• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Depression / Anti Depressants Merged Thread

Have your family physician fill out the form. If s/he feels it is required, they can mention the period in question or include the pediatricians comments.

ArmyDoc said:
Have your family physician fill out the form. If s/he feels it is required, they can mention the period in question or include the pediatricians comments.

Thank you for your response. My doctor said he will include the pediatricians comments (which weren't great). Would my doctor's current evaluation on me typically be the most important information to the medical officer?

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has been accepted that was on anti depressants during their recruiting process..
I have been on and off of small doses of cipralex for anxiety for 10 years. I have weened off my medication completely last month and my doctor filled out on the form that I don't require follow up and that my anxiety has a very low chance of recurring.
My medical documents were sent to Ottawa Oct 2. I am preparing myself for being medically rejected but if I could just find one person that had been accepted while either on medication or off recently after they applied that would give Me a little bit of hope. I have spent weeks reading these forums and have yet to hear of a person approved for enrollment under these circumstances, without an appeal.
Thanks!

Welcome to Army.ca, Kittles85

Firstly, thanks for doing your homework here prior to asking. I appreciate that, as so few first-time posters do.

Your doctor's competence to state that your "anxiety has a very low chance of recurring" in a military environment, with its rather unusual stresses, is highly unlikely. Suicide as a result of Operational Stress Injuries is far too frequent.

Finding "just one person" is irrelevant. Medical assessments are specific to individuals. You will have to wait for your results - but you already appear to understand the odds.

I wish you luck.

Kittles85 said:
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if there is anyone out there that has been accepted that was on anti depressants during their recruiting process..
I have been on and off of small doses of cipralex for anxiety for 10 years. I have weened off my medication completely last month and my doctor filled out on the form that I don't require follow up and that my anxiety has a very low chance of recurring.
My medical documents were sent to Ottawa Oct 2. I am preparing myself for being medically rejected but if I could just find one person that had been accepted while either on medication or off recently after they applied that would give Me a little bit of hope. I have spent weeks reading these forums and have yet to hear of a person approved for enrollment under these circumstances, without an appeal.
Thanks!

Our situations aren’t similar, but you will find my original post a page or two back. I took cipralex for a couple of years, and applied to the forces after being off for one year. I was medically unfit, and told to reapply in a year. I did, and am now leaving for BMQ March 3rd. You were on cipralex for a lot longer and you describe it as “on and off”. I have no idea what their policy is for these but I feel that may be a tougher sell. In any case, it is possible to have a bout with depression and get in.

So I have a question. Sorry in advance for the long post. So I have plans to join the CF in the future give or take 10 years. I’m wondering if having been on medication in the past for mental illness will affect my chances of entering the military. Most of my childhood and teenage years I was on medication. As of 2014 I have been off all medications. To sum it up as a kid I had lots of energy was in a foster home who didn’t know how to deal with me so they drugged me up with lots of medication. What they did was actually illegal by the way. None the less I went into a permanent home after and was taken off all medication and was given the right ones only 2.  Prozac and Concerta which helped me in high school and the depression I got from abuse as a child. In my last year of high school I was given respiridone for a suicide attempt, that also was wrongly done as I found out later on in life. I had one more attempt after high school and a self harm incident which I was not kept in the hospital as the  psychiatrist there sent me home knowing It was not serious and that I admitted it was an attention thing. In 2014 I was taken off all medication as I was seen fit by my doctor in doing so. When my doctor took me off all medication she also told me the respiridone was wrongly prescribed for my attempt in high school and noted it shouldn’t have been given. After I was off medication I felt 100% better. I had no issues for 2 years, no depression, anxiety, and ect. After 5 months of marriage I got pregnant and got pregnancy ocd and after birth I got the anxiety. I did not receive any help and am not on any medication at the moment.  I’ve been working on fixing my issues on my own with different tactics as I already know that I can’t rely on a drug in order to cope especially in the military. So I guess what I’m asking is with all this crap that I have dealt with and the issues I’m working on fixing do you in your personal opinion think that I could qualify for the CF even if I pass all the other tests? Please note I plan on doing reserves in 10 years and only reserves in the Navy as my husband is full time in the military and with a child and another on the way full time is not an option. I plan on doing everything I can to get in because I know you have to train hard and work hard in order to get in. I plan on going back to school and doing anything else that will help. I’m also stubborn, don’t take no for an answer and so I’m soldiering on and doing anything I can to get into the career I so desperately want. Also don’t know if this helps but hubby was all for it and thought I could get in prior to getting pregnant but has different views now with children as he thinks I should just stay home and be that military wife. Any advice and input is greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

