• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!

Journeyman said:
Rule of Nines, seen here

rule_of-nines.jpg

This is the rule of Nine that I would prefer to assimilate.

seven-of-nine.jpg

daftandbarmy said:
And when I was at 13,000ft (briefly) I smelled the sulphur from the active vents up there through the blizzrd thinkihng at the time, of course, that the guy ahead of me on the rope had let a good SBD fly!

And, of course, someone was killed by an avalanche on exactly the same part of the mountain I was on. No wonder it's called 'Disapointment Cleaver'. I credit my lucky sock combination with my survival. Oh, and some good decisions by the guides... that too I guess

Camp Muir climbers were warned
AVALANCHE AT RAINIER: Weather delays search for missing Olympia man

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/06/08/1217630/camp-muir-climbers-were-warned.html

This is the avalanche slide path on a portion of the Ingraham Glacier called Ingraham Direct where 11 climbers were caught. One is presumed dead.

The other soloist in the group, is a skier. His video is here:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Avalanche-Survivor-Shares-Home-Video-of-Aftermath-95750639.html

daftandbarmy said:
Back on topic: just got issued the Goretex rain gear. Awesome.

Just got mine few months ago... best thing ever. Now if it ever rains...  ;D

The new CCR is a decent piece of kit.  What I find the worst about it is wearing it and people asking me "how I got the new Army raingear"...which leads into the "its the new CCR that all green and blue types are getting..." ramble...only to have them say "ya but thats the army stuff though".

:brickwall:

Recon 3690 said:
M2 50 cal & lots of ammo and of course a track to mount it on

I prefer the tripod with the T & E mechanism.  Agree with the loads of ammo! :nod:

OK, I've given the new ruck a bit of a cabby and I have to say it seems OK.

It certainly seems a little too big, and I'm a 'big bergen' fan from way back, but overall I thought it was OK especially after I removed the support rods from the sleeves.

I'd give it a solid 7/10.

How does removing the support rods affect the rucksack and how it feels on your back?

Grimaldus said:
How does removing the support rods affect the rucksack and how it feels on your back?

I tried it with the rods in, and it was absurdly rigid to the point where I couldn't walk normally (well, as normally as I ever do that is). I took the rods out and it felt like your average internal frame pack.

Glass half full? They make excellent pointers for your orders session or, in a pinch, a decent camel whip.

Personally I found the rods way to damaging to my shoulders, so I took them out as well.

C1 Protractor - not only did I get my hands on one of those bad boys, but I know how to use one too! (or at least I hope I can remember how to use one, it's been a couple years). Sure, I was only a cadet but still... I cherished those things.

The waffle-knit field scarf, what a wonderful thing. Not only did it keep you toasty warm when it's kilometres of fabric were wrapped around you, but it could quickly be deployed into a field pillow and etc.

Bivy bag is awesome, I've used it more times at home than I ever did in the field thanks to superior built te.... Actually, our tents sucked and I refused to sleep under anything that wasn't a hoochie tarp or in my bivy bag (the only thing's you could truly rely on to keep you dry and some what warm and sheltered).

cup, canteen handed down to me from my father was a life saver on many a frigid exercise up at Camp Howard, sipping on IMP coffee (not the best but it did the trick) or minestrone soup.

Coleman two burner stoves were great, but if I could marry an inanimate object it would be the collapsable single burner stove that fit neatly into a "C9" pouch (oh no! a cadet with a C9 pouch!  ::) ). I would sit down and cook some Campbells soup or beef ravioli... mmm... yummy.

Another vote of confidence in the good old 2 burner Coleman stove....

I have one, but lost track of it for a couple of years. During a recent massive cleanup operation in my yard it turned up, half buried underneath some junk. I can only guess that my wife saw the rusty exterior and assumed, incorrectly, that it was a piece of garbage.

I decided to see if it still worked and - lo and behold - fired it up right then and there. It worked great despite being left to the elements outside for a couple of years.

I can only hope that I hold up that well in the future :)

1970's era AFV cold weather crew suit. Loved mine. Do they still issue them or anything like it?

682_1485974503596.jpg

vp-62.jpg

The jacket worked great inside the track and the coveralls together with the winter parka kept you cozy in a snow bank OP for hours.

:cheers:

The RCAF Advanced Crew Ensemble 2 piece winter flying kit is very similar, with really nice zipper system on the pants to get them on/off quickly with boots on, bib overall just like the EICS (spelling) stuff the Army gets.

I loved my old AFV jacket too. 

I have a Coleman 2 burner stove too and love it.  strip it down every spring, clean it, paint it if it needs it.  The newer replacement plungers are rubber or something and 'throw away'.  I'd prefer to use the leather type in the cold but...can't find them.

I’ll agree with D & B about the two burner Coleman. I like canteen cup with the little stove. It got me through 6B.

Eye In The Sky said:
I have a Coleman 2 burner stove too and love it.  strip it down every spring, clean it, paint it if it needs it.  The newer replacement plungers are rubber or something and 'throw away'.  I'd prefer to use the leather type in the cold but...can't find them.

Amazon is your friend :)

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Lantern-Stove-Leather-Washer/dp/B00CEMBTCK

Thanks...the problem is, my stove came with the pump/plunger like this one...so, I just bought the replacement kit.  Seems like a waste when it was just the rubber plunger that was worn out.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-pump-repair-kit-0762336p.html

EITS, you can purchase just the leather to retrofit the newer style plunger cap, http://www.canadiantire.ca/en//pdp/coleman-replacement-pump-cup-back-up-plate-0762335p.html or product number #076-2335-2 at Canadian Tire. I bring these sets out to the field with me to retrofit my section's stove and lantern because leather rarely if ever fails whereas the rubber dries out all the time, all you need is some pump cup oil and you have a reliable system down to the extreme cold.

Funnily enough, MSR sells a cold weather pump which includes a leather pump cup. Sometime the old solutions are the best ones.

Back