• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remius said:
My guess is that they won't touch this.  I suspect though that they would support any province that would try and create their own though or at least would not impede them.

For now I'll treat this issue the same way I treated the Netflix Tax.

Rent a US post office box and use a VPN?

In case anyone wanted to now where the liberals stand on the registry

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/guns/

We will take action to get handguns and assault weapons off our streets.

Over the last decade, Stephen Harper has steadily weakened our gun laws in ways that make Canadians more vulnerable and communities more dangerous.

We will take pragmatic action to make it harder for criminals to get, and use, handguns and assault weapons. We will:
•repeal changes made by Bill C-42 that allow restricted and prohibited weapons to be freely transported without a permit, and we will put decision-making about weapons restrictions back in the hands of police, not politicians;
•provide $100 million each year to the provinces and territories to support guns and gangs police task forces to take illegal guns off our streets and reduce gang violence;
•modify the membership of the Canadian Firearms Advisory Committee to include knowledgeable law enforcement officers, public health advocates, representatives from women’s groups, and members of the legal community;
•require enhanced background checks for anyone seeking to purchase a handgun or other restricted firearm;
•require purchasers of firearms to show a license when they buy a gun, and require all sellers of firearms to confirm that the license is valid before completing the sale;
•require firearms vendors to keep records of all firearms inventory and sales to assist police in investigating firearms trafficking and other gun crimes;
•immediately implement the imported gun marking regulations that have been repeatedly delayed by Stephen Harper; and
•as part of our investment in border infrastructure, invest in technologies to enhance our border guards’ ability to detect and halt illegal guns from the United States entering into Canada.

We will not create a new national long-gun registry to replace the one that has been dismantled.

We will ensure that Canada becomes a party to the international Arms Trade Treaty.

My concern is the vendors keeping records to assist law enforcement...while not a federal registry, sounds a lot like a form of registry.  I guess one could argue that it isn't the firearms owner's responsibilty.

Next time I head to the range I'll call the CFO and let them know I'm on my way, but that Trudeau said I don't require a permit. Want to take bets on how far I make it?

cld617 said:
Next time I head to the range I'll call the CFO and let them know I'm on my way, but that Trudeau said I don't require a permit. Want to take bets on how far I make it?

Until said otherwise, my ATT (permit) was attached to my PAL by PM Harper. Until that permit is revoked and I have to ask Wyatt for a piece of paper, I'm ignoring it all.

Other than the international marking shit, noting stated has changed.

Allowing the RCMP and CFOs to make up their own laws has always been the status quo.

That, and that fat cow Cukier is back on the public teat and will, in all likelihood, be part of that committee. A committee that will likely have one or two pro gun orgs that will be out voted every time by the paranoid police and women's advocates.

It is seriously time, and all members of different orgs should agree, for all of our pro gun orgs to gather under a single name and organization, like the  NRA, and become a voting block that politicians HAVE to reckon with or lose key ridings and elections.

We're fragmented and dying at the whim of the anti gun mob. We need to get back in the driver seat.

recceguy said:
Until said otherwise, my ATT (permit) was attached to my PAL by PM Harper. Until that permit is revoked and I have to ask Wyatt for a piece of paper, I'm ignoring it all.

Other than the international marking crap, noting stated has changed.

Allowing the RCMP and CFOs to make up their own laws has always been the status quo.

That, and that fat cow Cukier is back on the public teat and will, in all likelihood, be part of that committee. A committee that will likely have one or two pro gun orgs that will be out voted every time by the paranoid police and women's advocates.

It is seriously time, and all members of different orgs should agree, for all of our pro gun orgs to gather under a single name and organization, like the  NRA, and become a voting block that politicians HAVE to reckon with or lose key ridings and elections.

We're fragmented and dying at the whim of the anti gun mob. We need to get back in the driver seat.

I'm getting seriously tired of reading all of the NFA, CSSA BS drama on CGN.  We would be doing ourselves a great service if we could actually get a proper lobbying organization to support us.

Humphrey Bogart said:
I'm getting seriously tired of reading all of the NFA, CSSA BS drama on CGN.  We would be doing ourselves a great service if we could actually get a proper lobbying organization to support us.

Exactly what I'm saying. The petty infighting and executive partisanship between the orgs has to stop. The members of these organizations are the stock holders. We should demand that our executive open negotiations with the other groups for ONE national organization.

We're splintered, we're not a force to be reckoned with. We have no sway with government.

One organization, with a full bank account, to hire lobbyists, to change votes in different ridings, to make politicians say "Oh, oh. Don't piss them off or you'll be out of a job. That's what will work.

