• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Defence Budget [superthread]

If Canada doubled the defense budget we would have no idea how to spend it. We would end up with a bunch of new desks next March.

kev994 said:
If Canada doubled the defense budget we would have no idea how to spend it. We would end up with a bunch of new desks next March.

Would I be able to get boots as well?

kev994 said:

Oh no, we'd know but PSPC would throw so much red tape and monkey wrenches into the transmission we'd be unable to spend it.

Well... I guess we will see how a Trump administration compels Trudeau to shift gears.  Stay embarrassingly low on defence spending and suffer an economic smack with a NAFTA burning party, or increase defence spending to the agreed 2% and do a fair share of the lifting and the NAFTA issue gets only a slight tweak...

Trudeau, I think, will be perpetually between a rock and a hard place as long as Trump reigns. 

Interesting times ahead. 

jollyjacktar said:
Oh no, we'd know but PSPC would throw so much red tape and monkey wrenches into the transmission we'd be unable to spend it.
Ack. That's what I meant.

QV:
Well... I guess we will see how a Trump administration compels Trudeau to shift gears.  Stay embarrassingly low on defence spending and suffer an economic smack with a NAFTA burning party, or increase defence spending to the agreed 2% and do a fair share of the lifting and the NAFTA issue gets only a slight tweak...

Trudeau, I think, will be perpetually between a rock and a hard place as long as Trump reigns.

Interesting times ahead.

Since Trump has met with the CEO's of Boeing and MacDonald Douglas re costs we may expect that Canada will get (after a big nudge from Trump) the F-35 as the procurement will further decrease the costs. Trudeau will come up with some cockomany excuse such as Canadian industry benefits etc to CYA.

IMHO and my political bias that it will be a big embarrassment to Canada when Trump and Trudeau meet. Trump will see right through the PM in seconds flat. Trump will be gracious though and tweet that Trudeau has nice hair.

Rifleman62 said:
QV: 

Since Trump has met with the CEO's of Boeing and MacDonald Douglas re costs we may expect that Canada will get (after a big nudge from Trump) the F-35 as the procurement will further decrease the costs. Trudeau will come up with some cockomany excuse such as Canadian industry benefits etc to CYA.

IMHO and my political bias that it will be a big embarrassment to Canada when Trump and Trudeau meet. Trump will see right through the PM in seconds flat. Trump will be gracious though and tweet that Trudeau has nice hair.

I'm not so sure it will be an "embarrassment" for Canada but could possibly be an "economic problem" for Canada.

Both these guys are shallow neophytes without "political" negotiating skills. Trump is a bully and Trudeau is a lightweight holding few negotiating cards. Both are fervently nationalistic; Trump overtly so and Trudeau as the inheritor of the Liberals' long-standing hatred of anything American. I'm not so sure that either of the two realises the mutual benefit that accrues to our two countries under our present trade structure and they may both be too enraptured in their own rhetoric to see or accept that.

What worries me more than anything isn't so much JT's shallowness being an embarrassment as his more experienced but intransigent handlers setting up a situation which will trigger Trump's reflex to lash out irrationally.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
I'm not so sure it will be an "embarrassment" for Canada but could possibly be an "economic problem" for Canada.

Both these guys are shallow neophytes without "political" negotiating skills. Trump is a bully and Trudeau is a lightweight holding few negotiating cards. Both are fervently nationalistic; Trump overtly so and Trudeau as the inheritor of the Liberals' long-standing hatred of anything American. I'm not so sure that either of the two realises the mutual benefit that accrues to our two countries under our present trade structure and they may both be too enraptured in their own rhetoric to see or accept that.

What worries me more than anything isn't so much JT's shallowness being an embarrassment as his more experienced but intransigent handlers setting up a situation which will trigger Trump's reflex to lash out irrationally.

:cheers:

'A leader is a dealer in hope.'

They're both pretty good leaders so far, IMHO, in their own right.

QV said:
If we believe what Trump says, my guess is that saving American jobs is a higher priority to him than getting Canada to spend more on defence.  If that's the case, bye bye NAFTA, no matter what Prince Valiant does on defence spending.
Rifleman62 said:
Trump will see right through the PM in seconds flat. Trump will be gracious though and tweet that Trudeau has nice hair.
More than likely.
FJAG said:
:nod:
Rifleman62 said:
It's interesting to see how many folks around here seem to be OK with a foreign power squeezing Canada's nutz to get what it wants ...

milnews.ca said:
It's interesting to see how many folks around here seem to be OK with a foreign power squeezing Canada's nutz to get what it wants ...

I think it's just people being realistic given our geopolitical situation.  It's not like we'll deploy by ourselves and will more than likely do so with the US, and also that we need to work hand in glove with the US for NORAD, etc., so it will be a hard sell to not alter our wishes to coincide with theirs (ie. follow them).

milnews.ca said:

My question to you is when in history hasn't this been the case? Since we became a nation (as well as before it) someone has always been forcing us to do what they want for their benefit. For a while it was the UK, now it is the US. It would be nice if we could just shrug it off, but we have neither the power, or more importantly the will to do so.

Eaglelord17 said:
My question to you is when in history hasn't this been the case? Since we became a nation (as well as before it) someone has always been forcing us to do what they want for their benefit. For a while it was the UK, now it is the US. It would be nice if we could just shrug it off, but we have neither the power, or more importantly the will to do so.

I would be okay with what we do (militarily wise) currently if we were just honest about it. Our leaders (political and military) trot out "Multipurpose combat capable military" when we are just barely hanging on to that mantra. I'd be impressed if the Government just came clean and said "We are doing the absolute minimum required because we know that when push comes to shove, the USA will do the job for us. We have no intention of increasing military expenditure and all new purchases will prioritize local jobs over combat capability."
That would be immensely refreshing.