1. Paragraphs.

2. Yes everything you described will in all likelihood affect your chances of joining. No none here can say for certain how much or whether or not you'll be accepted to the CAF.

3. Thread is full of people asking the same kinds of questions, have a look.  OCD, anxeity, suicide attempts, self-harm. That's serious stuff.

4. Not taking no for an answer isn't a great trait for the military where you're expected to follow orders, even orders you really don't like.

PINEAPPLEBELONGSONPIZZA said:
In my last year of high school I was given respiridone for a suicide attempt, that also was wrongly done as I found out later on in life. I had one more attempt after high school and a self harm incident which I was not kept in the hospital as the  psychiatrist there sent me home knowing It was not serious and that I admitted it was an attention thing.

Self-Harm/Suicide Attempts
https://army.ca/forums/threads/69787.25

After 5 months of marriage I got pregnant and got pregnancy ocd and after birth I got the anxiety.

Anxiety/OCD/meds
https://army.ca/forums/threads/13409.25

Also don’t know if this helps but hubby was all for it and thought I could get in prior to getting pregnant but has different views now with children as he thinks I should just stay home and be that military wife. Any advice and input is greatly appreciated. 

How to get family on board 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/13678.475

As always, Recruiting ( Medical ) is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

Jarnhamar said:
1. Paragraphs.

2. Yes everything you described will in all likelihood affect your chances of joining. No none here can say for certain how much or whether or not you'll be accepted to the CAF.

3. Thread is full of people asking the same kinds of questions, have a look.  OCD, anxeity, suicide attempts, self-harm. That's serious stuff.

4. Not taking no for an answer isn't a great trait for the military where you're expected to follow orders, even orders you really don't like.

First of all I am aware that this needed paragraphs but being the early hours of the morning with a toddler who decided to pull an all nighter I could have cared less as I was hardly awake. 

Secondly I am very aware of the seriousness all of this. I am hoping though that in 10 years when I apply that they will hopefully accept me considering by that point it will have been 15 years since any suicide and self harm. 

I want also note that by that point my OCD and anxiety will be gone during that time because it’s all pregnancy related.

Lastly I know very well that a “I don’t take no for an answer” attitude will not work in the military. When I stated that it was in terms of trying to get the job I am pursuing. I have no issues of doing anything I can to get in. 

I really appreciate your input though, thank you. 

First of all I am aware that this needed paragraphs but being the early hours of the morning with a toddler who decided to pull an all nighter I could have cared less as I was hardly awake. 

Secondly I am very aware of the seriousness all of this. I am hoping though that in 10 years when I apply that they will hopefully accept me considering by that point it will have been 15 years since any suicide and self harm. 

I want also note that by that point my OCD and anxiety will be gone during that time because it’s all pregnancy related.

Lastly I know very well that a “I don’t take no for an answer” attitude will not work in the military. When I stated that it was in terms of trying to get the job I am pursuing. I have no issues of doing anything I can to get in. 

I really appreciate your input though, thank you.

Hello, welcome to Army.ca.

You’ll find that answers/responses to posts are very often stated directly, with no fluff, as is the way of CAF when at all possible. Many users come here asking similar questions about a multitude of topics. Other users take the time to answer as accurately and efficiently as they can. It’s important that new users understand that responses are not personal. If undue tone/attitude is used, DS will usually monitor and step in when necessary.

