• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Survey Says: Time for a New National War Monument?

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I can't find more details at the Historica Canada's page yet, but here's The Canadian Press' story on the polling:
A new poll suggests Canadians would like to see efforts to honour fallen soldiers extend well beyond Remembrance Day.

The study commissioned by Historica Canada found a vast majority of respondents would like to see a national monument to soldiers who died in combat in modern times.

About 76 per cent of them said they’d like to see a memorial similar to the United States’ Vietnam Wall, which lists the names of those who have died while serving in their country’s military.

The poll also found 86 per cent of those surveyed felt creating some sort of national monument should be part of Canada’s upcoming 150th birthday celebrations.

Survey respondents also emphasized the need for ongoing education on Canada’s military accomplishments, with 62 per cent saying Canada’s students are not learning enough about the country’s war-time efforts.

The finding comes despite a growing number of Canadian provinces emphasizing Canadian history as part of the middle or high school curriculum.

(...)

While people appreciate the hundreds of individual cenotaphs and memorials that exist, Wilson-Smith said there is a clear appetite for a single point at which to congregate and pay tribute to soldiers who fell in conflicts spanning the First World War to the more recent mission in Afghanistan.

(...)

The Ipsos online poll surveyed 1,004 participants between Oct. 20 and Oct. 24, then weighted the results to best reflect Canada’s adult population.

The polling industry’s professional body, the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, says online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error because they do not randomly sample the population.

Again, restore our VA pensions, house the Vet homeless, make access to care and meds easier, THEN, they can spend whatever they need to make themselves feel good. 

milnews.ca said:
....online surveys cannot be assigned a margin of error because they do not randomly sample the population.

So, an organization that exists to commemorate Canadian history commissions a poll that finds.... Canadians want money spent to commemorate Canadian history.  :stars:

I really hope that something big is going to come from this

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

JacobPayne17 said:
A new monument [emoji106]

I'm concerned about the lack of attention being paid to the San Juan Pig War, and the dangerous escalation of hostility between the super power to the south and poor little us..

In the spirit of equal time for the West Coast, I suggest we enshrine in our collective memory a national 'Pulled Pork' Day :)

JacobPayne17 said:
A new monument [emoji106]
OK, I'll bite ...  This would be an improvement over the current situation how, exactly?

The study commissioned by Historica Canada found a vast majority of respondents would like to see a national monument to soldiers who died in combat in modern times.
So, which war is lacking either a monument or the intent to create one?  If every conflict is covered with its own monument, then this is a proposal for a new monument to encompass every conflict over some undetermined, arbitrary period of time.

I don't like the idea that the National War Memorial is too old and that there needs to be a new modern National War Memorial to cover more recent times.  The very suggestion implies we are ready to demote the significance of Canadian sacrifices in the last century.  That implies we can someday later also demote the significance of he sacrifices represented by the "new" monument, when those who fought are dead and we are ready to forget and elevate the sacrifices of a future generation still higher.

The current War Memorial is perfect in its simplicity and dignity. There is NO need for a new one.

Let's sort out the issues of our wounded and injured first.

Back