• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Decline of the Liberal Party- Swerved Into a Confederation Topic

Growing? Has it ever stopped? I think, like everything else, social media has just made it easier to reach a global audience whereas before, it'd have to be on the news.

I have family in the west. Ever since I was born (and I'm not really young), they were complaining that "Ottawa doesn't care about AB/BC".

Ummmmm. Sure, ok.

I always love your posts in these talks.

The part I have quoted honestly scares me. Not a formal Liberal-NDP coalition, but the knock on effects to our country.

And it's systematic of our broken seat distribution IMHO.

Western and Conservative alienation is growing. And the chunk of the popular vote they are winning is growing as well. For the good of the country I think it would be best to let them form a minority Gov and let it live or die organically.

If we have to go through a cycle of frequent elections until we can get a leader/majority gov the country can truly get behind, so be it. From where I sit that's probably what's best for the country. We need to work through this period of instability and division.

Just the musings of a bored hunter watching a sun rise :)
Yes, heaven forbid that the largest geographical region in Canada with all the good stuff in it should get a voice, that's just crazy talk! Any of you people east of Kenora ever spend time out here? I don't mean surfing in Tofino, or skiing in Whistler, BC is just Ontario's rec room, but actually lowered yourself to live out here with us primitives? You might have a better appreciation of what we're talking about. "I'm not an Easternist! Why, I have a cousin who retired to Kelowna!" doesn't quite give you the picture. It's real.

Yes, heaven forbid that the largest geographical region in Canada with all the good stuff in it should get a voice, that's just crazy talk! Any of you people east of Kenora ever spend time out here? I don't mean surfing in Tofino, or skiing in Whistler, BC is just Ontario's rec room, but actually lowered yourself to live out here with us primitives? You might have a better appreciation of what we're talking about. "I'm not an Easternist! Why, I have a cousin who retired to Kelowna!" doesn't quite give you the picture. It's real.

I don't think any region should be allowed to dominate the country politically.

Tough to rationalize that when the election is won before the polls in Nanaimo are even open. I didn't say dominate, I said have a voice.

I understand where you're coming from.

What I meant was I would like a redistribution of seats to take the power away from Central Canada and even the playing field.

I'm a fan of the American electoral college.

Also the Atlantic provinces are just the pregame show, while the west is the post game show.

Growing? Has it ever stopped? I think, like everything else, social media has just made it easier to reach a global audience whereas before, it'd have to be on the news.

I have family in the west. Ever since I was born (and I'm not really young), they were complaining that "Ottawa doesn't care about AB/BC".
Thunder Bay and Winnipeg gets some love from the LPC from time to time but the rest of old Rupert’s Land and Oregon Territory? It’s only to be used for exploitation and demonization by the Family Compact and the Château Clique!

In this situation the Liberals would, likely, still be allowed to form a government with explicit NDP support, but it might force Trudeau to accept a formal coalition with a few NDP ministers in key roles. That might NOT bother the Trudeau wing of the Liberal Party because they are comfortable with a well left of centre policy base. But it will bother the so-called Manley Liberals, the social moderates and fiscal conservatives, who are already restless, I think. That could mean a serious split of the Liberal Party and that is something that might make most Liberals back away.
May be in the next election PP can used that as part of his platform?

I spent just shy of 16 years posted in Vancouver Island, so I have an inkling of the sentiment out there.

I've also heard similar complaints from the east too - PEI, NL, etc saying Ottawa doesn't listen to them.

But, your comments actually made me look up the latest Statscan listing of population by province. These are all projections for Q3 2022 (millions):

Canada - 38.9
ON + QC - 23.7
West (MB-BC) - 12.4

So yeah it sucks, but the truth is that ON+QC has double the population of the west. So, is it weird that ON+QC would have an outsized voice in Canadian politics? Or am I misinterpreting your comments?

And SK and MB….

Hopefully voters don’t fall for JT’s electoral reform BS…

And SK and MB….

Hopefully voters don’t fall for JT’s electoral reform BS…
Nobody cares about them.

The Office Lol GIF

I spent just shy of 16 years posted in Vancouver Island, so I have an inkling of the sentiment out there.

I've also heard similar complaints from the east too - PEI, NL, etc saying Ottawa doesn't listen to them.

But, your comments actually made me look up the latest Statscan listing of population by province. These are all projections for Q3 2022 (millions):

Canada - 38.9
ON + QC - 23.7
West (MB-BC) - 12.4

So yeah it sucks, but the truth is that ON+QC has double the population of the west. So, is it weird that ON+QC would have an outsized voice in Canadian politics? Or am I misinterpreting your comments?

I know you didn't address this to me.

I think the word weird you used is the wrong word. I would say incorrect.

Canada - 38.9
ON + QC - 23.7
West (MB-BC) - 12.4

This is too big a country to think we are just one big homogeneous mass of people. Someone in High Level AB isn't likely to have much sympathy with someone in Toronto who's toughest thing in their life was that Canada Post stopped dropping their mail in a slot in the door, since reversed as I understand it. People in Kingston give less than two fucks, polished side down, that oil and gas workers in Estevan, Ft Mac, or Fort St John have to decide between the mortgage payment or feeding their kids thanks to the decisions of your duly elected government. You lived on Vancouver Island, the leftest of all leftist enclaves, with a guaranteed pay cheque twice a month? How did you ever survive? I bet you have a friend that lives in Calgary too.

This is too big a country to think we are just one big homogeneous mass of people. Someone in High Level AB isn't likely to have much sympathy with someone in Toronto who's toughest thing in their life was that Canada Post stopped dropping their mail in a slot in the door, since reversed as I understand it. People in Kingston give less than two fucks, polished side down, that oil and gas workers in Estevan, Ft Mac, or Fort St John have to decide between the mortgage payment or feeding their kids thanks to the decisions of your duly elected government. You lived on Vancouver Island with a guaranteed pay cheque twice a month? How did you ever survive? I bet you have a friend that lives in Calgary too.

Bingo.

Population density should not equate to priority of representation.

Back