• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Suggestion for Coyotes

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
A friend of mine wants to pick up a rifle for Coyotes. I'm not sure what to suggest.  Can someone suggest a good rifle and caliber for hunting Coyotes? 

Make sure he has the proper licenses, including township ones if needed. Many townships also have limits on the size of caliber that can be used in their area. ie: Many places won't let you use over a .270.

Anything in the .222 to .270 range is sufficient and that gives you lots of options. A .243 Winchester will upset a yote real good.

Copy last pvt pm .  Apology sent and hopefully accepted.
Scoty B

Seconded on .243 win... flies far, fast, and flat.

Cheapest would be just a plain old .22. A .243 win is also a good option for a little more oomph, and a .22-250 is also a popular varmint choice. A .270 will be more than enough and have the added bonus of being a decent deer round if he ever wants to go for that as well.

Great thank you.

I think I'll suggest a .270 or .243
Any recommendations on a make and model?  It's been a while since I've been up to date on long rifles.

Got a budget? Makes it easier to offer a suggestion.

A Weatherby Vanguard is ugly and cheap (~$500), but will certainly do the job w/ an equally cheap and ugly Bushnell 3200 (~$250 - $500) on it. Shoot off a pack and save yourself the cost of a bipod to boot.

Moving upwards, you're getting into Savages and Remingtons and... the sky's the limit. Price is the defining limit.

DexOlesa said:
Cheapest would be just a plain old .22. A .243 win is also a good option for a little more oomph, and a .22-250 is also a popular varmint choice. A .270 will be more than enough and have the added bonus of being a decent deer round if he ever wants to go for that as well.

.22 rimfire is not suitable for shooting yotes. While they may be a pest, they don't deserve to suffer a lingering death somewhere in the bush where they eventually succumb to internal bleeding.

Go with any of the centrefires in the .200 - .300 range that the township allows. Check out used stuff from Mossberg, Remington or Winchester. You might even be able to find a single shot New England Firearms rifle if you look hard enough. Marstar sells new and used. Gunnutz and CdnGunslingers have E&E forums as well as Gun Addicts.com http://gunaddicts.com/ which is a buy, sell, trade site.

.243 is a good option, but .223 is another popular varminter round.

Down-side to .223 is that some provinces (Nova Scotia among them) don't allow it to be used during deer season.

I suggest perusing the laws of the province that your friend abides in, and review the firearms/calibers that may or may not be restricted for use.

Personally, my new hunting rifle is one of the new build AIA (Aussie designed) #4 Enfields, only mine is in 7.62x39mm, feeds from AK mags, and is based on the #5 Jungle Carbine. 

It won't be here for this season, but next season....look out!

IMG_3572.jpg

NS

recceguy said:
.22 rimfire is not suitable for shooting yotes. While they may be a pest, they don't deserve to suffer a lingering death somewhere in the bush where they eventually succumb to internal bleeding.

Go with any of the centrefires in the .200 - .300 range that the township allows. Check out used stuff from Mossberg, Remington or Winchester. You might even be able to find a single shot New England Firearms rifle if you look hard enough. Marstar sells new and used. Gunnutz and CdnGunslingers have E&E forums as well as Gun Addicts.com http://gunaddicts.com/ which is a buy, sell, trade site.

I would have to disagree especially since it's one of the suggested rounds in my province

The holder of a varmint licence shall only hunt with one of the following:
A rim-fire or centre-fire rifle of less than .23 calibre.
A muzzle loader.
A shotgun with lead shot no larger than size BB or steel shot no larger than size F.
A bow.

I second the advice of checking the local regs, as even though a .270 works well in NB its not allowed for Varmint hunting.

DexOlesa said:
I would have to disagree especially since it's one of the suggested rounds in my province

The holder of a varmint licence shall only hunt with one of the following:
A rim-fire or centre-fire rifle of less than .23 calibre.
A muzzle loader.
A shotgun with lead shot no larger than size BB or steel shot no larger than size F.
A bow.

I second the advice of checking the local regs, as even though a .270 works well in NB its not allowed for Varmint hunting.

For prairie dogs, sure, but for coyotes, I would have to disagree as per the above post. For sub-.23 calibre, there are cartridges superior to .22 LR for hunting coyotes - .223 or even .22 WMR will do the job more humanely and with less drama.

.22 rimfire is not suitable for shooting yotes

+1 

Illegio - a .22 rimfire might be legal for coyotes but in this case, I would not recommend it.

Predator hunting is pretty popular here and the most common calibres are .223  .22-250  .243  .204  .220 Swift for coyotes.

Weatherby, Savage, Winchester and Remington all make decent "entry-level" rifles, often paired with a factory scope for a decent price. Howas and Tikkas are popular here as well.

Strangely, my wife went with the "buy a house on a hill" idea....she liked the view.

I like the "no flood gonna touch me" and the "good fields of fire" options that came free with the view...

:)

NS

Don't overlook a 25-06.
Flat shooting & more than power enough for deer with heavier bullets.
Excellent round for varmints with the lighter bullets.

A friend of mine here in Kingston (On) uses a 22-250 and managed to takeout 11 Willies in one day. Longest shot was 600 + yds.

Back