• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some family info...


Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I am compiling a family history, and was wondering if anyone here could enlighten me so to speak... There is a lot of information in my post so I highlighted my questions...

My research revolves round both Grandparents on my fathers side.

My Grandfather joined the militia in Hamilton in the 30s and then joined the RHLI at the outbreak of WWII.

    This information was from a letter my Grandmother wrote me.  Where would I look to confirm his role in the Militia? How would I find out what militia unit this would have been?
  I know for certain he was in the RHLI, and was wounded at Dieppe. I have a copy of the Hamilton Spectator and the Globe and Mail listing him as L/Cpl Robert Alexander McKenzie, and showing his  photo as a Dieppe casualty.  (As a side note, when I asked about the large scar on is shoulder as a kid, he used to tell me Grandma bit him ;-)

What role would a Lance Corporal play? What is the distinction, as I have seen conflicting information online.

    From my Grandmother's letter, she states he was transferred to back to Canada to the Brockville OTC camp.  Here he was a Sergent.


Does anyone know of any other sources on info on the Brockville OTC?

This camp was also apparently home to the HQ of the CWACs.  My Grandmother was also a Sergent serving in the CWACs.  It was here they met, and later married.  He was still serving at the time. Would I be able to request the service records of a CWAC also? Does anyone know of any good sources for CWAC history? My Grandmother passed away 13 years ago.

The reason I ask is, my Grandfather is now 91, and has never really spoken about his Military service, he always deflected our questions with humour because I believe the memories, especially of Dieppe to just be too painful.

I believe it is just a too important part of our family history, and Canadian history (the Dieppe experience specifically) not to document in some way. My hope is to video record him as he speaks of not only his military service, but his life in general.  Before I attempt this, my hope is to have as many facts as I can, and let him fill in the blanks, or add the eyewitness information as he sees fit.  I also hope to get his permission to request his service records. I have been doing the same thing, tracing our family history back about 275 years in Scotland, and he has responded favorably so far.

I have been in contact with the RHLI, and hope to visit their Regimental Museum as soon as I can.  They were pleased to hear of another surviving Dieppe veteran, and asked if I would share my Grandfather's story with them when complete.  With his permission, I hope to.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give, and thank you all for taking the time to read my post.

Scott McKenzie
Morewood, ON

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Since your grandfather is still living, get him to sign a letter requesting a copy of his service record. He can receive an uncensored copy, which you will not be able to get until 20 years after he dies.


Requests for Information

We try to answer inquiries within 30 days; however, due to the large number of inquiries being received, we are currently experiencing delays in our response times. Clients who submit a written request should expect to wait six months for a response. Priority service is given to people who require documentation to prove that they qualify for pensions, allowances, claims and other benefits, therefore, these types of requests should be clearly identified.

For projects involving research in a large number of files, the request will be assessed by our staff to determine if current resources can accommodate such an extensive commitment.

How to Send an Inquiry Concerning Your Own or Another Individual's Records

    * Your request must be signed.
    * To identify a file, we require surname, full given name(s), date of birth, and service number or social insurance number.
    * If you do not know the date of birth, service number or S.I.N. (social insurance number), secondary information (e.g., the names of next of kin, postings, dates of service, place of enlistment) can assist in identifying the correct individual.
    * Consult the section below on Access Restrictions.
    * Please specify what document(s) you require. If you are doing family history research, we recommend that you request a "genealogy package," which will include copies of selected documents from the file that highlight/summarize the individual's service.
    * We do not accept email inquiries for these records. Inquiries must be sent by mail or fax.
    * Your request can be written as a letter or you can print off a blank copy of the Application for Military Service Information form available in [PDF 663 KB] or [RTF 44,516 KB] format, which should be filled in, signed and sent by mail or fax.
      (Download Freeware)
    * Inquiries should be sent by mail or fax to:

ATIP and Personnel Records Division
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N4
Fax: 613-947-8456

PS: don't just get the genealogy package, the other documents sometimes include bits and pieces of information that will also be useful to your research


Reaction score
Thanks very much for the tip.. especially about not just the geneology package, I would have just selected that one given the options.

Anyone else have any suggestions on my other questions? 

Thanks again,