• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Summer Camp

brianl1734

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a Corporal in air cadets. This summer I'm going to Sports and Fitness... I'm just wondering if anyone else is going in late July which I believe is intake 2. Also, does anyone know how much money you make from staffing at GT?

Thanks,
Brian

Quick question:
After GT, do air cadets go to the same training camps as army and sea?

Thanks,
Brian

Being a former staff cadet (last summer) at ACSTC Argonaut who staffed GT-Land, here is what I know: As a Sgt I made $77 a day I believe and I was there for 7 weeks being paid 6 days a week, $77X6X7=3234 , now there was Warrant Officers and a Master Warrent Officer for the company, who made more flow but I enjoyed being a Sgt.

For 3rd year 6 week courses there has been cadets from all elements training at ACSTC Argonaut for the past 3 years. I would talk to your units training officer and your platoon / flight officer at camp about doing your 3rd year course at another CSTC.

For staff at Blackdown specifically. You staff for 7 weeks, with the first week being pre-course. For Pre-course everybody gets paid as a MCpl/Flight Corporal. At the end of that week you get your promos to you respective ranks. Sgt= $76-77, WO/FSgt=$80, MWO/WO2= $85, and they blacked out the RSM's pay but it was close to $90 if not above. For certain jobs you get danger pay which is an extra $10 a week, these jobs are generally all Support Staff jobs such as QM, Range NCO, Rope and Traverse Tech, life guards etc. TBH don't aim for staff just for the money, it's a great learning and training experience, and you're going to make life Long friends on course.

Bomb Disposal Bob said:
For staff at Blackdown specifically. You staff for 7 weeks, with the first week being pre-course. For Pre-course everybody gets paid as a MCpl/Flight Corporal. At the end of that week you get your promos to you respective ranks. Sgt= $76-77, WO/FSgt=$80, MWO/WO2= $85, and they blacked out the RSM's pay but it was close to $90 if not above. For certain jobs you get danger pay which is an extra $10 a week, these jobs are generally all Support Staff jobs such as QM, Range NCO, Rope and Traverse Tech, life guards etc. TBH don't aim for staff just for the money, it's a great learning and training experience, and you're going to make life Long friends on course.

There's no danger pay for staff cadets. Get your facts right.

PrairieThunder said:
You can offer correction without immediately jumping all over the poster,  no need to hit the "grumpy" button right away.

PrairieThunder said:

While your point about danger pay may or may not be right, the rest of Bomb Disposal Bob's post was pretty bang on. He made an especially good point about not going just for the pay, but for the job. Cut him some slack.

PrairieThunder said:

Well my friends who worked in QM and on the training range got a $10 "danger pay" whether it is officially called danger pay is beyond me, but they got a bonus because of the nature of their work.

Hey guys, thanks for the information. I'll probably try to staff next year or so. I don't really care what position I get because I just want to have fun and gain experience.

Thanks,
Brian

brianl1734 said:
Hey guys, thanks for the information. I'll probably try to staff next year or so. I don't really care what position I get because I just want to have fun and gain experience.

Thanks,
Brian

That's the spirit Brian, you're young and able... go hard, enjoy yourself and most of all have fun.! 

Being a staff cadet was an amazing leadership experience. Im positive I'm a far better leader today because of it, and was far more comfortable on PLQ and as a young leader than most of my peers. And that was because of having been a staff cadet three years in a row.

Cadets aren't held to the Code of Service Discipline, so it means you have to be a true leader, and find what motivates them. In the army some leaders are to quick to threaten to extras or charge someone when they don't have a good leadership style. Since you can't use those threats, it will force you to use your head.

Good luck next year

krustyrl said:
That's the spirit Brian, you're young and able... go hard, enjoy yourself and most of all have fun.!

I really can't tell if that's sarcastic or not. By the way guys, I just had my last cadet dinner for the year and won Top Cadet and Top Junior NCO!  ;D

No sarcasm there, I was an Army Cadet for the longest time. Met some awesome people, many are still friends to this day.  Did some amazing things that when exchanging summer stories upon return to school,  many non-cadet friends were envious. This was back in the mid 70's .

I say have as much fun as you can as they will make great memories later.

Wow! Thank you so much krustyrl! I have many great cadet memories and I'm sure staffing will be a great one! Thanks for sharing your experience with staffing.

Thanks,
Brian :D

HULK_001: Thanks for the descriptive answer haha! I'm sure that I'll gain great leadership skills from staffing! Staffing should be a pretty great experience. When cadets starts up again, I'll make sure to staff for all the level one survival exercises!

Thanks,
Brian

Staffing at GT is 6 weeks CSM makes 12k warrants make 10k and Sgts. make 7k for the whole 6 weeks.

RoyalCG said:
Staffing at GT is 6 weeks CSM makes 12k warrants make 10k and Sgts. make 7k for the whole 6 weeks.

CSMs make 12 thousand in six weeks? How do I join?

RoyalCG said:

Not even close.

MCpls make about $4000, Sgts approx $4200, WOs $4500, MWO/CWO $4800.

Figures are only an approximation of rates as of 01 April 2012.

Back