• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Tim Hortons in Theatre Merged Thread (in AFG, no plans to preposition)

• Thread starter Thread starter JP
  • Start date Start date
Towards_the_gap said:
Did you notice they never seemed to crowd out the gym?

That's because they were too busy building their still and stealing plums and peaches from the DFAC....

Draw your own conclusions.    ;)

Regards

L&O
Yes they do but remember that all the little food trailers deal in USD so send enough Canadian Timmies bucks to cover the exchange

After the Romanian Air Force Day show they can hang out in Canada House anytime.  :salute: :salute: They know how to do a CANCON show, let me tell you, and they even brought the performers around to visit the Canadian TOC. 

Meanwhile, I don't care about the doughnuts as long as the coffee keeps coming.  Two weeks of making coffee by leaving a bottle of water on the front of the vehicle and then adding instant makes you appreciate a double double (I had three today :o).

Cheers!

2B

Slinging java for our boys
By CHRIS KITCHING, STAFF REPORTER
http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/2006/09/27/1905021-sun.html

Winnipegger joins Tim's in Kandahar

A Winnipegger is travelling to Afghanistan today on an important mission -- to make sure Canadian troops get their double-doubles and doughnuts.

Matthew Podolas, 22, will be serving up a taste of home when he takes his six-month post at Tim Hortons' coffee shop at Kandahar Air Field.

"It's my way of supporting the troops. I look up to them and they represent Canada quite well over there," Podolas said yesterday. "Joining the military isn't for everybody but everybody can help out. It doesn't matter what capacity, everything is appreciated."

Podolas said he isn't worried about his safety in a conflict zone where NATO troops and insurgents are involved in fierce battles.

Just yesterday, a Taliban suicide bomber killed 18 people outside a provincial governor's compound in Lashkar Gah, Afghanistan.

AIR-CONDITIONED TENT

Podolas will be staying in an eight-person, air-conditioned tent and is not allowed to leave the base, which has come under attack in the past.

"We're having to tie lead weights to his ankles to keep him on the ground because he's so excited," said his dad, Gordon Podolas. "I'm proud of him."

Java junkies from Canada and other nations line up daily at the transplanted Tim's, a 12-metre trailer with takeout windows.

The store is smaller in size but serves most of the hot and cold beverages and baked goods homesick troops could buy at home.

The Canadian Forces Personnel Support Agency oversees the shop and the 15 civilians who work there.

HAZARD PAY

Employees earn an annual salary of $30,000 plus hazard pay, Podolos said. The military pays for their food and accommodation.

Podolas's decision to go overseas was spurred by the service of his 28-year-old brother, Master Cpl. Mike Podolas, who is based in Edmonton and recently completed his second tour of Afghanistan.

"Obviously it won't be the same thing, but I want to experience what he experienced," said Podolas, who recently learned about roadside bombs, mortar attacks and the country's culture during training at CFB Kingston in Ontario.

But the hardest part of the job, he said, is being away from family and his girlfriend of three years.

"She supports me but, of course, it will be hard to be away from her for six months," said Podolas, who works at Canad Inns Polo Park. "I'll miss her."

For more information about the ways civilians can support Canadian soldiers visit www.cfpsa.com/supportourtroops.
End

Recce By Death said:
Not only that but you can't bar any other contingent's troops from buying from them. If you did that, the ramifications could be far reaching....read PX, Buger King, Pizza Hut etc.

It's a nicety, but come on. Are the troops out in the FOBs getting it on a regular basis?

Doesn't Pizza Hut deliver?

;)

doughnuts,.... as much as I love a good doughnut (being an ex-mortarman) theres the reason the Brits call us the World's fattest army.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
I've heard he fancies himself the ladies man.  Pops must be proud either way.

Pops is proud, and as for what he fancies....if it works....some woman has him instead of me  ;D

Teflon said:
doughnuts,.... as much as I love a good doughnut (being an ex-mortarman) theres the reason the Brits call us the World's fattest army.

nope, don't think so...... lots and lots of other forces contending for that "honour".

geo said:
nope, don't think so...... lots and lots of other forces contending for that "honour".

Take a good look around your base (and remove the welding goggles or whatever is hampering your vision)

We are very strong contenders for that dishonor

Oh.... I know they're there. we have some alright..... but "the world's fattest"..... nope, don't think so.

I agree 100% with Teflon, It's sad when fit eager troops are the exception rather then the rule and that's where were going.

Not that I blame Timmies in KAF, sure was nice to have my double/double when you get back from a FOB

Not that I blame Timmies in KAF, sure was nice to have my double/double when you get back from a FOB!

I hear ya! i agree with Teflon also..... remember they ran out of doughnuts there! who eats doughnuts in  60 degree heat? ahhhh yes the bigger ones and thats what the Brits were talking about.

Teflon said:

Hmm, all the ones I met looked and acted like starved rats! We had a bunch with us, you would think they had died and gone to heaven when our flying kitchen served lunch, they were staggered by the food we got and dam near fainted when I told them they could go for 2nds!! We also let them eat from our grub box where we had a huge tub of peanut butter, I never knew you could get 3" of peanut butter between 2 slices of bread  :o

It is true fellers, you blokes are spoiled for food compared to the rest of us. I was in heaven in the mess in Petawawa, imagine being able to have "Poutine" AND a HUGE burger! Back here you dont often get the fatty foods or big helpings that you fellers get.
I saw some people (especially one wearing a tan beret! Had to be a clerk!) who shouldnt be wearing a bus drivers uniform, let alone a uniform of the Canadian forces. No respect but from the perspective of somone from overseas i saw more fat people in the CF then i would back home i reckon.

Tim Hortons is brilliant by the way and the doughnuts there were amazing, i'd never seen that sort of variety!

Hale.... I agree with ya.
Lots of choices - but it is left to the individuals to control what they eat
The CF has tried to be proactive. Charging memebrs for their rations... you pay for what you use but, in the end, it's up to the individual.

With respect to poutine, it's great to have once in a while (+/- 1 per month) but, if you go for it every other day... it's a problem IMHO

geo said:
With respect to poutine, it's great to have once in a while (+/- 1 per month) but, if you go for it every other day... it's a problem IMHO

Oh man, I had poutine for the first time since highschool(3 years ago) on the weekend. It was so good, and I felt like crap for about 6 hours after. The mess' have tons of variety, some good, some bad. It is all on personal choices. Like geo said, the military gives you the choice, it is the indivuals decision to make.

Back