• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Special Service Medal - Domestic Operations Bar

LJ15

Inactive
Reaction score
Petition e-4321 (National defence and military operations) has been published and is open for signature at this address. Petition e-4321 - Petitions

Petition to the Associate Minister of National Defence

Whereas:

Members of the Canadian Armed Forces deploy annually on Operations Palaci, Lentus, and more recently, Operation laser;

It is important to find timely and relevant ways to recognize the commitment to duty, sacrifice, and effort of our members;

The Special Service Medal was created to recognize members of the Canadian Armed Forces who take part in activities and operations under exceptional circumstances. Prolonged periods of service in adverse conditions of potential avalanches, or the flooded and fire-ravaged areas of Canada, or risking potential infection by working on COVID wards or long-term care homes, are exceptional circumstances that are worthy of consideration for this award;

The addition of a Domestic Operations bar to the existing Special Service Medal would provide a way to recognize our hard-working Canadian Armed Forces members who deploy into adverse conditions every year;

The Special Service Medal with DomOps bar could be awarded for a period of time comparable to the existing operational service medal requirements, while actively employed on one of the current domestic operations, and for domestic operations of a similar nature that may arise in the future; and

This award would affirm to members of the Canadian Armed Forces that we recognize their commitment, while at the same time fostering esprit de corps and aiding in retention.

We, the undersigned, Citizens and Residents of Canada, call upon the Associate Minister of National Defence to propose the addition of a Domestic Operations bar to the existing Special Service Medal in order to provide a way to recognize our hard-working Canadian Armed Forces members who deploy into adverse conditions every year.

Note for currently serving members
QR&O 19.10 - COMBINATIONS FORBIDDEN
No officer or non-commissioned member shall without authority:
a. combine with other members for the purpose of bringing about alterations in existing regulations for the Canadian Forces;
b. sign with other members memorials, petitions or applications relating to the Canadian Forces; or
c. obtain or solicit signatures for memorials, petitions or applications relating to the Canadian Forces.

- mod edit to fix thread title spelling -

Last edited by a moderator:
I can almost understand why OPs LENTUS and LASER would warrant recognition, but PALACI?

The whole point is not to be in an adverse condition by pre-emptively causing the avalanche, or am I mistaken?

I can almost understand why OPs LENTUS and LASER would warrant recognition, but PALACI?

The whole point is not to be in an adverse condition by pre-emptively causing the avalanche, or am I mistaken?
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

We continually talk here about how hard it is give proper recognition to our deserving folks. How we've reverted, in many cases, to coins.

Why not some sort of recognition for named domestic operations ?

Be it a bar on the SSM or some other medal, I see no issue with providing that recognition.

I mean, Jesus, what do you need now for a rotation bar or medal, 14 days.

No.

Hell no.
I'm not opposed to a domestic operations service medal, but not as a bar for the SSM.

Why not? A bar to SSM is probably the perfect way to do this.

We recognized members on deployed operations. We have various versions of GCS, GSM, OSM, or NATO/UN medals for this. Some of these deployments are full on war fighting. Some of them are sitting in an air conditioned HQ in Tampa. Some are doing boardings in the straits of Malacca. Some are running a Third Location Decompression centre. The underlying principle is recognizing deployed operations. Each of these medals is defined by its criteria for overseas operations, so they cannot recognize DOMOPS.

We separately recognize “service in exceptional circumstances” with the SSM. We have bars for deploying to and training in Eastern Europe, not in a theatre of hostilities or active combat. We have a bar for working in Alert. We have a bar for doing Ranger patrols in remote areas of Canada. We have a bar for doing humanitarian work. All of these are worthy enough of recognizing.

So, why not DOMOPS? Is there anything less worthy of recognition for cumulative service fighting wildfires, working floods, providing armed CAF presence to major security events, or providing support to pandemic medical care? Some of these deployments physically suck more, or are more dangerous, or take more out of the members than other things that have existing honours and recognition. So why sustain a status quo that basically says we see these domestic deployments as less meaningful or worthy of recognition than others? A DOMOPS bar for the SSM would be a perfect fit and wouldn’t require creating anything new or altering existing criteria.

Finally, pure pragmatism, such recognition would also open a door for messaging external to CAF, letting Canadians see CAF members being recognized for serving and protecting Canadians and Canadian interests here at home. That’s not a bad thing.

I have no skin in the game. I’m out, and my own DOMOPS time would be insufficient to qualify for anything, so I’m not pushing for my own shiny here.

