• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TCCC Shoulder Bag aka The Med Murse

PhilB

Reaction score
As the title says this is a review of my new TCCC/CLS shoulder bag, or as I have dubbed it "The Med Murse".

When I found out that I would be one of the TCCC's for my section I spend a lot of time humming and hawing about how to carry my medical supplies. I kicked around a bunch of options weighing the pros and cons. I am by no means an experienced medical provider, these are just my thought so what does not work for me may work for others, as always YMMV;

Drop Leg pouch - We have been issued drop leg pouches for our kit. The brand varies from the TT med pouch and platform that I got to the CTOMS pouch and platform. All of the non mat tech produced bags that I have seen are good quality and well designed I just dont like the concept of drop legs. Although none of the medical supplies are heavy, they are quite bulky and make for some large pouches. The issue that I have with the drop leg is several fold. Firstly, I strongly dislike having pouches attached to my legs. I find that they are hot, rub on my leg, swing around and fatigue my leg, are a pain when sitting in the back of the LAV and finally get caught up on doors and all kinds of other things. Additionally, their clam shell design has a habit of dumping your crap when you pull it open if it is not packed just right, as well it makes it difficult to transfer back to care under fire from tactical field care. For these reasons I discounted drop legs. I still have the issue one and may end up using if I need to.

Back Pack - Although an option I discounted this right away as I am not a medic and in no way have enough crap to fill a dedicated medical pack.

Fanny/*** pack - I looked into the Emdom recon pack and several other fanny packs. I liked the concept as it was off my legs and would not interfere with movement through doors, and in the back of the LAV. I eventually discounted this option after trying one on with armor and vest. It was impossible to even see into the fanny pack with all of my battle rattle on. This would mean that I would have to remove the waist pack every time I needed to treat someone. Not as much of an issue in the tactical field care portion of care, but definitely an issue in care under fire, trying to find TQ's and such.

Shoulder Bag - I liked the concept of a shoulder bag, similar to what medics used to use, ala WWII med bags etc. I liked the concept because, again like the fanny pack, it would not interfere with my movement and I could remove it in the back of the LAV. Unlike the waist pack I would be able to swing the bag to my front and access it without removing the bag, thus allowing me to treat someone with out any issues. This is the concept that I decided to go with.

After having decided on a concept I went about trying to action it. I could not find a commercial style bag that would meet my needs and be low profile enough so I went to ICE tactical and got a custom bag. Here is the result;

DSCN0534.jpg

DSCN0535.jpg

I wanted a bag that was low profile and somewhat contoured so that it would not swing around and bounce when it was slung behind me.

DSCN0536.jpg

Additionally I wanted pockets on the outside for TQ's, shears, and gloves.

Shears, and Gloves

DSCN0538.jpg

2x CAT TQ's

DSCN0537.jpg

TCCC's are issued, at a minimum (at least this is what I was told on course), 2x CATS, shears, 2x Israeli dressings, 2x Kerlix, 2x Asherman Chest Seals, 2x 10g Needles for decompression, 1x triangular bandage, 1x Quickclot and 2x NPA with lube. I wanted the bag to hold all of that kit in an organized manner, and if possible have room for more. I am quite happy with the result. The bag is broken into two compartments. The main pocket with elastic loops throughout, and a small flat rear pocket. My version of the bag does not have elastic in the rear pocket, but the more recent bags do.

Main pocket

DSCN0539.jpg

Rear Pocket

DSCN0540.jpg

All told I am currently carrying comfortably; 2x TQ's, shears, gloves, 4x Israeli dressings, 3x Kerlix, 2x triangular bandages, 3x Asherman seals, 8x tagaderm, 3x Israeli packages for 3 sided dressings, 4x 10g needles for decompression, and 2x NPA with lube (missing is the quickclot as we dont get issued it until arriving in theater). The interior of the bag is organized and I have room to spare.

DSCN0541.jpg

DSCN0542.jpg

The bag rides extremely well. I dont even notice when it is slung behind me, the outer pockets on my chest rig keep it from swinging forward. When I need to treat someone it is very easy to sling the back to my front and access the contents. Because the bag is not a clamshell design the contents do not spill out, making it very easy and quick to transition back into care under fire from tactical field care.

The bag cost me $60Can from ICE tactical and all in all I am very happy. The only change that I would make would be adding elastic loops to the rear compartment, which is being done to the 5 bags ordered by other guys in my platoon. Although this option of med carriage is not for everyone it works quite well for me. ICE tactical and Derek were a pleasure to deal with both on my original order for the bag, and the subsequent platoon order that I put in. I would definitely recommend them, and this bag for other TCCC's.