FSTO said:
I would be okay with what we do (militarily wise) currently if we were just honest about it. Our leaders (political and military) trot out "Multipurpose combat capable military" when we are just barely hanging on to that mantra. I'd be impressed if the Government just came clean and said "We are doing the absolute minimum required because we know that when push comes to shove, the USA will do the job for us. We have no intention of increasing military expenditure and all new purchases will prioritize local jobs over combat capability."
That would be immensely refreshing.

That level of honesty would be very refreshing, on the other hand, given human history, I firmly believe we are due for a major conflict soon, and Canada is very much reactionary with defense spending, like both world wars, Korea, and even Afghanistan we were caught with our pants down saying "oh wait we need a military"

Will a hammer on defence spending come down from new POTUS?

Readout from Secretary James Mattis’ Call with Canada Minister of National Defense Harjit Sajjan

Pentagon Spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis provided the following readout:

Secretary of Defense James Mattis spoke this morning via telephone with Canadian Minister of National Defence Harjit Sajjan.  This was Secretary Mattis' first telephone conversation with a defense counterpart since being confirmed as secretary of defense on Jan. 20.  Secretary Mattis thanked Minister Sajjan for his leadership and the deep and enduring defense partnership between the United States and Canada.  The two reiterated the depth and breadth of the relationship shared between the United States and Canada as NORAD partners, NATO allies, and North American neighbors. 

Secretary Mattis and Minister Sajjan reinforced the vital importance of U.S. and Canadian commitment to North American defense and NORAD.  Secretary Mattis emphasized the indispensable partnership with Canada across the spectrum of bilateral and multilateral security issues such as Iraq, NATO Enhanced Forward Presence and C-ISIL.  The two leaders also addressed the importance of North American defense relations among the United States, Canada, and Mexico. 

Secretary Mattis thanked Minister Sajjan for Canada’s strong support for our alliance, and expressed his personal appreciation for the professionalism of the Canadian Armed Forces. The two committed to stay in close communication and noted they looked forward to meeting one another.
https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1057416/readout-from-secretary-james-mattis-call-with-canada-minister-of-national-defen#.WIanNaSUVFQ.twitterhttps://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1057416/readout-from-secretary-james-mattis-call-with-canada-minister-of-national-defen

Cf. UK:

Readout from Secretary James Mattis’ Call with UK State Secretary for Defense Michael Fallon

Pentagon Spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis provided the following readout:

Secretary of Defense James Mattis spoke today by telephone with his counterpart from the United Kingdom, State Secretary for Defense Michael Fallon. Secretary Mattis emphasized the United States and the United Kingdom will always enjoy a uniquely close relationship, reflected in our defense ties which are a bedrock of U.S. security.

He also emphasized the United States' unshakeable commitment to NATO and he thanked Secretary Fallon for his country’s commitment of two percent of GDP to defense [emphasis added] and contributions to international security. The two leaders pledged to work together in the coming months, agreeing to maintain focus on defeating ISIL.  They pledged to work closely and noted they looked forward to meeting at the upcoming NATO defense ministerial.
https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1057424/readout-from-secretary-james-mattis-call-with-uk-state-secretary-for-defense-mi

Read between the lines?

Mark
Ottawa

According to this CP story, reproduced under the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act, the MND has announced that Canada will be increasing defence spending. No indication of when and how much was made.

Canada will make new investments in defence, Sajjan says from Brussels
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/canada-will-make-new-investments-in-defence-sajjan-says/
By The Canadian Press — Feb 16 2017

OTTAWA — Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says Canada is looking at significant new investments in defence that will follow the forthcoming release of its defence policy review.

Sajjan made the remarks today when asked about U.S. President Donald Trump's repeated complaints about NATO members failing to carry their share of the cost of the alliance.

Sajjan is in the middle of a series of defence meetings in Europe, including a gathering of NATO ministers.

Speaking to a teleconference from Brussels, he says he has spoken with U.S. Defence Secretary James Mattis, who stressed the importance of the NATO alliance.

Sajjan says Canada is demonstrating its commitment to NATO by contributing troops and leading a multinational NATO mission in Latvia as part of what is known as Operation Reassurance.

He says the policy review looked at Canadian defence needs for the next 20 years and that means more money — although he didn't say how much.

NATO says member states should aim to spend two per cent of GDP on defence. Canada now spends about one per cent.

"We knew that spending by the previous government was low and the defence policy review allowed us to do a thorough analysis of what was required," the minister said.

"Yes, this will require defence investments."

The government is looking at predictable, planned investments, he said.

"We in Canada need to be able to demonstrate a thorough plan and what type of defence investment is needed, because this is significant money that needs to be invested, but the Canadian taxpayer also requires us to make sure that we are efficient with the money."

As well as the NATO talks and a meeting with a counter-ISIL group led by Mattis, Sajjan also had bilateral meetings with the NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg and ministers from Australia, France, Germany, Portugal, Slovenia and the United Kingdom.

He is heading to Germany for the Munich Security Conference, where senior decision-makers from around the world will discuss international security challenges.

- mod edit to add link -

Old Sweat said:
According to this CP story, reproduced under the Fair Dealings provision of the Copyright Act, the MND has announced that Canada will be increasing defence spending. No indication of when and how much was made.

Canada will make new investments in defence, Sajjan says from Brussels
By The Canadian Press — Feb 16 2017

OTTAWA — Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan says Canada is looking at significant new investments in defence that will follow the forthcoming release of its defence policy review ...

That's great but will those "new investments" be in more serving members (other than admirals and colonels), in ships, tanks, aircraft, boots and logistics vehicles? or will they come from Professor Michael Byers' list?

Back