming demise of the chain's SW Asian outlet....
After five years of serving 2.5 million customers from more than 37 different nationalities, the Tim Hortons outlet at the Canadian Forces operations base in Kandahar, Afghanistan will be closing at the end of this month, as most Canadian troops withdraw from Kandahar.

"It has been an absolute privilege and honour for Tim Hortons to be associated with the military and bring a little taste of home to the brave Canadian soldiers serving overseas," said Paul House, Executive Chairman, President and CEO, Tim Hortons. "We are flattered that so many troops from different nations also made Tim Hortons a part of their everyday routine."

Since opening on Canada Day in 2006, the Kandahar Tim Hortons served four million cups of coffee, three million donuts and half a million iced cappuccinos and bagels.  More than 300 sea containers of Tim Hortons products were shipped over five years to Kandahar from Kingston, ON.

Kandahar soldiers were also able to take part in Tim Hortons' annual Roll Up the Rim To Win contest when a special version of the popular giveaway was introduced to this location in 2007. Since then, Tim Hortons gave away more than 46,000 food prizes plus Tim Cards, cash prizes and other items such as laptops, cameras, GPS, backpacks and the much-coveted Tim Hortons camouflage hats.

More than 230 Canadians made the trip overseas to work at the Kandahar Tim Hortons, supporting approximately 30,000 deployed Canadian Forces members over 11 rotations.

(....)

Tim Hortons' last day of operations in Kandahar will be November 29th ....
Company news release, 24 Nov 11

More from QMI/Sun Media, Reuters, the Globe & Mail, Postmedia News, CBC.ca and the Toronto Star.

Be a lot of sad faces when that closes for the last time.  At least for those folks who will be there in KAF they'll still have the NAFFI for good coffee.  Loved that NAFFI...

"Now that our Forces are officially out of Afghanistan (let us not forget those remaining in Kabul in a non-combat training role until 2014); and the fact that Tim Horton’s Kandahar has packed up their Tim Bits to come back home, our programme will be taking on a new way of supporting our troops being deployed all over the world!  Stay tuned!!!":
http://shareacup.ca/welcome/

I still remember rolling in to get an Iced Cappuccino covered in dust and tasting that sweet sugary coldness... good times.

When I was last in KAF, earlier this year, there was talk of opening Tim's in Kabul. I think they had even interviewed people for the jobs. Anyone know anything about this?

signalsguy said:
When I was last in KAF, earlier this year, there was talk of opening Tim's in Kabul. I think they had even interviewed people for the jobs. Anyone know anything about this?

Maybe they will open one up there, but it won't be done with the assets from here ... We are down to coffee only left (the Americans, Brits and UAE hate that there's no donuts/cookies left; we had them addicted too); most of the assets have been marked for sale or disposal via destruction and they are all pre-processed - we've got bar code labels all over everything!

Timmies will close on 30 November as per (and right on) schedule.

Crap!! And today, I am at single digits!! 9 and a wakey ...  ;D

ArmyVern said:
Crap!! And today, I am at single digits!! 9 and a wakey caution ...  ;D

There, fixed that for you ;D

(Congrats!!!!!)

Any bets on a global explosion of Timmies franchises in England, Romania, the Netherlands, Denmark, Australia....

Conservative MP Leon Benoit (Vegreville-Wainwright) says "buh-bye" to Tim's in Kandahar in the House of Comons
Mr. Speaker, a piece of home for Canadians serving in Afghanistan is now coming home. The Tim Hortons outlet at Kandahar airfield is closing after boosting soldiers' spirits for over five years. Civilian personnel hired by the Canadian Forces poured over four million coffees and half a million iced capps and served over three million doughnuts. Many of these civilians did multiple tours in Afghanistan. The Tim Hortons on base provided a meeting place for soldiers from all nations. It was a place to sip on some coffee and have some good conversation. For many, it was a home away from home. How many Canadians know this: all the proceeds from the Kandahar Tim Hortons went to support our troops and their families. We salute and thank Tim Hortons for its support of our men and women in uniform. We salute and thank the civilian personnel whose commitment made life a little easier for those for serve. We salute and thank our brave men and women of the Canadian Forces who answer the call to duty each and every day.

Thucydides said:
Any bets on a global explosion of Timmies franchises in England, Romania, the Netherlands, Denmark, Australia....
Already one in Fort Knox, KY
http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/about/2874.html

signalsguy said:
If the CBC got it right when talking to Tim Hortons officials, a reporter paraphrased the coffee chain on a report this morning saying they'd consider setting up a Kabul location if asked.  Let the tea leaf reading begin....

Ahhhh, Timmies. I have my 0600hrs coffee in my hands right now ... and shall attempt to be the near the end of the line tonight when it shuts it's doors for good.

I was successful in my attempts last night to purchase the last pack of "my type" of Canadian smokes in the store. It's the little things in life ...  ;D

Tim's appears to be following Canadian bases and/or Canadian oil work....
Tim Hortons, Canada’s largest restaurant chain, may open outlets in military bases under a plan to roll out 120 stores in the GCC (Gulf Co-operation Council) over the next five years, the company’s chairman said Tuesday.

Canada opened a military base in Kuwait in September, almost a year after the country’s supply post in the UAE was closed following a diplomatic spat between the two nations.

“We have a great relationship with the armed forces and we have a lot of outlets in their bases,” said Paul House, executive chairman of Tim Hortons.  “It depends on how many troops there are (in Kuwait). But we would be open to wherever [Canadian troops] have a campaign.”

Tim Hortons, which operates more than 3,600 stores in Canada and the US, kicked off its Gulf expansion spree with the launch of its first regional store in Dubai in September. The restaurant chain will open four further outlets in the emirate this week, with local franchisee Apparel Group, before spanning out across the GCC ....
arabianbusiness.com, 7 Dec 11

Canada "opened" a base in Kuwait?  I thought we were just using part of a U.S. base.  ???

Back