• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Surface Warfare Officer badge

They are designations of ranks, not ranks. Per the National Defence Act, 21(2), as reflected in regulations under the QR&O, volume 1, chapter 3, article 3.01 and its associated table.

How can a substantive rank have the word acting in it?

Also what if an Acting Sub-Lieutenat was acting as a Sub-Lieutenat? Or what if a Naval Cadet was acting a rank up, would they be an Acting Acting Sub-Lieutenat?

You boat people are weird.

They never updated the NDA, just wait for the government to change for the Navy to revert back.
Naval ranks aren't in the NDA. You'll find unified ranks in the Schedule at the very bottom of the NDA.

IMHO, the RCAF should follow the Navy's example on that one and adopt the British air force ranks, but that's just me. One reason not to do it might be that it would be difficult to translate as, afaik, France never adopted distinctive air force ranks.

Naval ranks aren't in the NDA. You'll find unified ranks in the Schedule at the very bottom of the NDA.

IMHO, the RCAF should follow the Navy's example on that one and adopt the British air force ranks, but that's just me. One reason not to do it might be that it would be difficult to translate as, afaik, France never adopted distinctive air force ranks.
Why waste time and effort in changing our rank structure? What doesn’t work with the current one?

Why waste time and effort in changing our rank structure? What doesn’t work with the current one?
Because the former CRCN violated the law, the CAF has gone along with it, and we need to either regularize it or go back to obeying the law.

It's ahistorical and doesn't match the tradition laid down by the RAF or the distinct identity of the RCAF from the CA.

Do note I'm talking about the QR&O example which already provided for the development of distinct RCAF ranks, not the half-assed ways of the current Navy.

It's ahistorical and doesn't match the tradition laid down by the RAF or the distinct identity of the RCAF from the CA.

Do note I'm talking about the QR&O example which already provided for the development of distinct RCAF ranks, not the half-assed ways of the current Navy.
Sure, but in practical terms, what can’t we do because of our rank structure? Let’s be pragmatic.

Sure, but in practical terms, what can’t we do because of our rank structure? Let’s be pragmatic.
I doubt it'd be that resource intensive.

They did it for aviator and sailors without too much problem. (Except that they got the wrong policy level for the latter)

Aviator, as I recall, was introduced as part of the initial implementation of the amendments to the NDA that brought in NDA 21(2).

The RAF ranks would not easily transfer over to the RCAF; their air and ground trades don’t even use the same ranks in the NCM world.

I’d change the RCAF op dress ranks thread colour to pearl grey like our DEUs are and call it a day. The CAG and blue thread combo doesn’t work so well on the shoulder/flying clothing. I’ve said a few times, do the pearl grey thread for officers only so people know if they going to salute or not…

The RAF ranks would not easily transfer over to the RCAF; their air and ground trades don’t even use the same ranks in the NCM world.

I’d change the RCAF op dress ranks thread colour to pearl grey like our DEUs are and call it a day. The CAG and blue thread combo doesn’t work so well on the shoulder/flying clothing. I’ve said a few times, do the pearl grey thread for officers only so people know if they going to salute or not…

Alternatively, we could just drop saluting outside of ceremonies, and let everybody's rank be clearly visible...

Getting GiC approval is as ressource intensive. We’re talking months to years of multiple staff work (that would be better used working on other, more pressing issues).
I'm not saying it should be rushed either.

But at least throwing it on the plate would get it done some day! Instead of never.

It would have been easier if you (RCAF) had not adopted those miniature rank insignia that you place on the leather jacket. It was impossible to see who you were talking to, unless you were six inches away.

Back