• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

So, were missile and rocket launchers previously accessible to Canadians?  I feel the munitions generally would have already been covered under the Explosives Act and both the missiles and the launchers themselves under the Defence Production Act, but maybe I am missing something here.

These ones were all rooty and icky. It could also shoot tennis balls, which were more expensive but way more fun.

MCG said:
So, were missile and rocket launchers previously accessible to Canadians?  I feel the munitions generally would have already been covered under the Explosives Act and both the missiles and the launchers themselves under the Defence Production Act, but maybe I am missing something here.

I believe so yes. I knew someone who brought an RPG (launcher, no war head) back from Afghanistan and was able to heep it. Like an M203, its legal to own and does not fall under being classified as a firearm.

Munitions are another story.

It does seem odd to permit ownership of a functioning TOW launcher regardless of whether munitions are lawful to possess.

On the other hand, they do seem to be banning weapons that could be used in a rebellion.

I kind of wonder what's next though. The gun thing will only buy them votes for so long, and then they will need something else. I'm assuming it will be something environmental, but even that won't be it. I worry that since "property" doesn't seem to matter much in Canada, that we could one day see some drastic re-distribution of wealth "for the good of society" (AKA votes)

With the PM appearing daily giving humungus gifts of cash, solicitation and good cheer, delivering on his election promise of 2015, there will be an election call ASAP, depending on the CoVid19 stats...... :eek:

Not much will change for him in al Western Canada, as this pandemic lifts the economic carnage is going to be brutal and his policies make it much worse.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=538035560216267&id=1036846836425359

Oh look our PM lying about gun control plans

As well,

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-46/page-29.html#h-117787

Regulations

117.15 (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Governor in Council may make regulations prescribing anything that by this Part is to be or may be prescribed.

Marginal note:Restriction

(2) In making regulations, the Governor in Council may not prescribe any thing to be a prohibited firearm, a restricted firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or prohibited ammunition if, in the opinion of the Governor in Council, the thing to be prescribed is reasonable for use in Canada for hunting or sporting purposes.

Marginal note:Non-restricted firearm

(3) Despite the definitions prohibited firearm and restricted firearm in subsection 84(1), a firearm that is prescribed to be a non-restricted firearm is deemed not to be a prohibited firearm or a restricted firearm.

Marginal note:Restricted firearm

(4) Despite the definition prohibited firearm in subsection 84(1), a firearm that is prescribed to be a restricted firearm is deemed not to be a prohibited firearm.

Is this ban illegal then by using a OIC?

Dimsum said:
I mean, I wouldn't mind having the "normal" boot for DEU instead of the Oxfords or parade boots.  The Australian Defence Force issues black RM Williams boots and they look great.

Them suckers is pricey. I hope the ADF gets a bulk rate.

;D

Anyone have any more information regarding the UCP of Albertas possibility of establishing their own CFO and having a more common sense gun rights province?

If so, they may have a BC refugee in short order.

Thanks guys, I tried googling but only found one article..
Abdullah

CloudCover said:
Blundstone combat boots?

Same idea, but RMs are a lot nicer quality.  However, they're double (or triple) the price of Blundstones.

Blundstones in Australia are the boots you see tradesmen (city service workers, construction, etc) wear.

AbdullahD said:
Anyone have any more information regarding the UCP of Albertas possibility of establishing their own CFO and having a more common sense gun rights province?

If so, they may have a BC refugee in short order.

Thanks guys, I tried googling but only found one article..
Abdullah

He hasn't given any details yet, if he does, expect them this week. However firearms are a federal program so I don't know how much Alberta can do.

MilEME09 said:
He hasn't given any details yet, if he does, expect them this week. However firearms are a federal program so I don't know how much Alberta can do.

Yeah, I am curious to how it plays out.. I do not understand how The Liberals expect to make handguns a municipal issue, when firearms are federally regulated. It could make for some interesting back door applications of any new laws... or more effective defence of our current situation etc.

Far to many scenarios for me to hazard a guess, my little head is going insane trying to figure out how this will all play out.

Thanks for the insight though :)
Abdullah

AbdullahD said:
make handguns a municipal issue,

The municipality can only limit gun range locations.

They announced that they are apparently going after pinned magazines now and bringing in ammunition restrictions. Looks like they're going all in. I wonder will it be the amount of ammo you can buy or are they going after reloading?

AbdullahD said:
Yeah, I am curious to how it plays out.. I do not understand how The Liberals expect to make handguns a municipal issue, when firearms are federally regulated. It could make for some interesting back door applications of any new laws... or more effective defence of our current situation etc.

My expectation is that the Firearms Act will be amended to allow municipalities to declare "handgun prohibition zones" where the possession, storage and use will be prohibited.  Some provinces will push back, notably ON, MB and the PM has said that there are tools available to force recalcitrant provinces to comply.  He will use those.  He will not accept challenges to a key plank in his election platform.  If certain provinces fail to play along, then a national handgun ban will probably be imposed.

Haggis, when you say Forearms Act expected to be amended, am I tracking correctly that this would take a Parliamentary bill to amend the act, since it is federal legislation?  As others have noted, this would require all good Liberals to come to the aid of the party and put themselves on record as to which side of the line they are, which may be a short-term gain, but longer-term (read, next election, whenever that is) pain for the LPC of it dilutes their brand in regions where firearms aren’t thought of as evil?

Back