The NRA stateside has numerous (thousands) of LEO in their membership. We have to change the culture of our politicians, CFOs, etc, that we are not the enemy. We have to have commercials on TV proving GUNS are not the cause, PEOPLE are. Get the public onboard, with educational vignettes and public announcements and the politicians will follow.

Write to whatever organization you belong to and DEMAND that they look at ways to combine and form ONE all encompassing, legal, knowledgeable and gutsy group, that has lawyers and lobbyists willing to take on the peddlers of mistruths and deceptive politics within our government and civilian population.

We keep fragmenting ourselves and losing our voice and power. It's time to lock and load. Otherwise, you'll be only allowed (maybe) to own one .22 cal bolt action, one .30 cal bolt action and one single shot shotgun.

You only have to look at Britain and Australia to see our future.  Poly Tech is in the (far) past. Time to move on.

Cold, dead hands.

In my opinion an NRA like organization in Canada would go nowhere. And, when a potential member calls a woman 'a fat cow' I believe informed debate may be an issue...

RocketRichard said:
In my opinion an NRA like organization in Canada would go nowhere. And, when a potential member calls a woman 'a fat cow' I believe informed debate may be an issue...

Well pretty sensitive, aren't we?

Numbers are important. Unity of purpose is paramount. Recceguy is correct. What we have been doing is not working. We are down to our last line of defence.

Fence sitters are a bigger problem than the wacko ainti gun lobbyists.

Not sensitive at all. Name calling and misogynistic  comments on a public forum where the ethos of the Canadian military should be heeded is not on.

RocketRichard said:
Not sensitive at all. Name calling and misogynistic  comments on a public forum where the ethos of the Canadian military should be heeded is not on.

Well I agree that name calling is 'not on' it is an inevitable by product of human interaction. Unless you are JC himself, I doubt anybody could live up to a 'no tolerance' approach to name calling especially when our politically correct environment gets to change up the dictonary on the leftist spectrum's whim.

After all, one can only take it so long when you are called a 'baby killer' or 'phsyco' or a 'racist' for basically stating facts or pointing out an opposing point of view.

Site guidelines state personal attacks and sexist comments 'are not on'. Will cite them when I have time.

Ok 'PocketRocket' you made your point.  ;D How about we stick to the thread subject ?

I disagree on having one gun organization for a variety of reason. I do agree on having a good degree of coordination and communication between them. Why more is better:

1. Numbers (people can belong to more than one, helping us in the numbers game)
2. Personalities- Personal conflicts at the political, committee and media level can create a toxic relationship making any progress impossible, at which point the other group can approach from a different angle and carry the ball forward.
3. Regional issues and politics- A western based group is already at a disadvantage going to a Quebec based politician, a centrally based org can appeal to the political costs and benefits using regional information and issues. Also this helps with the memberships as people can feel that org X is more sensitive to local issues.
4. Volunteer burnout- Every volunteer group goes through cycles, generally on a 7 year rotation, both of the main groups are buoyed by a distinct group of people, as one group (such as the NFA has) goes through it's periodic upheaval, the other group can carry the ball. It also almost doubles the people carrying out roles and responsibilities.

Some of the good thing that are happening is a industry group was formed a couple of years ago, that allows the Canadian Firearms owners to sit down and talk about issues. Also they talk about how the CFO's play games and allows for a more informed and effective industry. Other good things is that the firearm retailers are using novel ways to help fund the gun orgs, including $1-5 dollar coupons, I know for a fact this has helped raise a considerable amount of money from firearm owners.

I have belonged to both the NFA and CSSA, I have met many times the key people and listened to their approach. Yes they can do better and as i said, they need to compare notes quietly and understand how to use their different priorities and approaches to best effect.       

That approach makes sense also Colin.

Whatever we do though, we better get at it. The Liberals are not going to wait.

To that end, the government will introduce legislation that will provide greater support for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault; that will get handguns and assault weapons off our streets; and that will legalize, regulate and restrict access to marijuana.

This is a quote from the 2015 throne speech. What are we to make of the bit about getting "handguns and assault weapons off of the street"?

I note that the word "illegal" is completely missing...

SeaKingTacco said:
This is a quote from the 2015 throne speech. What are we to make of the bit about getting "handguns and assault weapons off of the street"?

I note that the word "illegal" is completely missing...

I read that too.  I dont want to be chicken little but it sort of feels like semi-auto and sidearms are about to go the way of the do-do bird...

Seeing as the general public and the government cannot separate a semi-auto from an "assault rifle", what ever that is.

I intend on writing a letter to the public safety minister, both asking for clarification and remind the government that legal gun owners are not the problem.

SeaKingTacco said:
I intend on writing a letter to the public safety minister, both asking for clarification and remind the government that legal gun owners are not the problem.

Good luck with that. Total fear mongering has gripped those of a Liberal mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back