• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strathcona County RCMP officer dies in collision northeast of Edmonton

Damn. 😔

RIP Cst. Dhami. 🇨🇦

Word going around is he was called to back up another officer and was moving to get there.

May he rest in peace. What a terrible year for policing in Canada.

Media is reporting that the call was a "noise complaint". May or may not be accurate, but I have often wondered (particularly within the OPP with which I'm more familiar) how much reduced staffing and enlarged detachment areas are having on member safety and collision rates. Racing from call-to-call, especially in rural detachments where distances are greater, can have its costs. We don't know the facts or conditions, but if it was, in fact, just a noise complaint, what's the rush?

Media is reporting that the call was a "noise complaint". May or may not be accurate, but I have often wondered (particularly within the OPP with which I'm more familiar) how much reduced staffing and enlarged detachment areas are having on member safety and collision rates. Racing from call-to-call, especially in rural detachments where distances are greater, can have its costs. We don't know the facts or conditions, but if it was, in fact, just a noise complaint, what's the rush?
Maybe the original call was that. I trust what I’ve heard, that he was headed to back up another member.

Given the time - around 5:30 if I read it right - he was probably at the tail end of a night shift and they were probably at their absolute thinnest on the road.

I was at that regimental funeral yesterday, also. Too many of these, nationwide, over the last year!

Policing is an inherently dangerous profession, but one that offers the most potential job satisfaction of any career I can think of. Whether it’s proactive policing & preventing accidents or crimes from taking place (including serious crimes that don’t end up happening, protecting the public from the consequences of that) - to helping people in the community who are in crisis & need a professional, well trained person with resources at their disposal to help them, to reuniting people with stolen property, or taking genuine scumbags off the streets (in theory, for a while) — policing can be rewarding, but had it’s obvious dangers.

Harvey’s funeral (I know this will come out wrong) - but his funeral felt far less heavy than our 2 EPS constables services from a month ago.

Still sad, and left before his time - but I think the energy at the reception was that which he would have preferred under the circumstances. Far less heavy than the previous service.

The Detachment Commander gave a great speech (she seems like one cool woman I have to say) and motor vehicle accidents DO happen, even in ‘sleepy Strathcona county’ (which isn’t as sleepy as it seems on the surface)

Anyways, my whole point in writing this is…

STAY SAFE GUYS & GALS. I know this may sound woefully unimpactful from some guy on the internet, but remind yourself today - complacency kills.

Traffic accidents happen even on the best of days, slow down & watch those crossroads.

Letting your guard down is the fastest way to get yourself in a situation you don’t wanna be in & shouldn’t be in.

You may not have let complacency put you in a bind, doesn’t mean another officer won’t make that mistake & be reminded the hard way of why things are done the way they are…support each other, be gentle with your words about each other, mind your own business & don’t partake in gossip or nonsense.

Over the last year we’ve lost a lot of good first responders - either in the job, suicide, or just done with it all & ready to move on.

This last year was an especially violent one, and I personally don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Stay safe!

I was at that regimental funeral yesterday, also. Too many of these, nationwide, over the last year!

Policing is an inherently dangerous profession, but one that offers the most potential job satisfaction of any career I can think of. Whether it’s proactive policing & preventing accidents or crimes from taking place (including serious crimes that don’t end up happening, protecting the public from the consequences of that) - to helping people in the community who are in crisis & need a professional, well trained person with resources at their disposal to help them, to reuniting people with stolen property, or taking genuine scumbags off the streets (in theory, for a while) — policing can be rewarding, but had it’s obvious dangers.

Harvey’s funeral (I know this will come out wrong) - but his funeral felt far less heavy than our 2 EPS constables services from a month ago.

Still sad, and left before his time - but I think the energy at the reception was that which he would have preferred under the circumstances. Far less heavy than the previous service.

The Detachment Commander gave a great speech (she seems like one cool woman I have to say) and motor vehicle accidents DO happen, even in ‘sleepy Strathcona county’ (which isn’t as sleepy as it seems on the surface)

Anyways, my whole point in writing this is…

STAY SAFE GUYS & GALS. I know this may sound woefully unimpactful from some guy on the internet, but remind yourself today - complacency kills.

Traffic accidents happen even on the best of days, slow down & watch those crossroads.

Letting your guard down is the fastest way to get yourself in a situation you don’t wanna be in & shouldn’t be in.

You may not have let complacency put you in a bind, doesn’t mean another officer won’t make that mistake & be reminded the hard way of why things are done the way they are…support each other, be gentle with your words about each other, mind your own business & don’t partake in gossip or nonsense.

Over the last year we’ve lost a lot of good first responders - either in the job, suicide, or just done with it all & ready to move on.

This last year was an especially violent one, and I personally don’t see it changing anytime soon.

Stay safe!
I Agree with your comment.

Back