• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,180
Points
1,060
From the free sources I cared to look at it looked like the majority thought our gun control was sufficient and didn't want to change it. Of course that's not going to stop Trudeau.

On the bright side the chances of a picture of him doing something stupid with a gun in existence is pretty high.
 

The Bread Guy

Moderator
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
297
Points
1,130
Initial reports from a 1030EDT Liberal newser via The Canadian Press:
Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is promising to ban all military-style assault rifles as part of a broader gun-control plan that will also take steps towards restricting and banning handguns.

Trudeau is making the pledge in Toronto as he tries to get his campaign back on track after apologizing for wearing blackface years ago.

The Liberals also pledge to work with provinces and territories to empower municipalities to further restrict — or ban — handguns.

Trudeau is making the announcement in the city’s Greektown neighbourhood, where a gunman killed two people and wounded 13 others last year in a shooting rampage.

The party says it will protect the rights of law-abiding hunters and vows not to re-establish the controversial long-gun registry that was scrapped by the previous Conservative government.

The proposal also includes pledges to create a buy-back program for all legally purchased assault rifles and a two-year amnesty while the program is being set up.

Cross-posted this to the Election 2019 thread so the politics can be discussed there, and the mechanics of the proposals here.
 

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
790
Points
910
In Canada, what constitutes an "assault rifle"?

If the definition is feature/configuration dependent, will removal of the offending features/configuration render a weapon "lawful"?
 

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
410
If the boy blunder gets in gun owners are royalty knackered.
 

Jed

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Well PM Trudeau and the Liberal Party have now launched the opening salvo on the division of this once great nation of Canada. Fingers are crossed that the Canadian people are not duped into putting these charlatons back into power.
 

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
4
Points
410
Jed said:
Well PM Trudeau and the Liberal Party have now launched the opening salvo on the division of this once great nation of Canada. Fingers are crossed that the Canadian people are not duped into putting these charlatons back into power.

I noted his DIVISIVE comments in inaccurately stating the policy held by the Conservatives. 
This man blames everyone else and is the one who drives division more than any other faction in Canada.
Definitely not a nation builder and a unifier of peoples.
 

AbdullahD

Sr. Member
Subscriber
Reaction score
1
Points
180
VinceW said:
There will be a Liberal ban before there’s another gun ban.

I disagree gun owners who care on this subject are already voting Conservative. This mobilizes the mass of likely ignorant people who think a Ban will make Canada safer.

It also deflects attention away from the Blackface issue and if Scheer is not careful he will get caught up in the pro-firearms argument effectively moving the Liberal campaign forward past this black face issue.

So sadly I still expect to see a liberal minority, our best hope is to block these motions before they become law.. cause our voters seem not to care.
Also, I am curious if they will try to ban the SKS too...

Abdullah
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,180
Points
1,060
my72jeep said:
If the boy blunder gets in gun owners are royalty knackered.

Maybe it'll be like New Zealand.  Turn up to turn your guns in and if you don't like the price and decide to leave the armed gentlemen at the back of the room will take your guns from you anyways lol
 

VinceW

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
0
Points
0
AbdullahD said:
I disagree gun owners who care on this subject are already voting Conservative. This mobilizes the mass of likely ignorant people who think a Ban will make Canada safer.

It also deflects attention away from the Blackface issue and if Scheer is not careful he will get caught up in the pro-firearms argument effectively moving the Liberal campaign forward past this black face issue.

So sadly I still expect to see a liberal minority, our best hope is to block these motions before they become law.. cause our voters seem not to care.
Also, I am curious if they will try to ban the SKS too...

Abdullah

Conservatives are ahead in polls so far and the last time a gun ban was announced during an election was in 2005 when Harper won.
 

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
905
Points
860
VinceW said:
Conservatives are ahead in polls so far and the last time a gun ban was announced during an election was in 2005 when Harper won.

Unfortunately they are not ahead where it counts and for seat distribution.

That may change in the coming days but the latest Nanos poll sees no significant drop yet.

And that election was all about the Gomery report.  gun control played little or no role in that.

 

Lumber

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
42
Points
530
1. "Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons" : does this mean all semi-autos or just "assault" semi-autos, and if the latter, wtf makes it an assault weapon vice a nongassault weapon?

2. I agree with Abdullah. Most of those who this pisses off the most were never going to vote liberal anyway. Of those who are on the fence about who to vote for (like me), there are probably very few who consider gun control or gun rights as one of their top priorities. That's also like me. I don't own a gun, but I support gun ownership in general, and I don't think we need this ban. That being said, will this decide my vote? Nope.

I think this is a win for the liberals. Not only does it move the message away form black face, but it could sway votes from ignorant voters on the left side of the spectrum.
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,180
Points
1,060
Lumber said:
1. "Semi-Automatic Assault Weapons" : does this mean all semi-autos or just "assault" semi-autos, and if the latter, wtf makes it an assault weapon vice a nongassault weapon?

2. I agree with Abdullah. Most of those who this pisses off the most were never going to vote liberal anyway. Of those who are on the fence about who to vote for (like me), there are probably very few who consider gun control or gun rights as one of their top priorities. That's also like me. I don't own a gun, but I support gun ownership in general, and I don't think we need this ban. That being said, will this decide my vote? Nope.

I think this is a win for the liberals. Not only does it move the message away form black face, but it could sway votes from ignorant voters on the left side of the spectrum.

You're still on the fence about voting Liberal?
 

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
905
Points
860
Jarnhamar said:
You're still on the fence about voting Liberal?

It is not unreasonable depending on your intentions.  gun control one way or another won't sway my vote either.  I support gun owners and am ok with the laws we have.  But I have other issues that are more important than guns.  Same with defence.  it's white noise from both the liberals and the CPC as neither will keep their promises on that so I ignore their policies on that when vote time comes.

Campaigns matter.  the day of the election is what matters and that's when I will decide.
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,180
Points
1,060
I'm not thinking about just gun control - this is really a small thing and not surprising. I meant in light of everything else.
 

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
905
Points
860
Jarnhamar said:
I'm not thinking about just gun control - this is really a small thing and not surprising. I meant in light of everything else.

Don't want to derail this much but I'm still hoping for a weak LPC majority.  Scheer steps down and someone better steps up.  Trudeau government falls within a year and we get a better option for maybe two terms.  I don't want to see Scheer or Trudeau as PM.  So I'm thinking long game here.
 

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,180
Points
1,060
Editing for decorum. I respectfully hope you don't get what you want  :nod:



I wonder where the liberal government will get the money for a buy back program.

This seems like a good time to look for some cheap gun deals and make some cash down the road. Do you have a pal/rpal?

 

Cloud Cover

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
30
Points
530
Which police force is going to go on to FN land and disarm them of their "assault rifles" and other soon to be banned weapons.

I can't think of any officer I know that is prepared to face the two way range over that, and I would not support the army once again being asked to take up arms against people in our own country.
 

OldSolduer

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
1,476
Points
910
I’m not impressed with Bill Blair and the plan to ban handguns. Really.
How about using laws already on the books to incarcerate repeat offenders?


Oh I’m sorry.... I forgot they aren’t offenders they just perceive laws differently than we do.
 
Top