We recognized members on deployed operations. We have various versions of GCS, GSM, OSM, or NATO/UN medals for this. Some of these deployments are full on war fighting. Some of them are sitting in an air conditioned HQ in Tampa. Some are doing boardings in the straits of Malacca. Some are running a Third Location Decompression centre. The underlying principle is recognizing deployed operations. Each of these medals is defined by its criteria for overseas operations, so they cannot recognize DOMOPS.

We separately recognize “service in exceptional circumstances” with the SSM. We have bars for deploying to and training in Eastern Europe, not in a theatre of hostilities or active combat. We have a bar for working in Alert. We have a bar for doing Ranger patrols in remote areas of Canada. We have a bar for doing humanitarian work. All of these are worthy enough of recognizing.

So, why not DOMOPS? Is there anything less worthy of recognition for cumulative service fighting wildfires, working floods, providing armed CAF presence to major security events, or providing support to pandemic medical care? Some of these deployments physically suck more, or are more dangerous, or take more out of the members than other things that have existing honours and recognition. So why sustain a status quo that basically says we see these domestic deployments as less meaningful or worthy of recognition than others? A DOMOPS bar for the SSM would be a perfect fit and wouldn’t require creating anything new or altering existing criteria.

Finally, pure pragmatism, such recognition would also open a door for messaging external to CAF, letting Canadians see CAF members being recognized for serving and protecting Canadians and Canadian interests here at home. That’s not a bad thing.

I have no skin in the game. I’m out, and my own DOMOPS time would be insufficient to qualify for anything, so I’m not pushing for my own shiny here.

Mark this day on your calendar! We agreed on something lol ;)

Just make all named Operations, domestic or international, tax-free. Bling on the uniform doesn't pay the bills.

Just make all named Operations, domestic or international, tax-free. Bling on the uniform doesn't pay the bills.

Tax relief is explicitly tied to risk rating, which is reasonable.

I think we are overdue to provide recognition for pers who are deployed on DOPOPS.

My objection to the SSM is because we already overuse the SSM. I'd rather see DOMOPS represented by a new medal, that is specifically for DOMOPS, rather than the "Maybe you went to Alert, Latvia, Asia, the North Sea, Germany, who knows?" medal.

Hell, reuse the SSM medal itself, and add a new DOMOPS ribbon, then place all DOMOPS under the new ribbon, as well as Alert. Make it red and white to reflect the Canadian flag.

Well said.

CAF members do some awesome and sometimes very dangerous and unpleasant work in Canada. Oka. Swissair 111. Not to mention all the really sketchy stuff SAR Techs and their aircrews get involved in.

Why not recognize that in a formal and public way. Or is an MPRR entry still deemed to be recognition enough?

I think we are overdue to provide recognition for pers who are deployed on DOPOPS.

My objection to the SSM is because we already overuse the SSM. I'd rather see DOMOPS represented by a new medal, that is specifically for DOMOPS, rather than the "Maybe you went to Alert, Latvia, Asia, the North Sea, Germany, who knows?" medal.

Hell, reuse the SSM medal itself, and add a new DOMOPS ribbon, then place all DOMOPS under the new ribbon, as well as Alert. Make it red and white to reflect the Canadian flag.

I’ll totally buy that. I’d be good with a separate and distinct medal/ribbon combo for DOMOPS. I went with SSM bar simply because existing criteria come closest, but nothing prevents instituting a new honour.

Radical Idea here, but could we perhaps just use the OSM with a distinct ribbon? Make it the inverse of the OSM-Humanitas (red with white edges) ?

It's cheaper to get new ribbon made than to have a new medal or bar struck. Plus I would reckon it would be less staff work for DHH.

Just a thought for a petition that probably won't see traction.

Radical Idea here, but could we perhaps just use the OSM with a distinct ribbon? Make it the inverse of the OSM-Humanitas (red with white edges) ?

It's cheaper to get new ribbon made than to have a new medal or bar struck. Plus I would reckon it would be less staff work for DHH.

Can’t. The OSM regulations explicitly specify “outside of Canada”.

That would work as well, regulations can be changed.

This is something I had a long discussion about with someone at work a couple of weeks ago. Essentially we recognize our people poorly, because we fall into the lazy trap of using "Expedition" as a catch-all for missions that should have their own ribbon. I got the OSM Expedition for OP Caribe, and got days toward my bar for it on OP Artemis.

How hard would it have been to make an OSM Caribbean and Central America, as well as an OSM SWA, or OSM Arabian Sea?

This sort of thing would be a better use of DHH's time than replacing Heart of Oak with a bland Heart of Inoffensive, or whatever they decide on.

Back