• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Approximately 10% of Canadians have firearms. Don't forget that there is many homes where only one person is licensed but there is still firearms present, so even being relatively conservative at least 15-20% of Canadians live in a dwelling which firearms are located. That doesn't mean everyone in that household is pro-firearms (I have heard of cases of widows not even waiting for the husbands body to be cold to run the firearms off to the police station as they want them gone), but it does mean that there is a ton of exposure amongst many Canadians specifically of the more rural sort.

Firearms owners are not united in any way. Many would sell out the guy next to them if they thought it would save themselves. Not to mention there is many who look down on different types of firearms. Classic example would be the hunter with only one or two guns specifically for hunting who doesn't believe people should own pistols or anything semi-automatic. That classic example is the biggest threat to most firearms owners as they can put those people on the news and say 'look these people don't need those firearms, this guy owns guns and agrees!'. Because as we all know hunting is the only justifiable reason for owning a firearm.

Because as we all know hunting is the only justifiable reason for owning a firearm.
Is it really? The only thing you hunt for is meat. You can more easily and safely head down to you local grocer and buy your meat, which some folks think was humanely grown from scratch in that Styrofoam tray.

Is it really? The only thing you hunt for is meat. You can more easily and safely head down to you local grocer and buy your meat, which some folks think was humanely grown from scratch in that Styrofoam tray.

I want to preface this by saying I support all lawful use of firearms. Be it hunting, sport shooting or otherwise. Do it safely, legally and have fun.

But hunting is the key, Its the facet most non gun Canadians can get behind, as a reason to own firearms. We can debate the guns needed to hunt, that's not my point. Hunting needs to leveraged to keep our foot in the door.

The problem is the pure hunters and pure sport shooters don't support each other. The Fudds and LARPers...

I do think this is changing somewhat now. With the liberals twice directly (mistakenly) listing hunting firearms on the banned list.

I want to preface this by saying I support all lawful use of firearms. Be it hunting, sport shooting or otherwise. Do it safely, legally and have fun.

But hunting is the key, Its the facet most non gun Canadians can get behind, as a reason to own firearms. We can debate the guns needed to hunt, that's not my point. Hunting needs to leveraged to keep our foot in the door.

The problem is the pure hunters and pure sport shooters don't support each other. The Fudds and LARPers...

I do think this is changing somewhat now. With the liberals twice directly (mistakenly) listing hunting firearms on the banned list.
this is where the liberals screwed up banning duck hunting shotguns that even city dwellers from Toronto knew that uncle Bob used

I think there was sarcasm in the previous post…
Maybe so. But I have seen statements from a certain anti-gun doctor that the days of the pioneer lifestyle are gone and hunting has past it's prime as a food source in a civilized society and should no longer be tolerated. This is a rural doctor, as well, who has testified before the Senate in favour of a total gun ban.

A little sarcasm there.

Self defense, target shooting, hunting, collecting, just because you just want to, all valid reasons to own firearms. The whole justifying requirement shouldn’t be a thing in a free and democratic society.

Maybe so. But I have seen statements from a certain anti-gun doctor that the days of the pioneer lifestyle are gone and hunting has past it's prime as a food source in a civilized society and should no longer be tolerated. This is a rural doctor, as well, who has testified before the Senate in favour of a total gun ban.
AND he is an expert in his own area. Like the doctors who advocate "release the inmates cause they will all die of COVID".

Thank you for your input doctors. Stay in your lanes doctor - like we get told.

Can you link to that ?

Is this like an ignorance thing? Like is it an ivory tower thing? I would suggest a good
Portion of my diet is venison…shot and killed by hunting. 🤔

Nobody has rejected that either. I guess he wants me to eat more lucky charms and noodles as a “doctor”
With the urbanization of Canada many people have lost touch with life outside of a city. Some city people hunt, but they tend to be people who moved to the city from rural areas.

There are also plenty of city people watching too much red-neck reality TV shows like Duck Dynasty, moving to the country and thinking they can do all the stuff they see on TV.

It’s a thing.

🤦‍♂️

With the urbanization of Canada many people have lost touch with life outside of a city. Some city people hunt, but they tend to be people who moved to the city from rural areas.
Remember, too, that the Canadian MSM pretty much ignores the shooting sports until something goes wrong.

Some?

I once spoke to a rabid anti-gunner at a craft market my wife was working at. (He didn't like my gun club hat.)

Invasive species and predator control are the responsibility of game wardens/conservation officers not property owners, I was told. He also believed that hunting was archaic and barbaric. So, I asked him if the game wardens would be better equipped, more effective and numerous once the revenues from hunting licences and game tags was eliminated. He had no idea you needed a licence to hunt and to own a gun.

Back