• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Status on Victoria-class Submarines?

Dimsum said:
Or, like the way the USN, RAAF, RNZAF, ROKN, JMSDF... used them. 

We're one of the few militaries with P-3 variants that don't have armament on the wings.

Yes I heard that planes had the hardpoints for them but were removed and due to wing warping they cannot be installed easily, pity if that's true.

Chief Engineer said:
Yes I heard that planes had the hardpoints for them but were removed and due to wing warping they cannot be installed easily, pity if that's true.

I can't speak for the entire fleet, but I've seen the hardpoints installed on Canadian 140s in the recent (last 5 years) past.  Not sure if the warping issue was dealt with during ASLEP.

But...we're deviating off track a wee bit I think.

Eye In The Sky said:
I can't speak for the entire fleet, but I've seen the hardpoints installed on Canadian 140s in the recent (last 5 years) past.  Not sure if the warping issue was dealt with during ASLEP.

But...we're deviating off track a wee bit I think.

Agreed

Not taking away from the CP-140's.  Amazing and exciting upgrades.  I'm a huge fan of the new capabilities.  However, it is important to differentiate (for the non navy/airforce types) between catching a sub on EX vs in the wild so to speak.  When you know there is a sub, the area to look for it is limited, and in some cases, the mission profile of the sub (you can extrapolate based on the exercise) the submarine loses its strategic surprise/initiative, which is probably its most important trait.  This is generally what happens in an exercise.

If you don't know a sub is there, what it is doing and haven't had a sniff it's very hard.  That's why submarines are strategic weapons.

Underway said:
Not taking away from the CP-140's.  Amazing and exciting upgrades.  I'm a huge fan of the new capabilities.  However, it is important to differentiate (for the non navy/airforce types) between catching a sub on EX vs in the wild so to speak.  When you know there is a sub, the area to look for it is limited, and in some cases, the mission profile of the sub (you can extrapolate based on the exercise) the submarine loses its strategic surprise/initiative, which is probably its most important trait.  This is generally what happens in an exercise.

If you don't know a sub is there, what it is doing and haven't had a sniff it's very hard.  That's why submarines are strategic weapons.

You aren’t wrong.

Although the CP-140 has, on more than one occasion (in a non-exercise environment), gotten things back on track. As you know, we usually have a good idea where the bad guys are, quite often that’s enough to generate contact. NATO does a decent job of keeping Ivan honest.

The assets we use to keep tabs submarines is astounding, they are the ultimate war machine. Which is why the Victoria is very relevant.

HMCS Windsor has undocked:

hG35T3r.jpg

DrcR9Ya.jpg

Xhht3Hz.jpg

elS4qYT.jpg

1gTCpNu.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Maritime.Forces.Pacific/posts/3539655252735124

https://twitter.com/MARPAC_FMARP/status/1291771967545081857

https://twitter.com/Hawkins_Sailor/status/1291685030004236291

https://twitter.com/Hawkins_Sailor/status/1291750772405927937

New batteries for the subs

https://asiapacificdefencereporter.com/pmb-defence-wins-contract-for-canadian-subs/

Eye In The Sky said:
I welcome any spending of $$ on keeping our SSKs capable!

Yes we may need them sooner than expected. I hope to see another couple of long deployments again. Really pisses me off when they get slagged for everything that went wrong and then those same people have no idea what they have done since.

Sea trials continue HMCS Victoria

https://www.facebook.com/notes/royal-canadian-navy/hmcs-victoria-returns-to-sea-stronger-than-ever-with-new-battery-and-sonar/10158825265588270

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canadian-navy-submarine-docked-extra-year-after-leak-found-1.5240329

Another set back, this time mistakes by the contractor

War Zone picking up the story too.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/38369/the-saga-of-this-long-busted-submarine-is-an-example-of-how-sad-canadas-tiny-sub-fleet-is

HMCS Corner Brooks damage to her ballast tank determined to be Beyond economical repair. That is a heavy risk to assume depending on the damage. If she can't sail again safefy she might become a training ship.

Conclusion of a piece at the excellent US site, The Drive's "War Zone"--good luck with any government finding the money to buy replacements any time in the foreseeable future, what with CSC and new fighter:

Canadian Submarine Bedeviled By Accidents For A Decade Is Finally Back In The Water​

Canada’s tiny submarine fleet has been in sad shape for years. Now with the return of HMCS Corner Brook that could start to change.​

The COVID-19 pandemic further complicated things and, although Victoria returned to the fleet last September, Corner Brook faced more delays. As of April this year, both Windsor and Victoria were in the water undergoing post-work testing, suggesting the program may, finally, have turned a corner. There seems to be some uncertainty when work on Chicoutimi might be completed, however, evidenced by the RCN’s stated aim of “having three of four submarines” back in service in the near-term.

That aspiration might also be challenged by the age of the submarines, with the oldest, Victoria, due to reach the end of its planned service life next year. A life-extension program costing roughly $1.5 billion would be required to keep the class active into the late 2030s or early 2040s. While that may not sound such a lot, it’s a significant figure in a country where annual defense spending for 2019-20 was estimated at around $26.5 billion, total. The life-extension program would equate to more than 5 percent of the entire defense budget.

It wouldn’t be altogether surprising if the Canadian government decides the funds for submarine life-extension could be better spent elsewhere. Regardless, Canada has already invested more than a billion dollars in the submarines in the past 20 years, with very little return so far. Submarines are also not the only area where Canada is struggling to modernize, with the saga of acquiring new fighter jets another prominent big-ticket example.

The RCN’s requirement for a submarine of any kind is meanwhile clear, with the strategic importance of the nearby Arctic region steadily growing and with highly advanced Russian submarines increasingly active in the North Atlantic. The result has been a revival of submarine and anti-submarine warfare across NATO, something that Canada is keenly aware of. That said, just four submarines for a country like Canada with maritime interests in the Atlantic, the Pacific, and the Arctic, as well as responsibilities as part of NATO, is an extremely small force — even if they do all work.

That Ottawa is willing to invest in high-end naval capabilities is clear by looking at its ambitious next-generation frigates, based on the British Type 26 design, which will be among the most heavily armed warships of their size.

It remains to be seen whether Canada will opt to persist with its trouble-prone Victoria class or if it will decide to invest in a new design offering better reliability and capabilities, although, so far, there doesn’t appear to be any active movements toward acquiring new submarines. Once the RCN finally has three subs back in regular service, the defense ministry might be better able to make a decision on that front.

message-editor%2F1623687514660-hmcscornerbrookbarge.jpeg

Royal Canadian Navy

HMCS Corner Brook transported on the lift barge Seaspan Careen.

Mark
Ottawa

We could slowly phase them out and bring in a new class of subs concurrently. Move the Victoria's to one coast and start the new Class on the other. If we bought into someone else build we could either alternate new builds if there are no changes or have ours tacked on near the end of their build program. The Taigei-Class look quite promising, although I suspect we would want US designed weapon systems.
Another option is to buy the Soryu class subs used from the Japanese, although they will generate the same "Used sub debacle" stories.

Back