• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Some Canadians with dual citizenship restricted on using foreign passport.

Chispa

Inactive
Reaction score
OTTAWA — A new rule requiring some Canadians with dual citizenship to use a Canadian passport to enter the country takes effect today.

The federal government announced the rule earlier this year — it doesn’t apply to those who have dual Canadian-American citizenship.

A new electronic system will scan passports at check in to verify that all passengers boarding flights have the appropriate documents to enter Canada.

The government was set to start enforcing the new rules at the end of September, but held off until today because some travellers complained that they didn’t get enough notice to get a Canadian passport.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/11/10/some-canadians-with-dual-citizenship-restricted-on-using-foreign-passport

I have Dual Citizenship, use my Euro Passport when traveling, what now I can’t enter Canada my place of residence since 1967,
then I will renounce my Canadian Citizenship and just be a permanent resident.

Would be nice to know “Some,” points too which countries????

Why you must travel with a valid Canadian passport: Starting November 10, 2016, a new Government of Canada electronic system will verify that all passengers have an appropriate travel document before they can board a flight to Canada. This process will happen automatically when your travel document is scanned during check-in for your flight.

This change is part of a broader Government of Canada initiative aimed at ensuring that all Canada-bound passengers have appropriate travel documents to enter the country before they board their flight.

For Canadian citizens, including dual Canadian citizens, you must present an acceptable travel document that shows that you are a Canadian. This means you need a valid Canadian passport (or a Canadian temporary passport, or a Canadian emergency travel document) to allow airline check-in staff and border officials to confirm that you are Canadian.

A valid Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel document that provides proof that you are a citizen and have the right to enter Canada without being subjected to immigration screening. Make sure that the expiry date of the passport is well beyond your planned return date.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/dual-canadian-citizens.asp

Not a big deal for travel to and from most places. That being said, a good number of countries require entry AND exit stamps in the same document, so one has to exercise care if traveling on two passports.

You are missing the other change that makes this story have a little more sense. As of 1 Nov, all non Canadians (except our southern cousins) you require an eTA to enter the country.

https://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/entering-canada

This is why the notice posted above was sent out, so Canadian citizens wouldn't be all put out when they tried to enter the country on their other passport and didn't have the eTA or other valid travel documents (visas, etc.). It is meant to speed up the process. You can still use your other passport, you just need to request an eTA. That being said, the automated system probably won't like you putting in a primary address from Canada, and you'll have a hell of a time at customs and immigration upon entry (if they will even let you on the airplane to start with).

captloadie said:
You can still use your other passport, you just need to request an eTA. That being said, the automated system probably won't like you putting in a primary address from Canada, and you'll have a hell of a time at customs and immigration upon entry (if they will even let you on the airplane to start with).

Nope, from the CIC website

Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents cannot apply for an eTA.

That being said I think this is a good measure, if you want entry into Canada as a citizen, then prove you're a citizen.  Should save time on the reception end for all the other Canadians who are using Canadian passports.

:goodpost:

Exactly. A lot less hassle coming back into Canada if you have Canadian documentation.

I find the same when I go back into the US, simply because I have a Green Card.

Unless they are doing random checks, I've never spent more than 2 minutes at a CBP check point, either flying or driving in.

I've contacted my consulate, waiting for reply, my understanding is, all I need is a eTA, funny went with my Euro Passport for few days in the USA ca 3 months ago, showed at crossing and coming back with no issue ca 2 min., although I showed other ID's showing I live in Canada.

Noted that on my EU passport it clearly states complete residence address, Que, Canada....I have my Que D L, Medic Regi Card, plus all cards showing I live in Canada..

Advised I can only travel with only one passport, if I do, I get fined??

Will check if eTA dose not apply if your permanent resident, or Dual C....

If your American/Canadian all is good.....

One more thing.....When I first entered Canada in 67 was issued, attached to my passport, that paper from Immigration Canada. Once Canadian C.. on all Canadian passports, that paper was stapled on It, even in my recent EU passport.... Surprised that paper lasted sooo long.....

C.U.

Back