• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Service Medal - Domestic Operations Bar

Pop down to recipients to see its tilt. I believe the military personnel are CIC

Im Pretty sure giving a medal for domestic operations fits perfectly into the photo op agenda though. And it’s a medal for non military stuff. Double win for these ten ply governments
I don’t think it’s fair to call DOMOPS “non-military”. The military does what the civil government assigns it to do, and sometimes the military brings capabilities that makes it uniquely capable for certain roles in major emergencies or crises. It’s a bit of a kick in the dick to the troops going out and doing that work - in uniform and with the flag on their shoulders - to cut that work down as if it’s somehow less worthy.

The only work that’s worthy is “military” work?

Adjust fire. I was trying to support the troops lawyer.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Ranger Bar for the SSM you can get after 3 or 4 ranger exercises.

Choose your own kit, vote on your ranks, no accountability, and spotlight trips to the PMs residence..... sounds like a sweet gig!

I don’t think it’s fair to call DOMOPS “non-military”. The military does what the civil government assigns it to do, and sometimes the military brings capabilities that makes it uniquely capable for certain roles in major emergencies or crises. It’s a bit of a kick in the dick to the troops going out and doing that work - in uniform and with the flag on their shoulders - to cut that work down as if it’s somehow less worthy.
Often times that capability is a huge number of reasonably fit bodies to move things.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Ranger Bar for the SSM you can get after 3 or 4 ranger exercises.

Choose your own kit, vote on your ranks, no accountability, and spotlight trips to the PMs residence..... sounds like a sweet gig!
You could at least try to use facts...

We do. For scientists
Not necessarily. 2 military members were awarded it in 2016, and one military member was awarded it in 2015.

Also, from the description, I guess HDW's crossing may count?

Individuals who have provided outstanding service in support of scientific research and/or polar exploration relating to Canada or to Canadian interests will be eligible for recognition, whether their work concerns the North or South poles.

As well, candidates whose achievements contribute to preserving northern culture and heritage, or to securing Canada’s northern sovereignty, may also qualify for the award.

The Polar Medal is awarded in recognition of contributions made on or after August 1, 2009.

Two of those military members are CIC and got it for cultural preservation. Im not familiar with the third,

I was down the road with that medal a few years ago with nominations for Military and RCMP up there, because they “technically” qualified. But they are very specific about what “sovereignty” and polar security operations are, and it’s not anything any of us are doing

The PO received it for work on the Erebus wreck. So for science- not MILITARY work. So because it was for science it’s also important to note that it’s not “worthy” because it’s not military,

Two of those military members are CIC and got it for cultural preservation. Im not familiar with the third,

I was down the road with that medal a few years ago with nominations for Military and RCMP up there, because they “technically” qualified. But they are very specific about what “sovereignty” and polar security operations are, and it’s not anything any of us are doing
A friend of mine had been pushing for the medal based on support to the NWS, but it went nowhere.

BTW, I envisioned that this would be available to award to first responders as well as the military.

I had not read the petition in the original post when I commented . I just did now.

There is no mention of municipal Emergency Services in the petition.

I do not believe there should be. Just my opinion.

I wouldn't mind signing the petition for military folks to receive medals.

Often times that capability is a huge number of reasonably fit bodies to move things.
Bodies are easy to get. I think what the military really brings to the table are organic logistics, medical, and C2. CAF has to ability to bring everything it needs to self-sustain while it taps into regional infrastructure and supply chains. Radios, rations, cots, mod tent, trucks, material handling equipment… Everything needed to keep those bodies working for a sustained period.

If the CAF members gets a medal for three weeks on the fire line in north Saskatchewan, do we also give medals to members of the wildfire fighting teams that flew in for five weeks from BC and Australia? What about the local crew from LaRonge who worked the line all summer?

Canada's five HUSAR Task Forces might also be considered for medals.

If the CAF members gets a medal for three weeks on the fire line in north Saskatchewan, do we also give medals to members of the wildfire fighting teams that flew in for five weeks from BC and Australia? What about the local crew from LaRonge who worked the line all summer?

Are they serving with the CAF or under the command of a CAF organization?

If I understand the petition in the original post correctly, only CAF members would be eligible for medals. So, that would eliminate HUSAR, and any other non-CAF people.

think you'd really have to consider what deploying in exceptional circumstances means.

Wildfire teams are doing their standard job when fighting fires in Canada, but going to another country to fight fire is something that should be recognized. I'm not sure it's a CAF problem to solve, but a firefighter/first responder version of an OSM isn't unreasonable. I'm sure the Urban SAR teams from across the country who go all over the world to save lives should get something too, but again, it isn't a CAF problem to solve.

When we re talking all this firefighting and wildland stuff- their service in the burning bush counts towards the fire exemplary service medal- so it is captured duty. It just takes 20 years of it.

Back