• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldiers who smoke

InfantryWannabee

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm no smoker, never have been, never will be. I just thought of something I thought was interesting though: are there a lot of soldiers in the canadian forces who smoke nowadays? I know there was a lot of them a long time ago, but I thought maybe with the whole health craze north americas gone through in the last little while the numbers may have decreased.

yes there are.. lol

smoking is literally a national sport in the army.

I will quote one of the funniest things I've ever heard personally on base:

It was while I was working in the GSH, around 1600hrs when the 2VP were just finishing group PT. About 5 or 6 guys in a smaller group walked by my desk and stopped before going outside. One pulled out a pack of cigarettes and said;

"Gentlemen, let us replenish our energy by the smoking of a cigarette" in a mock english accent. In a similar manner, another one said "My friends, to cancer" as he held up his smoke. The five then went out and each lit up and left to head back to Kapyong.

And I think that about answers the question

I think I have noticed a decline in smoking since I first started in 1971.

Try this thread as well :

Smoking
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/918.0.html

I would say only about 20 per cent of soldiers smoke anymore.  Who can afford to?  Some just smoke on deployment or on exercise...

Gunner said:
I would say only about 20 per cent of soldiers smoke anymore.   Who can afford to?   Some just smoke on deployment or on exercise...

Wonder who??  :-X

;D

Gunner said:
Don't break the first rule of deployment... :threat:

Which is " get  drunk upon return and blad out everything about everyone to your wife/girlfreind so everyone knows" rule  ;D

end sarcasm !

There is alot better support network these days for smokers that want to quit (ie: the butt out program and prizes from canex for the spring "I QUIT" program.And with the price of smokes rising combined with the no smoking near defence buildings makes smoking too much of a pain in the a**.

tomahawk6 said:
I think I have noticed a decline in smoking since I first started in 1971.
I agree with you Tommy also the imbibing of a good pint or two.
But there again it's a new Generatiion were some of said Generation can't handle the life so to speak. ;)

I dont smoke. But when Im doing anything with the Navy I do. I didnt and I always got tasked while others stood around smoking. So being a keen indivdual I started smoking and now I dont have that problem. I just kind've stand around with a ciggie in my hand...suckers.

When I did my BMQ/SQ last summer, 6 of us in a platoon of 50 smoked. By the time we left Shilo, there were 23 in the platoon who smoked regularly, plus 6 or 7 who did so in the field.

I remember a MCpl once asking me why I smoked so much in the field. I told him I wanted to enhance the cancer content in my body. Didn't bug me about smoking again

Spr.Earl said:
I agree with you Tommy also the imbibing of a good pint or two.
But there again it's a new Generatiion were some of said Generation can't handle the life so to speak. ;)

Hey, it's YOUR generation that's bringing about all the non-smoking legislation there gramps  ;D  My generation's too young to be making rules about not smoking in the mess and around defense establishments.

Know what? I've been smoking since I was thirteen, been drinking about the same, was out of the house living on my own at 14 1/2. I'm now in my fifties, haven't changed anything and don't want to. Don't infringe on anyone else, if I can help it, and am sympathetic and obliging to those that don't share my lifestyle. I only ask the same in return. Don't preach to me or treat me like the plaque. You don't have to like my lifestyle to like me. I know what I'm doing and the consequences involved. I don't need convincing or preaching. I'll quit when I'm ready or dead. On my terms, my choice, not societies.

recceguy said:
Know what? I've been smoking since I was thirteen, been drinking about the same, was out of the house living on my own at 14 1/2. I'm now in my fifties, haven't changed anything and don't want to. Don't infringe on anyone else, if I can help it, and am sympathetic and obliging to those that don't share my lifestyle. I only ask the same in return. Don't preach to me or treat me like the plaque. You don't have to like my lifestyle to like me. I know what I'm doing and the consequences involved. I don't need convincing or preaching. I'll quit when I'm ready or dead. On my terms, my choice, not societies.

Seen, and agree.

BeadWindow said:
I dont smoke. But when Im doing anything with the Navy I do. I didnt and I always got tasked while others stood around smoking. So being a keen indivdual I started smoking and now I dont have that problem. I just kind've stand around with a ciggie in my hand...suckers.

That's like people who stand around in the field holding a pick axe or shovel.  A Mcpl comes along looking for a hand in some work and asks the soldier what they are doing to which they reply "I was told to hold this".  The Mcpl leaves and the young pte continues to stand there doing nothing, holding his shovel.

Mopo_26 said:
When I did my BMQ/SQ last summer, 6 of us in a platoon of 50 smoked. By the time we left Shilo, there were 23 in the platoon who smoked

That's entirely the result of being in Shilo.  ;D

If you really want to make friends.. or enemies...
And you don't smoke

On long exercises... guys run out of smokes.. and if there
is no canteen........

Stowe a few packs in your ruck.  Amazing the markup you can
get off desperate smokers.

Is it nice? NO.  I've never done it.. but I've seen people
pay through the nose on exercise when they've run out.

Now... if you don't want to have friends.. go ahead and try that.

I never run out of smokes in the field. My Utility pouch generally contains a carton of smokes, 2 packs of Captain Black's cigars, and maybe a couple of Cubans. You'd be surprised how many officers come to get cigars when they find out about them

Back