• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SKOP

MedCorps

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the C2 Support Kit Overhead Protection (SKOP) is still in the system?

Likewise is the Mark III Field Shelter (MEXE) skill in the system?

Thanks,

MC

I never actually used it but I do remember having SKOP kits in the BQMS when I worked at 4AD Regt. Haven't spotted any in 1RCHA though...

I've seen 2 new in bag SKOP kits in the last year, but was also told that inventory is not being replenished, so what you have on the shelf is all you'll get.

If I am not mistaken SKOP kits are in the system but where OP RESTRICTED last time I used them.... MEXE shelters haven't seen or heard of those in years.......

The SKOP are still in the system, according to CGCS, but require a QD message (last update 2002)

I have two cases of them on the warehouse shelf in the Regiment for TAT. On purpose. They are OPs Restricted as I don't believe anywhere in Canada does trenches anymore (You know, Environmental Act and all that stuff).

ArmyVern said:
I have two cases of them on the warehouse shelf in the Regiment for TAT. On purpose. They are OPs Restricted as I don't believe anywhere in Canada does trenches anymore (You know, Environmental Act and all that stuff).

We do trenches all the time and use SKOP kits quite frequently. No idea where they come from beyond the BQ though.

I think the problem is that we are not teaching them anymore to soldiers and as such we have a whole generation of NCMs / Officers who do not know what a SKOP is, why they should want one, and what to do with one even if they were issued it. 

I was shocked (once again) when I asked a handful of Jr Officers (and then Cpl / MCpl / Sgts) if they knew what a SKOP was.  A few had heard about it, one had carried "the brick of death" on phase training PT as a punishment for some crime against humanity, but not one of them had actually seen one set up in a real demo, let alone set one up themselves on exercise / training.

Not one of them in the group had even heard of MEXE.  I think I might be getting old... sad days.  Man, I hope Syria does not have artillery. 

Hmmm... if anyone here has the power... procure more, drop the op restriction to ensure at least schools can order them (if not also Op units), and someone ensure they are in the pams / MLPs at the schools. 

Jeffb was typing when I was writing this... Jeff... I want you as my trench partner come the next big war.  I call dibs.

MC

I requested SKOP kits in an ADREP for my section before heading on the FTX on Mod 6. No dice, returned with a big red-ink NO.  Half the people on the course had no idea what I was asking for anyway.

MedCorps said:
Jeffb was typing when I was writing this... Jeff... I want you as my trench partner come the next big war.  I call dibs.

MC

Done. Having the doc next to you can't be anything but helpful!

Cripes, these came in the system just about the time I became old enough to drink legally.

Old Sweat said:
Cripes, these came in the system just about the time I became old enough to drink legally.

And I am old enough to have drank whilst under a SKOP kit.  ;D

Though still a little shy of your age.

ArmyVern said:
And I am old enough to have drank whilst under a SKOP kit.  ;D

Though still a little shy of your age.

I can't wait for your memoirs, especially if there are lots of pictures.  :cheers:

Old Sweat said:
I can't wait for your memoirs, especially if there are lots of pictures.  :cheers:

I think I will take a brick pic tomorrow at work ... so the young 'uns know what we are reminiscing about.  ;D

I havent seen a MEXE shelter since i built on on my QL3 in 1993.

Me thinks I have one or two out in the garage. unused ones.

Still in the system, and still taught to the engineers in Gagetown. DP1 Mod 4: Field Defenses. It's taught alongside the Hesco, sandbag walls and concrete mixing.

I have NEVER used them outside of courses though, so not too sure how widely they're used

There are at least 4 mexe shelters still in use in Wainwright trg area.  I visited them in July to inspect them to ensure they had not collapsed.  They were dug in several yrs ago by CMTC COEFOR and we still use them every exercise for wpns caches and living quarters for our insurgents.

Jay4th said:
There are at least 4 mexe shelters still in use in Wainwright trg area.  I visited them in July to inspect them to ensure they had not collapsed.  They were dug in several yrs ago by CMTC COEFOR and we still use them every exercise for wpns caches and living quarters for our insurgents.

SKOPs, when done properly, (which I haven't seen in about 20 years) will withstand near anything. Overdriving by tanks and protection from artillery, except for direct hits. The SKOP is only supposed to be the initial layer. Logs, sand, etc are supposed to go on top for further protection. The SKOP provides the base but is not designed as a stand alone. Anything available could be used to increase the protection, but the initial plastic sheet, when used alone, only stopped rain.

I've used them....  in Germany... during Gun Camp, Graf... I think (perhaps Munster), in the late 70's.  Never seen one since! :camo:

Back