Put a waist belt on it as well as the shoulder sling, and you might have something there.

p.s.-nice purse.

That is one slick looking bag. I like the concept of this med bag. As you said, you can swing it behind your back, keep it on the side, or move it in front while in use.

While I am not TCCC, having handled the issued Dropleg pouches quite a bit, I feel that if I had to wear one, I would likely have the same issues as you Phil.

Does your Murse interfere with the rig (I believe its the MAV?) that you're running? When slung, do you have the bag riding on the side of your rig or below the rig on your hip?

I'll have to get the TCCC guys in my pl. take a look at your review.

Derek: Just to confirm: Being that this item is special order, should anyone else be interested in this pattern of bag, when speaking with ICE, the proper nomenclature for this bag to be referred to as is the "TCCC Shoulder Bag"?

St Michaels -  It does have a waist belt, you can see the tri glide buckle on the side where it attaches in one of the pics. I didnt mention it in the review because I found that I never used it. Like I said my rig holds it in place quite well, and the waist belt just slowed me down when I was slinging if forward.

Eric - I use something called the SOE MWR rig, somewhat similar to a 1 piece MAV. Basically I have this bag right behind me. It sits in between the two outer most pouches of the rig in the small of my back. The bag does not interfere at all, in fact I dont really notice that it is there, even when running.

Eric,

Just ask about the TCCC Murse ;D when you speak with Hobey the owner, or if you're talking to me, just say the Phil bag :D

Cheers,

Derek.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Put a waist belt on it as well as the shoulder sling, and you might have something there.

p.s.-nice purse.

Mate, you're just jealous because you know you want one :D

Just a point about field dressings, they are convenient but I wouldnt carry too many of them. Curlex and ace wraps take up less space and are more versatile than a field dressing.

Good looking bag though, seems to fit the role.

ooo! Follow-up question... (mostly directed at Derek again).

Them zippers look like they're sewn on upside-down (or inside-out). I normally see that with "water-resistant" zipper, but the zipper on this pouch is not water resistant. Any specific reason this was done, or was it just for a smoother look (or maybe to keep dirt out of the coil?)

Eric_911 said:
ooo! Follow-up question... (mostly directed at Derek again).

Them zippers look like they're sewn on upside-down (or inside-out). I normally see that with "water-resistant" zipper, but the zipper on this pouch is not water resistant. Any specific reason this was done, or was it just for a smoother look (or maybe to keep dirt out of the coil?)

Because we're HSLD ;) Naw, it's done this way because it looks good, and it does preserve the coil that much more. The boss came up with it for all our equipment after working at some other places. He thinks it's a good idea, and so do I :)

Well the functionality of the zipper would not be affected by installing it upside down, so why not? Aesthetically, it does looks better. (you could also argue that helps reduce glint from the sun  ;D )

Either way, great looking bag.

Eric_911 said:
Well the functionality of the zipper would not be affected by installing it upside down, so why not? Aesthetically, it does looks better. (you could also argue that helps reduce glint from the sun  ;D )

Either way, great looking bag.

LOL thanks.... you know what our secret is? Our zippers are all painted ;) it doesn't reflect anyways ;)

The problem with this is the term "Murse" is already taken:  Man Nurse, not Man Purse.  We've got a couple in KAF right now!

ParaMedTech said:
The problem with this is the term "Murse" is already taken:  Man Nurse, not Man Purse.  We've got a couple in KAF right now!

Oh... bah... Male Nurses... curse them!

Medurse then?

You could just call it "The Fabulouthly Thpeshiall Medicale Sholder Bag".

Or would that be a bit over the top (and long)?

MM

medicineman said:
You could just call it "The Fabulouthly Thpeshiall Medicale Sholder Bag".

Or would that be a bit over the top (and long)?

MM

Coffee EVERYWHERE!

And so, the FTMSB was born  ;D!

How about EMC?  - European Medical Carryall?  "It's not a purse.  It's European!"

The army always names things backwards so it would be something like:

Purse, Army Nurse, Sachel Item.    ;D

Does look handy though for certain application.

MedTech said:
Mate, you're just jealous because you know you want one :D

No thanks. I have several real bags....besides with carbine on left side, a pistol on right side leaves little place for a slung pouch to hang.

Back