• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Supply Tech - merged

Sup Techs go on virtually every deployment.  There's a wide variety of jobs that Sup Techs do, so as you progress through your career you'll get many different opportunities.

I just signed on as a supply tech and leave for bmq in a couple weeks. where do we go? what do you start out doing? are deployments common? what kind of equipment do we use? what other trades do we work with? how much can we learn? etc. I have read all the stuff on the forces site but I am looking for all the info I can get.

sckurtis said:
I just signed on as a supply tech and leave for bmq in a couple weeks. where do we go? what do you start out doing? are deployments common? what kind of equipment do we use? what other trades do we work with? how much can we learn? etc. I have read all the stuff on the forces site but I am looking for all the info I can get.

Your BMQ will be done in St Jean, Que.  Then your initial Supply trg will be done in Borden, Ont.

What you start out doing will differ depending on where your initial posting is.  Some places may be high tempo and encompass lots of field or sea time and other places may be quieter and more along the lines of a day job.

Deployments will come.  Be patient.  You have a ways to go before you get there.

Equipment ?  Trucks, forklifts, zoombooms, pallet jacks, your hands arms and back.  If you get to a Svc Btn you may get to work with the Mobile Laundry and Bath section and do some CBRN DCON stuff.

In the Army we work closely with Truckers and Traffic Techs, in the Navy the Engineering Dept is our biggest customer, but we deal allot with Traffic Techs there too.  RCAF I don't know I haven't worked their before.

How much you can learn is entirely based upon how much you want to learn.

I am now currently half way through my bmq (on the christmas break right now). I am wondering if supply techs go through the basic land course, and do we get issued weapons?

sckurtis said:
I am now currently half way through my bmq (on the christmas break right now). I am wondering if supply techs go through the basic land course, and do we get issued weapons?

If you are Army, than yes you will do BMQ-Land. If you are Air Force or Navy, no. 

As for having a weapon issued to you, that would depend on your posting following your trade course.  If you are not assigned a weapon, you may be given a random C7(or whatever) from the vault for training/ranges.

Hey everyone, I haven't really found this specific answer anywhere so I'm just wondering if Supply tech is a transferable trade to civilian jobs.. On the forces website it says it transfers over to Warehouse management and such, just wondering if anyone knows of anyone that found something related when they got out? I'm looking at this long term and I'm not particularly interested into going into a trade (ie vehicle tech) I'm currently an Infantry Reservist of 3 years now and I've been considering this trade & Along with Financial Admin, however it currently isn't open to transfer into. I'm looking for something that potentially has backup careers if full time isn't for me. I personally enjoy the infantry but I don't want to be doing it full time by any means and I've heard Supply techs are one of the first to help out people in need on deployments and I enjoy being able to help others hence why I want to go into a support trade. My buddy went into rigger recently and loves it. Want to know why other people love it also. but I'd like some light shed on if there really is opportunity outside of the forces In the case i decide it isn't for me down the road. Also curious how often you guys get

1) Deployments and;
2)How often you're away from base as opposed to living on.
3) What you love about the job

Any light shed on other service trades and them being transferable would be appreciated. I have considered going into a trade trade but this is not ideally what I want to do. Everyone bashes on support trades in the infantry but i hear they are a good go. I'd like the 2 cents of everyone on this. If there is an issue with this being somewhere else I apologize in advance, as I did not find this exact question in regards to transferability out of the military.  Open to other careers that may provide something outside of it also. If the answer is no yes I will go looking towards potentially a tech trade.

Jstewart99 said:
Hey everyone, I haven't really found this specific answer anywhere so I'm just wondering if Supply tech is a transferable trade to civilian jobs.. On the forces website it says it transfers over to Warehouse management and such, just wondering if anyone knows of anyone that found something related when they got out? I'm looking at this long term and I'm not particularly interested into going into a trade (ie vehicle tech) I'm currently an Infantry Reservist of 3 years now and I've been considering this trade & Along with Financial Admin, however it currently isn't open to transfer into. I'm looking for something that potentially has backup careers if full time isn't for me. I personally enjoy the infantry but I don't want to be doing it full time by any means and I've heard Supply techs are one of the first to help out people in need on deployments and I enjoy being able to help others hence why I want to go into a support trade. My buddy went into rigger recently and loves it. Want to know why other people love it also. but I'd like some light shed on if there really is opportunity outside of the forces In the case i decide it isn't for me down the road. Also curious how often you guys get

1) Deployments and;
2)How often you're away from base as opposed to living on.

Any light shed on other service trades and them being transferable would be appreciated. I have considered going into a trade trade but this is not ideally what I want to do. Everyone bashes on support trades in the infantry but i hear they are a good go. I'd like the 2 cents of everyone on this. If there is an issue with this being somewhere else I apologize in advance, as I did not find this exact question in regards to transferability out of the military.  Open to other careers that may provide something outside of it also. If the answer is no yes I will go looking towards potentially a tech trade.

Hey there,

I am a currently serving PO1 (CA/RCAF WO) Supply Tech, I may be able to help you a bit. 

First off, I love my job.  I love being a Storesman.  The impact I have on all activities is astounding and I love the responsibility of being the ships Senior Storesman very much, from a professional and leadership stance. 

Most of us who retire end up working within DND as a public servant or in a private company that is very closely connected to the Canadian Forces Supply System (CFSS).  This has allot to do with out adaptation of  SAP (DRMIS) as our Supply and Maintenance records system.  It is used world wide and the ability to use SAP is in high demand in the private sector.

1) Deployments

- This has less to do with being a Sup Tech and more with where you are posted.  Like HRA/FSA Clerks, we are everywhere.  My personal career has taken me from a Clothing Stores working a day job at CFB Kingston as a OS, to sailing all over the world on HMC Ships, to spending 6 months at the Panjway District Center as the CQ for a small group of Canadian soldiers; and now I am in charge of ensuring one of our frigates is fully stored and provisioned as we have just come out of refit and are heading towards another deployment.  Again it has everything to do with where you are posted.  We can be a 8-4 day/garrison occupation or we can be a go go go, high tempo, operationally focused occupation. 

- I have never been a Packer/Rigger so I cannot comment on that facet of my trade.

2)How often you're away from base as opposed to living on

- See post above.  It depends on what unit you belong too my friend. 

- The variations we have and how much of a operational impact we have.  Its my belief that no CSS trade has more operational impact than Supply. 

Back