• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Stamped Shell

RubberTree

Reaction score
I figured this would be the best place to find an answer to this. I picked this up in Halifax yesterday and am trying to figure out what all the stamps actually mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated. From what I can tell, it is a 105mm shell but that is just from my simple googling...
Thanks in advance folks...
RT

Not a shell, it is a cartridge case.

Looks like 4" British Naval, depending on how long it is.  The broad arrow means it was taken into service, N means Naval, C means cordite filled, F means 1 full charge, RL is the manufacturer (Royal Laboratories Woolich I believe), 18 is probably the year of manufacture, and 1909 the lot, I means a Mk I cartridge case.

If it is 4" the rim of the case should be around 142mm and the mouth around 102mm

Thanks AmmoTech! That's great. The base is 4" wide so I guess you hit the nail on the head. I appreciate the info.
I'm having trouble finding anything naval with MK I related to it. Can you suggest any search terms so I can get a picture of what was used to fire this thing?
Thanks again,
RT

It's a Mk I cartridge case.  Is the mouth 4" wide or is the the rim (the flange bit that makes up the closed bottom)?  If it hasn't been cut down it should be around 19 inches long.

The gun was: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_4_inch_naval_gun_Mk_I_-_III or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_4_inch_naval_gun_Mk_IV,_XII,_XXII

The flange at the bottom measures 4". The mouth is 3 1/8" and the height is 15 1/2" total (15" to the "soldered" lip seen in the picture) I don't think it has been cut down but to be honest I don't know enough about it to tell for sure. I have seen some online that are slightly tapered as mine is and others that are aggressively tapered at the top. I hope it is its original size but either way, I think it is a cool piece of memorabilia, made even cooler now that I know what it is. After a day's worth of cleaning, fine sanding and polishing, I can see the brass and it finally actually has a bit of a shine to it...which is nice as well.
Thanks again for the info guys. Anything else that comes to mind I'd love to hear it.
RT

Ah,

Given those dimensions I'll change my guess to 12 Pounder.  This was a 3" or 76mm round.  Used in a couple of guns, the most common was the 12 cwt (12 hundred weight), this was the weight of the ordnance.

Back