Directing Staff encourages the success of new/old/returning users to the site, and, along with the Mentors, offer guidance where we see it’s needed. Everyone here has a story, some choose to share and some don’t. But where all posts are concerned, we ask everyone to utilize proper grammar, punctuation and sentence structure to the best of their abilities. Many of us spend a lot of time here and being able to read posts easily, especially when we see users who are seeking assistance, is very important—Both to the original poster and to those taking the time to lend a hand.

That being said, as you are a new user, there’s no need to become defensive if a user points out how the process of these boards can be best suited for everyone. I’m sorry you’re in a difficult position, and there are certainly those who sympathize. But take posting advisements under consideration. They are often pointed out in order to help people adapt quickly to the tone, rules and expectations of this site.

I hope you find information which is helpful. We are a tremendous source for all things military, and oftentimes,  even for non-CAF related topics.

Happy reading,

Staff

Further to my esteemed colleague's points, PINEAPPLEBELONGSONPIZZA:

Personal History

I have known many people, in and outside of the CF, who have had crappy childhoods and/or relationships/marriages, in a couple of cases exhibiting self-harm for short periods. I have also known one who had absolutely disgusting, unimaginable, and completely unacceptable experience in the CF (I was her Assisting Officer; she ultimately prevailed). I honestly do not know how they maintained their sanity and continued to function, other than sheer determination. At least one is still dealing with her past several decades later, but put herself through university and earned a Master's degree while raising children with no support from her spouse.

Your background is not normal, but, sadly, far too frequent. If others can overcome similar obstacles, there is no reason why you cannot either. You can also turn your negative experiences into strength for others' benefit. Understanding abuse, neglect, and depression etcetera directly and dealing with it successfully can be of great help to others. That is why the previously-mentioned woman who earned her Master's degree is now a social worker.

Chances of Enrollment

You will never know, and nobody here can predict with any meaningful accuracy, what your chances are. You will have to actually apply and go through the whole process in order to find out. That aside, I see no specific reason why you should be denied entry. You will have to work hard on yourself to overcome the issues which have troubled and continue to trouble you, and which may spring up again many years after you think that you've beaten them down. You seem perfectly aware of this already.

"It's all pregnancy related". Maybe. Your past may have made you more susceptible, too. You have most likely already taken that into consideration, but it needs to be said. Military life can add some unique stressors that can inflame pre-existing problems, most especially when deployed or even long afterwards, but, as a Reservist, that is far less likely to happen.

Be aware of all of these things, and, when necessary, seek help before anything goes too far. There is more available now, and much less stigma. Any of us who has been in for a few years, and some with far less time in, has lost a friend and colleague (or several) to suicide, so we are fairly sensitive to that.

This is a supportive Site, and there are people who can help, either publicly or privately, if needed. There is also much discussion in older threads on this Site, so, please, explore those when toddler(s) permit.

Communication Style

Readability is important. If you wish people to read what you take the time and trouble to write, you need to take a little more time and trouble to make it easily readable, as well as clear and complete. Most/many will just pass on by when they see a massive block of words. I almost did, but decided to read it only because of BeyondTheNow's response - she is worth reading and her advice is solid.

There is seldom a need to rush a post out. I understand your fatigue and distraction, and presume that you had these thoughts composed in your head right then and wanted to set them down while they were fresh. I sometimes do that off-Site, when composing a lengthy reply or one that requires some research, in Word Perfect (because I despise Word). I can then work and re-work my composition until satisfied with it, and paste it back into the thread in which I am commenting.

One can also save one's effort during the process; I have put too much time into too many responses only to lose them due to a computer/software/Site glitch - and that is extremely frustrating.

Accuracy, Brevity, and Clarity (ABC, obviously) are the fundamentals of effective communication, and a requirement for military communication. Inaccurate communication can result in confusion, loss of valuable and often irreplaceable equipment, loss of lives, mission failure, and deep personal embarrassment. Overly-long communication (as this one may have become some time ago) can induce people to become bored, tune out, fall asleep, or begin plotting the speaker's/author's grisly death. Lack of clarity leads to misinterpretation, followed by the same effects stemming from lack of accuracy, or delay while further clarification is being sought.

Proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and structure are important ABC supporters, and help to make reading easier and more pleasant.

Just as the CF in general insists upon this, so do we on this Site (although, admittedly, nobody's died or been maimed by a confusing post here).

Conclusion (Finally)

Continue to participate here, benefit from the experiences of others, and contribute where you feel competent and comfortable to do so.

And, when the time is right, apply.

Qapla.

Hello Army.ca forum users,

I started my application with the CAF in Nov of 2016. Passed both the CFAT and ACS for my primary trade choice AEC. I went through the interview well and was recommended for the job. However, my previous history of taking depression and anxiety medications is now complicating things.

My depression was very situational in that I had been going through a very difficult period of my life (my grandfather passed, I was miserable at work and my girlfriend had dumped me unexpectedly) and my doctor recommended I go on a very low dosage of citalopram. This was in 2013 and I continued taking medication out of habit.

It never occurred to me that taking medication could halt my chances of making it into the CAF. Once I found this out, I immediately began to progressively reduce my dosage and by March 2017 I stopped and have been off meds since.

The problem I'm having is that the forces want to know when exactly I was off my meds via my doctor. I made a huge misjudgment in that I did not tell my doctor I had stopped taking medication. He can only go off of when I had my last prescription filled. So he gave me a note indicating as much and that I had been off my medication for some time.

If anyone could give me some advice or suggestions as to how to proceed or what to expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

Does anybody have personal experience, or know of a person who has applied and been accepted into the CAF with a history of Dysthymia?

I've read through this entire forum, as well as other forums looking for anything more than an obscure reference to Dysthymia. I don't know which is harder, finding information on this specific type of depression, or finding information on WFE Techs.

Any information given strictly for a basic framework of possible pathways. Already sent my psychiatric assessment forms from my G.P. to Ottawa, just waiting for the rejection letter so I can get more concrete standards to meet, if even possible.

Thanks for any help and/or information.

I'm wondering if I can join the Canadian military after having taken both antidepressants and anti-psychotic medicine. I have been on the antidepressant for 4 years and the anti-psychotic for almost 2 . My psychiatrist tells me she wants me on the anti-psychotic for 2 more years and says i will not be able to join the military . Is she right about this? Will this affect my chances of becoming a pilot?

Probably not in your immediate future. Have you considered AmmoTech?

Hi,

I'm wondering if I can join the military after having had a psychotic event and been on anti-psychotics for a number of years?  I would like to become a pilot.

You won't know unless you apply and are given a yes or no. I'm not a doctor, so I can't say.

With that said, the military tends to medically release already serving members if they require certain medications or have had similar incidents. My advice would be to try, but make sure you have a back up plan. There's more to life than flying or being in the military.

:2c:

unknown198 said:
I'm wondering if I can join the military after having had a psychotic event and been on anti-psychotics for a number of years? 

From two CAF Recruiters,

Buck_HRA said:
Good day,

During the application process, our recruiting medical personnel will assess your unique medical situation. A complete medical examination is necessary when assessing medical fitness for the Canadian Armed Forces. At this time, the Forces will be able to determine if any existing medical conditions would preclude your from joining.  This is also important when restrictions may limit the career choices being considered.

If you have specific medical questions you should contact the recruiting detachment nearest you and ask to speak with a member of the medical staff directly.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

DAA said:
CAF Recruiters are strictly forbidden from answering any type of "Medical" related question.  The only people qualified to answer this, are the CAF Medical Professionals at your local Recruiting Detachment and even if they were here online, they too wouldn't answer your question(s).  You must first be assessed by them, after which, you will have your answer and not before.

Hence the reason why, no "Recruiter" has responded to any of these types of questions.  What Sgt Laen has posted, is the "best" and only answer you'll get.

See also, Reply #393

unknown198 said:
Hi,

I'm wondering if I can join the military after having had a psychotic event and been on anti-psychotics for a number of years?  I would like to become a pilot.

What does the 198 in your name represent?

Back