• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

an update on the court challenge

interesting timing, I wonder how advanced the buyback plan is.

an update on the court challenge

interesting timing, I wonder how advanced the buyback plan is.

“The court case should not delay the enactment of the mandatory buyback that has been promised by the Liberals, nor any other gun-control measure, for that matter,” Rathjen said in reaction to the court schedule.

Heaven forbid due process be allowed :rolleyes:
Apparently Rights only apply to people who think like her.

I'm not counting on the court case at all, but it's only 8 months away. Where's the plan? Where's the money? What happens when the date passes?The number of actual semi-automatics out there has to be huge

Not sure what mandatory buyback is supposed to be. There is confiscation, and there is expropriation. Should be referred to properly as whichever one it is, rather than using euphemisms.

Where's the plan? Where's the money? What happens when the date passes?
Easy.
"Without a majority government" (read: bullshit excuse) the Liberal party can't put together a plan so the deadline will be extended again. Liberals don't have to worry about paying a billion dollars out and our guns sit and collect rust.

Easy.
"Without a majority government" (read: bullshit excuse) the Liberal party can't put together a plan so the deadline will be extended again. Liberals don't have to worry about paying a billion dollars out and our guns sit and collect rust.
Or, they can claim that the fiscal realities no longer support compendation and go straight for confiscation. Trudeau is used to having his way and this is a major plank in his campaign.

Not sure what mandatory buyback is supposed to be. There is confiscation, and there is expropriation. Should be referred to properly as whichever one it is, rather than using euphemisms.
The buyback plan, which Trudeau campaigned on costing at least $800 M, is supposed to pay owners of now-banned but previously legally owned firearms "fair market value" for thier guns or pay for permanent deactivation for those who choose to keep them as wall hangers. The original pre-election estimate of the "compensated confiscation (TM)" was $200 M, but a report by the PBO pegged the cost at closer to $785 M, a figure the Liberals disputed before the writs dropped.

I know; it's expropriation. The point is that calling it "mandatory buyback" makes it sound nicer. The people who will be the victims of it should stop going along with that.

I've seen comments elsewhere about a Jane and Finch amnesty bush.
Yup…I spent my early days living on Driftwood Ave, just SE of the Jane-Finch Mall. It has continually gotten more dangerous as the years/decades have passed…

I know; it's expropriation. The point is that calling it "mandatory buyback" makes it sound nicer. The people who will be the victims of it should stop going along with that.
I prefer to call it legal theft because the market value will be determined by a bureaucrat with an agenda.

I prefer the term "Compensated Confiscation"(TM). But, the recent announcement out of Québec is heartening in that the leaders in that province have realized and are focusing on where the problem really lies... and it's not gonna be found on shooting ranges or in gun clubs and hunting lodges.

In a very bold move yesterday in the home of anti-gun activism in Canada, the Québec government has allotted $90M to combat illegal guns, gangs and smuggling through the creation of a multijurisdictional task force of municipal and provincial police to work with the RCMP, CBSA and US DHS. Not a single mention of further restrictions on lawful gun ownership or licensed owners in that province.

Until the "usual suspects" start their letter writing campaigns and the focus is re-directed - with federal money - to fulfil the Trudeau Liberal's campaign promises of no legal guns in Canada.
Lots coming across the border out that way.

Lots coming across the border out that way.
Considering that there are only 6500 BSOs across Canada in all modes (air rail, marine, land border and inland), the RCMP patrol the border mostly as a secondary task and that just 5% of the maritime containers entering Canada actually get inspected, the chances of intercepting any contraband is remote. You can buy a handgun in Florida, smuggle it across the border and sell it in Toronto for a 1000% profit.

Considering that there are only 6500 BSOs across Canada in all modes (air rail, marine, land border and inland), the RCMP patrol the border mostly as a secondary task and that just 5% of the maritime containers entering Canada actually get inspected, the chances of intercepting any contraband is remote. You can buy a handgun in Florida, smuggle it across the border and sell it in Toronto for a 1000% profit.

Exactly. But my Enfields are a big issue

Sarcasm off

Exactly. But my Enfields are a big issue

Sarcasm off
The Liberal government can control your Enfields because you obey the law and that's easy. They cannot control the gang banger's Glocks because that's hard and doesn't provide the immediate results they need to buy votes from terrified urban dwellers. Québec seems to have figured that out and have decided to take the harder road less traveled. As I noted earlier, that's amazing in the home province of Polysesouvient and the Coalition for Gun Control, Canada's two largest anti-gun lobby groups dedicated to eradicating civilian ownership of firearms in Canada. Let's see how the Québec government follows through on it.

So what can I bring you ;)

Anyone buying a gun in the US needs to fill out a 4473 these days - so there is a record at the FFL (at the very least) of who bought the gun.
In Virginia there is also a State Police check - where the Manufacturer, Model, S/N are submitted to, and you need to wait for approval to transfer the gun (generally for most folks with a CHP it's 'cash and carry' - but a few times I've needed to wait a day or two - which always surprised me, as I have a State Concealed Handgun Permit - and carried a gun into the gun store to buy a new gun...)
**Technically not a registration list - but I strongly suspect the VSP does in fact retain those records.

The problem here is very little is done to folks who are straw purchasing guns for others - and laws on the books are not being followed.

Honestly I really don't understand the Anti-Gun mentality - maybe I am a realist and know that criminals don't care about the laws and thus will always have guns.

So what can I bring you ;)
I have a list of desired items but the wife says "no more guns until the Liberals are gone". So, no more guns ever, it seems.
Anyone legally buying a gun in the US needs to fill out a 4473 these days - so there is a record at the FFL (at the very least) of who bought the gun.
FTFY :)
The problem here is very little is done to folks who are straw purchasing guns for others - and laws on the books are not being followed.
According to the Liberals, straw purchases are a huge problem in Canada, even though only one or two a year are prosecuted.
Honestly I really don't understand the Anti-Gun mentality - maybe I am a realist and know that criminals don't care about the laws and thus will always have guns.
My post above pretty much explains why the Liberals are frequently targeting their gun control efforts at legal firearms and licensed owners. In short, it's the low-hanging fruit.

This is just one of the many political or social issues where people prefer to look for keys under the lamppost because the light is better there. Throw in a large portion of culture war.

Yes I should have been clear -- same issue we have down here, the majority of "problem" guns are not legally owned.
Imagine that...

According to the Liberals, straw purchases are a huge problem in Canada, even though only one or two a year are prosecuted.
My post above pretty much explains why the Liberals are frequently targeting their gun control efforts at legal firearms and licensed owners. In short, it's the low-hanging fruit.
I don't see it as low hanging fruit - I see it as social re-engineering. Generally people who take guns away from a populace - want to do something to the populace that the populace would not willingly accept if they had guns.
See the PM's best buddy in China, or any other totalitarian regime for a solid example.

We have MANY laws and if the current laws aren't enforced the point to making new ones is?
One of the many reasons I have a zero tolerance policy on new gun laws.

Back